Arsenal may be entertaining on the pitch, but they lack a key player with "personality", according to Patrick Vieira.
Arsene Wenger's transfer activity has been recently lambasted with the Frenchman once again forced into a staunch defence of his actions on Saturday after calls from supporters to spend money after the 0-0 stalemate at Leicester.
Wenger remains hopeful of signing Shkodran Mustafi before Deadline Day, but Vieira, winner of three Premier League titles and four FA Cups with the Gunners, said: "My generation had lots of physically strong players. In this last five or six years, Arsenal went more with this type of mobile, technical players.

"When I watch Arsenal, yes they play good football. But I just have a feeling they are missing something - the physical presence, the personality.

'Wenger a shambles'

Arsene Wenger's transfer tactics questioned

"But on the other side the team is not doing as good as it used to and you need to win football matches. They've been disappointing, losing games they should have won."
Arsenal, who finished runners-up to the Foxes last season, have begun the new campaign in lacklustre fashion with the draw at the King Power Stadium coming on the back of a 4-3 defeat by Liverpool in their opener at the Emirates.
Vieira, manager of New York City, was captain of Arsenal during their 'Invincible' 2003/04 season and expressed his dismay that club legends aren't called upon with Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Tony Adams and Mikel Arteta all opting to work away from north London.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he would be willing to spend ?300m on the right player if he had the money

The 40-year-old added: "I'm disappointed not to have ex-Arsenal players working at Arsenal.
"It is good for the young players who could see a Thierry Henry, a Freddie Ljungberg, a Sol Campbell or a Martin Keown who have been at the club a good few years working in the academy, or working somewhere. I think they can do it a bit more.
"Players want to do it but do not have the opportunity. I don't understand it. The perfect example is Ajax. You see all the old players working for the club, on the field, in the office - the door is always open for them - but Arsenal don't do it and I don't know why."