Disabling the DPF for Volkswagen (VW) 1.6 and 2.0 TDI without a custom tune
Register
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

Thumbs up Disabling the DPF for Volkswagen (VW) 1.6 and 2.0 TDI without a custom tune

Hello.

I think everybody knows that if you want to get rid of DPF, you need to get a custom tune. A bit of research shows that this might not be needed in all cases. There exists a theoretical ability to disable the DPF using VCDS. In fact, this thing does nothing for the power of your car, nor should affect the default map; it will only disable the active regen cycles. Obviously the DPF filter itself will need to be removed/destroyed/smashed out. The Catalytic converter can stay in place.

I will not post any procedures or guidance on how to do that simply because many people will start experimenting with it and risk messing up the emissions equipment. This has NOT been tested on a single car and is just a theory.

At this point I need a volunteer with Euro-spec TDI (2010+) who are removing their DPF and considering a retune for achieving this. The procedure might be the last effort to get away without the need to get a custom tune. If you have an Euro-spec TDI and consider a delete send me a private message. Once we confirm this is working, I will post the exact instructions on how to do this for everyone.

Once again - this applies ONLY TO EURO-SPEC TDI and this HAS NOT BEEN TESETED in practice to actually work.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts

Nice, but one question come to my mind, why you post this if you haven't tested?

Need a guinea pig maybe? I think it would not be so difficult for you (if you have that skills with VCDS means you have practiced over many cars) to get your hands on one and test yourself before posting. Just my guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to morgano For This Useful Post:

teamtuner (30th July, 2016)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

I am not planning to get rid of DPF. My car will not pass annual inspection in the area I live in. Besides, my TDI is pre-2010.

As I have mentioned in the original message, this might be a last attempt to get rid of DPF without messing with the ECU/tune.
    I mean, if somebody is getting rid of DPF naturally, and considering a Tune or any other software modification just to get rid of limp mode and regens, this might be an opportunity for them to get away without messing too much.

If this won't work, then they will need to get a custom tune/firmware anyway.

Is it a bit clearier now? Hope you understand.

Thanks.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

Bringing this to the top. I believe there are people having 1.6 and 2.0 Common-Rail TDIs and considering to get rid of DPF.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

To the top once again with hopes someone might notice it.. These engines are quite popular... Almost any modern diesel VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda has got it....

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    661 Posts

get down mate...who want dpf off also want some more power...also egr off...and here is not laboratory for your test...retur here when will have tested solutions
    inside forum:ask me about...i will tell you all that i know
    make me working for you...i will give you my paypal account
    outside forum:
    chiptuning,egr,dpf,add blue,dtc,Eu clones

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

teamtuner, seems that you are experienced. I was considering getting EGR off, however, some people who are in tuning business told me this is not one of the best ideas. Resons for that would be significantly longer warm-ups (I like in chill climate zone) and reduced fuel economy (but I don't remember if that's for shorter trips or longer trips). Instead they offered either leaving the EGR stock oradjusting it somehow dynamically.

I would like to ask, are these facts about disabling EGR true? Thanks.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts

Default Disabling the DPF for Volkswagen (VW) 1.6 and 2.0 TDI without a custom tune

Best way is you do it on your car and test for a few hundred kilometrrs, that way you have first hand info and no need to turst any "people who are in tuning business" and their way to see or tell how things are. Always first hand info is best, and you take your own conclussions.

For me and my car for example egr off is a must.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to morgano For This Useful Post:

twincam (31st July, 2016)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    661 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hid3 View Post
    teamtuner, seems that you are experienced. I was considering getting EGR off, however, some people who are in tuning business told me this is not one of the best ideas. Resons for that would be significantly longer warm-ups (I like in chill climate zone) and reduced fuel economy (but I don't remember if that's for shorter trips or longer trips). Instead they offered either leaving the EGR stock oradjusting it somehow dynamically.

I would like to ask, are these facts about disabling EGR true? Thanks.
    there are two things on your vag car about egr ...
    1.egr active will do hot air inside your car before the engine colant will be hot to assure good temperature inside your car in the winter...hot exhaust gas,by egr,will heat the antifreeze from egr circuit and will assure temperature for inside of your car
    2.egr non active...will reduce the smoke returned to engine...function of engine is optimal with oxigen and fuell...not oxigen,smoke and fuell...closing egr,the engine will work better and increase also power by a good combustion...
    so...advantage and not...also...closing egr,the quantity of smoke will increase into dpf filter...so,need also working this filter
    inside forum:ask me about...i will tell you all that i know
    make me working for you...i will give you my paypal account
    outside forum:
    chiptuning,egr,dpf,add blue,dtc,Eu clones

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

Alright, now some updates on this!
    We had a volunteer to do the DPF off the way I offered. And it seems it worked!!!! The car in question was Polo 1.6 TDI MY2012.
    At the same time I have done the coding, the DPF was dropped and carefully cut open. There are two parts: catalyst and the DPF. DPF was smashed out and welded back. It looks stock!

So here are the conclusions:
    - DPF internals were physically removed and it looks stock
    - ECU coding was amended (no need to remove the ECU, VCDS is sufficient for this)
    - Pressure sensors left as is and they were fully working in this car
    - Exhaust temperature sensors left as is and they were fully working in this car
    - The car has already driven ~500-600 km with no ill effects - active regens seem to have stopped happening

Also, I think one thing is worth mentioning. The owner of this car was driving with a boost leak for a while. It seems this lead to excessive DPF clogging and very frequent (and probably incomplete?) regens. Finally it came to a point that a regen was happening every trip.
    Always beware of boos tleaks and fix them ASAP if you car has got a DPF and you don't want to damage it.

If anyone is interested in the procedure to remove the DPF, drop me a PM. Make sure you have an access to VCDS and complete autoscan of the car in question.

Thanks a good luck to everyone!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hid3 For This Useful Post:

chli1976 (20th January, 2017), levisdj (25th September, 2017), tiguan (28th August, 2016)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

One more note, which's worth mentioning, I think.

While you are getting rid of DPF, go ahead and get rid of the "turbo resonance silencer". It's some kind of muffler at the turbo outlet.
    This will make the turbo spool faster, the car will be more responsive, fuel economy will increase by about 0.1 l/100 km. No side effects (increased turbo sound, etc) were observed on 1.6 TDI.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    344 Posts

I read the explanations about the egr operation of certain experts and I am unwilling to have your paypal account....
    One simple question for "experts", what?s EGR principal function in engine?
    I have had a bad experience with Fly ....

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    379 Posts

As far as I have searched, Wikipedia describes EGR function pretty good.
    There are both, pros and cons on BOTH: having EGR disabled and having it left in place... Short answer is "it depends". For each car/driver/driving scenario the results will vary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this still available? I have mk7 2014. 2.0tdi