Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default hdmi over cat6 for zgemma stb box

Hi All

I am looking for some help with an issue I have with my newly acquired Zgemma.

So my LED is on the wall and all my cabling is hidden within the wall.

For some reason the zgemma doesnt want to play ball with the audio when using any one of the HDMIs already in the wall trunking. They are all the same make and brand.

I have tried a different HDMI cable altogether and that works fine with video and audio but it now looks messy as I have a cabling trailing. Problem I have now is the HDMI head also is too large to fit the entry in wall and then filter in whilst all the other cabling is in there. Even I was to pull a cable out I struggle to get a HDMI cable. The cables I brought originally were low profile and thin HDMI cables and I think this might be the reason why the Zgemma is having problems with the audio.

So I have been looking at a cable and the only one I can see to get through would be a cat6 cable, cut it off from one end and once its through the wall, recrimp the cable which I have done in the past so dont have an issue with this. So I am looking now at one of these HDMI over Cat6 extenders.

However I am confused with different models, using ebay as an example (as I dont want to spend too much money on an expensive solution) I can see there are no powered ones and powered ones, ones which require 2 CAT6 cables etc. the more expensive ones (?30+) require external power which shouldnt be an issue.

Could I get away with a cheap non powered one though, what is the difference? I am struggling to find a good comparison and what I WONT get with the non powered one. Why do some require 2 CAT6 and some only require 1? I am looking for audio and video delivery from the STB box so would 2 be better?

Examples are:

Non powered: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-H...cAAOSwuzRXfKRW

Powered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-.../dp/B002ECYEYA

If anyone has played around with HDMI over ethernet and has some recommendations please get in touch as I really want to sort this pain out once and for all.

Thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

I have always used the powered ones Single Cat6 from sender unit to receiver, you could try the cheap passive type and order from ebay if they dont work send them back

3. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

plasterer (5th November, 2016)