Turbo compressor damage
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Turbo compressor damage

Hi guys,

I had strange noise coming from turbo so I disassembled the whole intake and when I got to the turbo I found damaged compressor wheel. On the pictures there can also be seen a problem with the oil return line. There is an oil leakage. Do you have any suggestions what could cause the damage. As far as I know this isn't ordinary intake FOD because they fins are kind of pitted. I think it is over-boosting or heat damage. What is your opinion?

14469351_10210212238763845_491348037_n.jpg14470919_10210212238203831_176120840_n.jpg

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I think it could be a problem does the t.charger run without oil and there was heat generated and that cos all that problem.

Sent from my GT-I8260 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

By looks of it, I'd say somethings has gone through your intake and damaged the intake compressor wheel and has eventually gone through the blades and probably done more damage inside the turbo, and possibly damaged the oil return, causing it to leak.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dunno87 For This Useful Post:

teamtuner (4th October, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

its sandblasted , air filter dameged , even carbon deposit can doo that , car is from vag ? its beter to use 5/30 oil that its dedicated do dpf engines = no carbon , and change every 10kkm , not 15kkm...30kkm
    Last edited by Pardul; 1st October, 2016 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

For how long do you own the car, does marks could be there for ages and you just notice now becouse you have a look at it! Dont think its heat related as its the coolder side of turbo. Im more of the opinion of dunno87. Does marks and the oil leak could well be 2 different issues! Sure there isnt damage on flexi bit of return pipe!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuz18t For This Useful Post:

dunno87 (3rd October, 2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes the car is Golf 5 2005 1.9. Thank you for your replies. I am using 5 40 synthetic oil from Castrol like on specification. I will have 5 30 on mind for sure. I own it for 2 years and at first I had strange sound. I was at the beach that day (the car was parked on sand) so I drove home about 50km and BOOM I got this sound. I first thought of something getting in from the pipes which are leading oil to the turbine. I am waiting for my CHRA which I bought from store called London Turbos, they said it is genuine comes with 2 year warranty and I will change the oil return and feed pipe as well as the banjo bolt. Also I will need to clean the engine from parts that were melted form the compressor wheel (from the fins) and change the oil and air filter and also clean the air intake. I will be glad if someone help me how to find the possible cause of this damage. Thank you all!
    Last edited by chafka; 4th October, 2016 at 02:30 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Carbon being pulled through to impeller
    Fcuk up now............... ask questions later

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    661 Posts