So it works???
    Quote Originally Posted by makura View Post
    I got mine from autotoolscan.com and the sales person is May

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi i need help with Xprog-M adapters
    Could anyone make high resolution photo all of adapters from both sides ?
    especially P/C 1-002-0004 and send me to:

lukzer@gmail.com

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Can anyone comment on the in-circuit programming with this device?

I've successfully read and written a 95320 in circuit. I tried a 95120 and could not read/write in circuit - had to remove the chip. I tried a 93c66 and could read but not write in circuit - had to remove the chip. I made triple sure the connections were clean and good so that wasn't the issue. Some users here have said they never do in-circuit because of the problems, but others say they only do in-circuit.

I'm wondering if this is related to it being a clone; using the usb as power; using the usb with the usb driver instead of serial port; or it just being the way in circuit programming goes.

Also, my device did not come with an external power supply. I don't know what voltage I need, and/or the polarity of the connector.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    961 Posts

nothing to do with clone sometimes the crystal needs to be bridged to enable in circuit writing but better to be safe and remove for read/write purposes whenever possible
    Oh and by the way if my post has been at all helpfull
    please press the little THANKS tab

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teerak2uk View Post
    nothing to do with clone sometimes the crystal needs to be bridged to enable in circuit writing but better to be safe and remove for read/write purposes whenever possible
    Thanks for your post teerak2uk. You are probably right in general, but I think there may be other factors at play with these. Unfortunately I do not have a power supply and do not know the polarity of the connection (positive in the center or outside) or the voltage needed. If someone could tell me the polarity and voltage, I could test it.

I read another person's opinion that the capacitors do not store enough power to make it through a read or write and verify cycle. This would make sense because the errors occur at random points. It may be the capacitors do not store enough power or the USB cannot provide enough constant power to run the entire cycle.

To test this theory, I played around with the latency of the USB driver (another user in this thread mentioned usb driver problems and latency). I slowed it down enough so the caps could remain charged during the cycle. This helped a lot, but it does still encounter errors every so often.

Anyone who is having problems reading/writing in circuit might want to try adjusting the USB latency. Now to know whether this is related to the clone xprogm, or all xprogm

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So I was reading/verifying in-circuit with no errors, but I noticed the data did not look correct ... so I removed the chip and read out of circuit and it looked fine.

This is scary because even with no read errors, one can never trust the in-circuit read ... so what is the point!?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    961 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog1 View Post
    Thanks for your post teerak2uk. You are probably right in general, but I think there may be other factors at play with these. Unfortunately I do not have a power supply and do not know the polarity of the connection (positive in the center or outside) or the voltage needed. If someone could tell me the polarity and voltage, I could test it.

I read another person's opinion that the capacitors do not store enough power to make it through a read or write and verify cycle. This would make sense because the errors occur at random points. It may be the capacitors do not store enough power or the USB cannot provide enough constant power to run the entire cycle.

To test this theory, I played around with the latency of the USB driver (another user in this thread mentioned usb driver problems and latency). I slowed it down enough so the caps could remain charged during the cycle. This helped a lot, but it does still encounter errors every so often.

Anyone who is having problems reading/writing in circuit might want to try adjusting the USB latency. Now to know whether this is related to the clone xprogm, or all xprogm

Pos is centre pin

use 15v adaptor you may be able to use 12v but myself and other members are using 15v
    Oh and by the way if my post has been at all helpfull
    please press the little THANKS tab

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Guys I am pulling my hair out trying to read an MCU. It has a mask of 3K85K which I assume to be an MC68HC908AZ60A. It is 52 pin.

I have found the datasheet for this chip. The pin layout is the same as the 2.2.4. MC68HC08AS60/AS60A(PLCC52) diagram from the Xprogm manual.

I have connected all pins like in the diagram. I have placed a 16mhz crystal on pins 2 and 3. Everytime I try to read it just says device is silent, timout error.

I tried both USB and serial. I did change the 182 resistor to 162 like Zmann suggested, and measure 9.5v on vppR when I hit read. The only other thing I can think of is that my power supply is 12v (didn't find a 15v yet).

Is the wiring diagram wrong? Someone else asked what the optional and high-low mean, and someone responded with an answer that confused me.

