'I paid ?6,000 to an eBay fraudster. Why didn't the criminal's bank help me?'
Register
    V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,088 Posts

Default 'I paid ?6,000 to an eBay fraudster. Why didn't the criminal's bank help me?'

Victims of fraud struggle to navigate the complicated process of reporting the scam and often feel that the criminals have more rights than they do.

Some victims seek help and information from the bank used by the fraudsters, only to be told that data about the criminals? accounts cannot be disclosed because of data protection rules.

When one reader, Alistair Black, paid ?6,000 for a non-existent Harley-Davidson motorcycle on eBay, he thought the recipient bank would be best placed to stop the payment leaving the fraudster?s account.

However, when he tried to report the fraud to Nationwide, the criminal?s provider, it refused to help.

Banks have a duty only to their own customers ? in this case, the fraudster ? and could not tell Mr Black anything because of ?data protection?.

Mr Black also reported the crime to eBay, his local police in Rothesay, on the Isle of Bute, Scotland, and Action Fraud, the national cybercrime reporting service.

Mr Black, 62, a motorcycle enthusiast said he mentioned the fraud in passing to a staff member at his branch of Halifax, but didn?t think it could do anything as he had instructed it to make the payment.

Mr Black said he felt that he had been a ?bit of a fool?.

According to Mr Black, police said the criminal had withdrawn ?3,000 from a Nationwide branch in the south of England on the day of the transaction and then took out ?500 from a cash machine outside.

It was then that Nationwide became suspicious and froze the account, although it would not say what caused the alert.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/pa...072100345.html
    Tools owned: Hammer, Chisel, Crowbar, Punch, Chainsaw, Cutter and Brain!!!

Did you know People will question all the good things they hear about you but believe all the bad without a second thought.

Note:
    All information given is to be used for educational purposes only and should not be taken seriously.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to super jumbe For This Useful Post:

Meat-Head (12th February, 2017)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,088 Posts

?6,000 is lots of money to lose, its time people should realise this sort of transaction should always been carried out cash on delivery, should have known by now the criminals have more rights than the victims!!!
    Another point with ebay & Paypal they will hold victims money in there’s accounts but are not willing to hold customers money till the goods are delivered is the reason criminals are taking piss.

Did you know People will question all the good things they hear about you but believe all the bad without a second thought.

Note:
    All information given is to be used for educational purposes only and should not be taken seriously.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to super jumbe For This Useful Post:

Meat-Head (12th February, 2017), mikroel (12th February, 2017)

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,769 Posts

Didn't you get stung by palpal sj?

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meat-Head For This Useful Post:

super jumbe (12th February, 2017)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    Didn't you get stung by palpal sj?
    Yes this was the reason, they get more from victims then fraudsers...

Note:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to super jumbe For This Useful Post:

Meat-Head (12th February, 2017)