Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default DM600PVR MultiBoot using BarryAllen (HowTo)

Multibooting basically involves having an image in Flash Memory capable of running the plugin BarryAllen. You will then in the case of the DM600PVR be able to install & run other images from your HDD, then select which image you want to boot at startup.(other boxes can also use USB or CF)

Multibooting can be useful to get testing or evaluation time of new images, while still having the box fit for purpose, (The other half being able to watch corrie or to keep the kids quiet) in the shortest possible time.

I have recently started from scratch with my 600, I bricked it trying to update my version of BarryAllen! I then tried to help someone install BarryAllen an encountered a number of issues. It made me have another good scour on google but found it hard to find a good collection of info in one place about BarryAllen on the 600.

I would therefore like to start a thread to document some of the important information that may make the difference between a useful plugin and a total waste of time! I hope people will share their experiences and state Image in Flash and Version of BarryAllen installed.

First there are 2 variants of BarryAllen, powerpc (DM600) and mipsel (DM7025,DM800,DM8000), you must use the correct powerpc version for your DM600.

I currently have enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_4.8.22_powerpc.ipk installed which is the latest powerpc version I can find. This version checks for a secondstage bootloader version later than !(upgrade Flashimage or Loader to 67 first)! This will stop BarryAllen from installing if not met. It maybe possible to install an earlier version that doesn't check the second stage bootloader but I'm unsure of what the implications are to stability.

Image in Flash Memory

!!!This seems to be very important!!!

I currentky have the latest Official DM image (untouched) in Flash. I previously had a Pli image in flash with an earlier version of BarryAllen which worked fine to, but I have experienced problems with the latest Pli Jade3 image. In the first tut I saw of BarryAllen it stated install Gemnini to Flash but this has implications for clones which need to be taken into consideration if you have one.

Installation:

ftp the plugin to /tmp

Install by entering the following commands in a Telnet session:

cd /

ipkg install /tmp/plugin-name.ipk

If you encounter errors document them if you expect someone to help you solve them! Then run the uninstall command for good measure.

UnInstall by entering the following commands in a Telnet session:

ipkg remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen

-!!!Only run Uninstall when booted from Flash!!!-

If installation all goes well restart your 600 and the BarryAllen plugin should be available.

ftp you new-image-name.nfi file to /MB_Images

Open BarryAllen plugin and use Wizard for images at /MB_images

extract *.nfi images

Your new-image-name.nfi should be listed just click ok and let BarryAllen do it's stuff.

When BarryAllen has finished restart your 600 and you should be able to choose it to boot @ startup.

In the Images installed by Barry Allen you don't have to install the Barry Allen Plugin anymore. The Barry Allen Plugin integrates into them automatically during the image extract.

I currently have Cli, DW, Pli and DFII_v11.1(Enigma2) yes (Enigma2) images running fine from my HDD

As Ever I would welcome all and any comments and hope this is useful to somebody, It worked for me!

enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_4.8.22_powerpc.rar
    Last edited by Hejira; 25th October, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hejira For This Useful Post:

johnnie boy! (14th April, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have an original dm600C and tried to install this on my box but had an error

'now checking if image in Flash uses latest secondstage loader ...
    secondstage loader wrong, upgrade Flashimage or Loader to 67 first !!!
    preinst script returned status 1
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    Aborting installation of enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen'

I thought the 'second stage ' boot loader were only relevant to dm800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Curious123 View Post
    I have an original dm600C and tried to install this on my box but had an error

'now checking if image in Flash uses latest secondstage loader ...
    secondstage loader wrong, upgrade Flashimage or Loader to 67 first !!!
    preinst script returned status 1
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    Aborting installation of enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen'

I thought the 'second stage ' boot loader were only relevant to dm800.
    Sorry I don't know enough to give a definitive answer, but it is not to do with a clone check?

This is one reason I wanted to collect some info.

If I remember correctly you are a Pli user Curious and as Stated Jade3 seems to have an issue as a Flash image.

