Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CAS4 potential corruption ICM faults

Hi,

I hope someone can help with this one.
    I have a 2010 BMW 5 Series estate, a previous locksmith had tried to program a key and couldn’t get it working, apparently, he was with the car for over 8 hours! Then just walked away.
    I've done loads of CAS4 and 4+ and never had an issue, but I'm guessing the previous guy has messed with something.
    Ill give as much info as I can.

This is CAS4 not CAS4+, so no need for ISN just needed to read the Dflash and Pflash on bench as a back up.

I reinstalled the CAS without writing anything back to it, generated a dealer key on bench with d flash file and synced the key to the vehicle holding it to steering column.
    All went fine, key works fine for remote and keyless start, but there are a load of faults throughout the car.
    All faults seem to point to the ICM having lost all its coding.
    I haven’t written anything, just generated a dealer key from D Flash I had saved for the car, so I wouldn’t have corrupted the data, but the previous guy may have (he refuses to talk to me about what he did and didn’t do and just hangs up, standard cowboy, so I dont know if he only messed with the CAS or tried other things)

Is there any chance if the D or P Flash is corrupted on the CAS it could show up as issues with the ICM coding?

I have attached the D and P Flash files from the CAS, if anyone is able to, can you have a look to see if these are ok or is there corruption?
    If they are corrupt, could anyone repair them or any idea for a solution.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Customer is a nice guy and seems to have been screwed by the last guy.

Software version 007.000.041
    Vin in CAS matches car : WBAMX12080C497407
    ISN from DME Matches ISN in CAS : 127DC88698B4FD86455F76CCC71E03B1
    Mask : 5M48H

I have attached:
    photo of the CAS unit sticker
    Dflash and Pflash from CAS
    Diagnostic report of faults on vehicle

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts

From dump you cant solve your problem. If the car starts and you have load of errors with coding you need to scan for errors first then
    with ESYS carryout coding of control units that it needs to be coded.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepi For This Useful Post:

Norton (22nd May, 2024), p1et (21st May, 2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pepi View Post
    From dump you cant solve your problem. If the car starts and you have load of errors with coding you need to scan for errors first then
    with ESYS carryout coding of control units that it needs to be coded.
    Hi pepi,

Thanks for your reply.
    I'm going back with ESYS next week as I didn't have it on the van at the time.

Perhaps I didn't word my question quite right.
    I was mainly asking if the CAS is corrupt, could it have cause the ICM errors to be showing and the coding fault be with the CAS not the ICM?

I can't see how the previous guy has managed to lose the coding in the ICM when he was only trying to add a key, he shouldn't have needed to touch the ICM or its coding so I assume the coding for the 2 are linked in someway, even if the CAS is just as passthrough to the ICM and that's where the issue is.

Just trying to get as much info on the issue as I can before I head back to it.
    Hopefully recoding the ICM with ESYS solves all issues, but if the ICM cannot be coded I would be looking back at the CAS and for the original F up he made.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    397 Posts

Nice to have the time!
    I buggered up a CAS4 car and guy was a right bugger - and i knew him well!

If all else fails just order replacement CAS comes next day -existing key will still work and CAS requires min coding.
    However, will cost approx $500

But you seem to think ICM error?
    Wouldn't know best bet is dealer kit or i use autohex and their tech support is good
    Solidarity with Ukraine