I have connected:
    2 GND
    B3
    B4
    B5
    B6
    Vcc
    VppR

All just like the diagram. I am reading the chip out of circuit. I tried in circuit with no luck either ... I have spent 3 days trying to get this to work ... This is the first MCU I have tried and I just can't figure it out. Please help! Please don't simply say "get UPA-USB" or get "ETL" unless you are sure the XPROGm cannot support this MCU.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I found this post by Zmann http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...8as60a-183403/ helping a guy with problems reading with UPA-USB.

I am going to try to connect vdd and vdda, and vss and vssa tomorrow to see if it works ...

Zmann, I am amazed by your knowledge. I hope to one day know even half of what you know!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lawdog1 For This Useful Post:

poke708 (16th April, 2013)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    486 Posts

Reading off circuit? Im sure connection of VddA and VssA will help you. Found on some post said that Xprog-m is not a very friendly programmer to HC(9)08 mcu's I personally agree partially. Some HC(9)08 may not be consistent when running at higher freq. you may need to lower Xtal frequency to 8 or 4 Mhz to minimise unexpected problem.

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Thank you Zmann. I saw in one of your posts on another thread you posted pictures of some crystals you have on your bench. I saw you put a resistor between the pins of your 4mhz crystal. Should I do that too? If yes, what is the purpose of the resistor on the crystal?

Maybe one day you can teach a class on electrical engineering

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ST10F280 connecting

Hello
    You know how connect XPROG-M ,to ST10F280 .
    I mean pin of the programmer (GND ,B0 , B1 , B@ , B3 , B4 , B5 , B6 , B7 , +5V . . .etc) must connect to wich pin of the ST10F280 ( P15 (P3.11) , G15 (P0.4 ) , A3 (RSTIN) , N14 (P3.10) , A1 (VSS) A2 (VDD ) ) ??

Am I need to desolder something on the board , or I have to make something on the board ?

Thank you very much !!!

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
    Reading off circuit? Im sure connection of VddA and VssA will help you. Found on some post said that Xprog-m is not a very friendly programmer to HC(9)08 mcu's I personally agree partially. Some HC(9)08 may not be consistent when running at higher freq. you may need to lower Xtal frequency to 8 or 4 Mhz to minimise unexpected problem.
    Yes. Any HC(9)08 have baud rate crazy(boot). You need see datasheet and calcular. For example: you have baud 7200 in programmer, if set 7220 - read&write perfectly.
    Last edited by episcop; 24th March, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I think I am going to give up. I tried connecting vdd/vdda and vss/vssa but it didn't work. There is no baud setting in the xprog program, you can only change the windows settings. No matter what I do, I get the device is silent error. I put the chip back in circuit, and tried everything all over. I've spent way too much time trying to read this chip.

Could it be that it is security locked? I thought the Xprog-m was supposed to automatically bypass the security. I checked the settings and it just has "ff" for all security bytes. I don't think this is a security chip. It is from a GM airbag module.

There are just too many variables!! I can't win

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog1 View Post
    Thank you Zmann. I saw in one of your posts on another thread you posted pictures of some crystals you have on your bench. I saw you put a resistor between the pins of your 4mhz crystal. Should I do that too? If yes, what is the purpose of the resistor on the crystal?

Maybe one day you can teach a class on electrical engineering
    Parallel resistor to Xtal is to give some small bias/feedback current to the MCU internal circuit to maintain its operation in linear region. I cannot go technically indepth but doing that by the datasheet instruction.

I see someone dealing with Motorola/Freescale HC(9)08 MCU's with some diffculty with uncertainess whether the problem caused by the programmer/connection or by the so called 'Security Sequence SS', $XX-$XX-$XX-$XX-$XX-$XX-$XX-$XX

I would personally like to call it as a 'Memory Access Code' instead. If the right reading conditions are allowed the programmer and the HC(9)08 having a successful 'handshake', it does, NO MATTER what the input 'Memory Access Code' was. Read-out data correct or corrupted (e.g. outcome the constant code string like 'AD AD AD AD AD...') is another concern and can only be a direct effect to what the 'Memory Access Code' is input.