Edit: I've just used BA to check driver info on my installed images, Jade3 Date=20090430, The Official DM Image I currently have in Flash Date=20090707.

I think it is now important to find the latest version of BarryAllen for powerpc that does not check for secondstage bootloader as I would assume many images currently being used would have drivers earlier than my DM image!
    Last edited by Hejira; 25th October, 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

will this work on 800hd clone?
    Wavefield Ds 55cm at 13E 19E and 28E receiving everything out there on 2 dm800hd

previous life dm800hd and 500c on cable screw you nag3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's mipsel not powerpc for 800 and I believe you need a patched version for a clone. Your image in flash also has to have usb drivers compiled within it I think!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hejira View Post
    Sorry I don't know enough to give a definitive answer, but it is not to do with a clone check?

This is one reason I wanted to collect some info.

If I remember correctly you are a Pli user Curious and as Stated Jade3 seems to have an issue as a Flash image.

Edit: I've just used BA to check driver info on my installed images, Jade3 Date=20090430, The Official DM Image I currently have in Flash Date=20090707.

I think it is now important to find the latest version of BarryAllen for powerpc that does not check for secondstage bootloader as I would assume many images currently being used would have drivers earlier than my DM image!
    I have found that version BA 4.6.2 does not check for second stage loader and works fine with multiboot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Curious123 View Post
    I have found that version BA 4.6.2 does not check for second stage loader and works fine with multiboot.
    I'm pretty sure that was the version I was using before updating.

This is the latest version I have seen that reports no check:
    enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_4.6.55_powerpc.rar
    I have not tested so can't comment on it.

I do have a new version that I assume does check but I've not tested that either yet because things are working and I'm playing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... you do not have permission to access this page.

enigma2-plugin-extensions-barryallen_4.6.55_powerpc.rar
    This could be due to one of several reasons: If you are trying to download files from the download section or download attachments, you are required to post on the forums before gaining access. After posting, your account will be upgraded within 15 minutes. Please don't post asking why you can't download, if you have posted, permission will be automatically granted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, a few quick questions:

(1.)
    How does the one read a release version of the enigma from the dm600pvr box?

Example:
    In order to have compliant dev-env with what is in the dm600, I need to do something as:

cvs -z3 -dserver:anonymous@dreamboxupdate.com:/cvs co -r enigma2_rel22 enigma2

Is there a special (different) release for dm600pvr? Or it will be generic? Also, how to determine the correct "enigma2_rel22" part from the above CVS command?

(2.)
    I have downloaded 9 RAR files from the Rapid-share Yesterday. These provide a dm500/dm600-ish build environment, but this dates from 2007.
    The box runs some newer libc and other-lib code, so I assume it runs "engima2" and these RARs are most-probably "enigma1".
    Now, knowing how to read the enigma2 release from the box (the question #1), is it possible to update the vmware-guest image so that it has the "matching" enigma2 environment to what is in the box I have?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@lale, these arn't really BA Multiboot questions, you would be better posting in Dreambox Development!

But,
    1. Menu, Information, About
    2. Building for 600 is quite different to 500 and also has been updated since many of the build tuts, I used a VMimage of Ubuntu 9.04 and an install.sh from ihad to create my current enviroment. The 600 is native enigma1 but can run enigma2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Hejira

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's good topic.I will try.Thank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worked perfectly for me on a DM600S clone.

thanks man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cannot run ipkg...

Hi,

trying to follow the instructions but when running "ipkg install /tmp/plugin-name.ipk" it returns "sh: ipkg: not found". I cannot find anyone else running into this...

* Dreambox pvr 600
    * Gemini
    * Want to du dual boot to Pli image for improved streaming

Thanks,

J

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by willeewonka View Post
    Hi,

trying to follow the instructions but when running "ipkg install /tmp/plugin-name.ipk" it returns "sh: ipkg: not found". I cannot find anyone else running into this...

* Dreambox pvr 600
    * Gemini
    * Want to du dual boot to Pli image for improved streaming

Thanks,

J
    Solved! Found a few missing files and now it works. Let me know if you have the problem and I'll upload the files.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast