Register
    Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default 04 Chevy Silverado Odometer Error

I have heard of this issue but today was the first one I had come across my desk.

Board Powers up fine everything works just displays ODOMETER ERROR.

Things Checked

1. No Corrosion found on the board.

2. Re flowed all Solder Joints

3. Read the Miles on the chip everything looked correct.

4. Used SPS and Flashed Updated Firmware into the cluster.

What finally worked was flashing a bin from a 2003 and adjusting the miles. Not sure if its going to stay working but the cluster is now displaying miles. Customer is going to road test and let me know.

Has anyone had this issue before and if so what have been possible fixes?

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,831 Posts

Exactly what you did, write another dump to it and adjust the mileage. Can be caused by corrosion, or jump starting it with a battery charger on boost when the batter is dead.

One of the ones I repaired the mileage string was fine as well, but the dump was corrupted elsewhere. Another one the mileage was corrupted and editing it brought it back.

Another one from a Trailblazer had 150,000 Km on it, but after they boosted it with a battery charger it read 760,000.
    Last edited by clusters; 13th August, 2016 at 10:02 PM.
    Please DO NOT PM me asking for help.

Post in the forum, that is what it is here for.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clusters For This Useful Post:

ascrap2003 (25th September, 2017), borshch (27th November, 2017), GameTheoryOptimal (14th August, 2016), SPARTANAUTOWORX (13th August, 2016)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Sweet. I was nervous about the repair so I did it free of charge. I figured it would work but did not want to risk it.

Hey Clusters do you happen to have a fresh never programmed cluster bin file?

Reason I ask is because I have been playing with SPS to program miles to hours to the cluster. SPS will only allow you to program a New cluster. So I FF ed the entire bin file and it will read it and allow me to input miles but when it goes to write the miles says cluter seed error.

Thanks for the help.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,831 Posts

Sorry, I don't. I tried to change mileage on a virgin cluster once and it wouldn't write, the eeprom was locked. I know if you drive a 2003-2006 virgin 10-15 Km, then you can correct it unless it has a program cluster message. I do know the .bin is not all FF, there is info in a virgin .bin file. For 2007 up I have no idea.
    Please DO NOT PM me asking for help.

Post in the forum, that is what it is here for.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hmm Thanks for that bit of info. I dont really need to program the clusters this way but part of me wants to do it just to try and figure it out. I may just bite the bullet and buy a brand new speedometer from GM and copy the bin out before programming.

Have you messed with the 07 up ones? I read one cluster and that coding looks confusing.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I am working on a 2005 Chevy Silverado, does anyone have a eprom dump I can use to compare the files....

I lost VIS for some reason after odometer correction, trying to figure out what happened.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clusters View Post
    Sorry, I don't. I tried to change mileage on a virgin cluster once and it wouldn't write, the eeprom was locked. I know if you drive a 2003-2006 virgin 10-15 Km, then you can correct it unless it has a program cluster message. I do know the .bin is not all FF, there is info in a virgin .bin file. For 2007 up I have no idea.
    Thank you so much for your help on here just did my first ODO error GMT repair, somehow I already knew what to do, my memory flashed back to you talkin about jump startin causin this issue, i mentioned to the customer that this happens with jump starts and he looked at me like i was psychic haha!
    Had a issue Had a issue with my uploads so if you see one of my posts and need that dump let me know and I'll post it!