v8s no wi-fi
Register

Thread: v8s no wi-fi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Unhappy v8s no wi-fi

just need some help here, wont to set up my second box to wi-fi but when I go into menu and choose wi-fi option it just says no adaptor can be found even though there is a wi-fi adaptor plugged into the usb.

any help would be great cheers.................c

A LITTLE THANX GOES A LONG WAY

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

aha think in setting it up you forgot the drivers to download first and maybe reboot box and it will be seen and check your lan settings to change it.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    467 Posts

Does the wifi adaptor have a Ralink RT5370 chipset?

Openboxes/Skyboxes have built-in drivers for this chipset only.

I used one like this, but there are adaptors available with aerials for more range:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ralink-RT5...QAAOSwAPVZFyp3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hadron For This Useful Post:

det62 (17th August, 2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

thanx guys all sorted now, bought an open box wi-fi adapter off the bay worked a treat, apparently open boxes need a specific wi-fi adapter or it wont work..

A LITTLE THANX GOES A LONG WAY

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    467 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chris31560 View Post
    thanx guys all sorted now, bought an open box wi-fi adapter off the bay worked a treat, apparently open boxes need a specific wi-fi adapter or it wont work..
    Yep. The openbox/skybox image is closed source, so you can only use adaptors with a chipset that has drivers written into the image.

The drivers they chose were for the Ralink RT5370 chipset. Adaptors using any other chipsets won't work.

The one I linked to above worked remarkably well in my openbox & the range was pretty good considering that it didn't have a large aerial attached to it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hadron For This Useful Post:

chris31560 (20th August, 2017), Willbear (20th December, 2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hadron View Post
    Yep. The openbox/skybox image is closed source, so you can only use adaptors with a chipset that has drivers written into the image.

The drivers they chose were for the Ralink RT5370 chipset. Adaptors using any other chipsets won't work.

The one I linked to above worked remarkably well in my openbox & the range was pretty good considering that it didn't have a large aerial attached to it.
    Hadron; Just joined to-day hoping to find an answer to a similar problem, albeit I am trying to connect my V9S Openbox by Wifi dongle with no luck. The box has been working
    fine for 4 months thro' ethernet cable to a Sky mini box with no real problems. as I still use my SKY+HD Box for other recordings so it is annoying having to remove the
    Ethernet connx from box to box which means a re-run on SKY + BOx for catch-up etc. Their is no info on how to connect wifi to run IPTV in their booklet as I think they based it
    on satellite connection through a dish etc.. My current set up is gift for XTREME IPTV, any information you could offer would be most grateful as I have been going through
    YouTube for several days with only wifi connx being for the V8 model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hadron View Post

Hadron; Just joined to-day hoping to find an answer to a similar problem, albeit I am trying to connect my V9S Openbox by Wifi dongle with no luck. The box has been working
    fine for 4 months thro' ethernet cable to a Sky mini box with no real problems. as I still use my SKY+HD Box for other recordings so it is annoying having to remove the
    Ethernet connx from box to box which means a re-run on SKY + BOx for catch-up etc. Their is no info on how to connect wifi to run IPTV in their booklet as I think they based it
    on satellite connection through a dish etc.. My current set up is gift for XTREME IPTV, any information you could offer would be most grateful as I have been going through

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    467 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willbear View Post
    You shouldn't need a seperate dongle for the V9S, as it has built-in wifi. You should be able to activate it through one of the menu options.

If you want a hard wired connection, & your setup is similar to mine, where I have 4 pieces of equipment that need a network connection in one room and my router in the next room, then I use a network switch to connect all of them to the router through 1 network cable.

I use this switch, although you can also get an 8 port switch for the same price:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenda-5-P...wAAOSwaeRZJYV9

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hadron For This Useful Post:

Willbear (21st December, 2017)