Phaeton/Touareg DEAD Kessy, need SKC from EEPROM?? :(
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Phaeton/Touareg DEAD Kessy, need SKC from EEPROM?? :(

Hey guys, Just made an account here but I've been lurking on these forums for a while Glad to join!

So...

My US Phaeton had it's windows open before the harsh winter and lots of rain water got inside and froze (ice skating, anyone?) - after thawing the car out (it's spring, finally!) I pulled all the carpets out to dry and drained all the water - however, the car, of course, won't start. The Kessy Module (3D0 909 135 K, SIEMENS VDO) was soaked and completely rusted over the winter.

I purchased a replacement Kessy module from a Touareg with the same exact part number, along with the key that went with the car. I have the VIN for the car as well - when I first plugged the new module into the car, the ignition came on as if the key was inserted (but it wasn't) and everything worked as if the ignition was on - windows, transmission gear select, nav, you name it.

I should have probably used VAG CAN+K Commander to pull the dump from the ECU in order to get the SKC, but I first tried inserting the old key to see if it would start the car - no luck. Immobilizer active. And then the ignition went off. Neither keys will turn the ignition on, but the keys that are tied to the new kessy module will unlock the car. Since I can't get the ignition to turn on, I can no longer connect to any of the modules of the car, including the ECU, (but I can connect to the new Kessy module, but it needs the SKC) so I can't pull the SKC from the car - I've heard that you could pull some fuses and plug them back in to get connection to the ECU (it was also mentioned here - http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...ad.php/583577/ ) but I'm not sure which fuses to pull - If I can get connection to the ECU module then I will most likely be able to pull the original SKC.

But Secondly, how do I pull the SKC from the new module? I can access the Kessy module through VCDS, but it asks for the code. I have the VIN for the car which it was pulled from, yet I doubt that the dealer will help me through this, especially since in the US Phaetons are almost unheard of.

i'm guessing I will have to desolder the 93c86 EEPROM chip and use a programmer to get a dump from it? Or can I pull the chip from the original kessy unit and put it in the new Kessy unit? If not, what programmer would you recommend, and what would I use to pull the SKC from the dump?

Thank you SOOOO much for the help, I hate for this to be my first "real" post on the site, after using this site so much in the past as a guest, I should have made an account earlier and helped others out, but I never really got to it.

Thank you

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,457 Posts

Xprog or upa, from China will do fine.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts

Or you car read original Kessy eeprom dump and write to replacement if you have exactly same part number and VDO kessy.
    Of course read both Kessy and save file to have back up before you write old to new.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to yugo45 For This Useful Post:

Bobko (31st March, 2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yugo45, if I'm basically cloning the original 93c86 and putting that into the new module, can't I just solder the old microchip into the new module and skip programming altogether?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bobko View Post
    Yugo45, if I'm basically cloning the original 93c86 and putting that into the new module, can't I just solder the old microchip into the new module and skip programming altogether?
    You can, but for your safety make backup of your old eeprom if something goes wrong

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klesk1986 For This Useful Post:

Bobko (31st March, 2017), yugo45 (31st March, 2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klesk1986 View Post
    You can, but for your safety make backup of your old eeprom if something goes wrong

Ok, thank you.

And what about jumping fuses to gain access to modules of the car? What fuses would need to be jumped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Replaced the eeprom chip in the new module with the old one, after adaptation car started

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobko For This Useful Post:

yugo45 (31st March, 2017)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts

Replaced the eeprom chip in the new module with the old one, after adaptation car started
    What do you mean After Adaption?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Adaptation of the module to the car using VCDS and learning keys

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobko For This Useful Post:

yugo45 (31st March, 2017)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts

Adaptation of the module to the car using VCDS and learning keys
    That is strange , it should be plug and play. But maybe because of the water damage .
    Anyway , thanks for feed back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Possibly didn't have to adapt it, but the remote key definitely didn't work at first - until I added it to the module. Ignition turned on right away without messing with anything

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobko For This Useful Post:

amigokola (31st March, 2017)