Register

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Howto find the DPF / ERG switches on EDC16CP31

Hi,

when I just dived into the ECU programming and tuning of my E320 3.0 CDI I found a lot of tips that the best way of deleting DPF and EGR was using WinOLS, but unfortunately nowhere some explanaition on where it was located. Diving into Maps and trying to locate a bit here and there on pure feeling/luck didn't seem the way to do it.
    Also, using ECUSafe and other programs didn't seem right and a lot of people have issues with them.

So, here is how I started the last couple of days of frustration in lack of information, searching, reading and I think success. Please correct me if I'm wrong or otherwise.

1. Buy a cheap V16 MPPS unit from Ebay, try to get a Windows XP installer on USB, run and obtain the ECU dump
    2. Get WinOLS and ECM Titanium software, be flabbergasted and scratch your head.
    2. Post your ECU on DK, ask for information and get no (non-commercial) reply
    3. Find DAMOS files (Damos 1 and Damos 2.rar seem quite helpful) and finally see some light in the maps in WinOLS for some ECU's.

Luckily a car with comparable ECU (C320 3.0CDI) had a complete working Damos file and a non exact Damos file of my file was available (CR4-642.a2l). When I loaded it I did see a lot of switches and maps, but non seemed right. (see attachment)

So I loaded the file in ECM Titanium and got the location of EGR Map. Found that same map in WinOLS and in the C-class correct mapping. Compared that look and feel with my own roughly mapped file and saw there was a offset. Put that offset in the Damos import and Bingo!

Non are still exactly right, but comparing the looks and location of the switches/maps of the labeled C320 file I can shift the location and find quite easy the name/meaning of switches in my E320 EDC16CP31 file.

Ok, so no we have a readable ECU dump. What does what? My german is a bit okay, but programming in German with only labels something else. Heilungsentprellzeit what?

Somewhere in my ECU digging I've found a Funktionrahmen Dokumentation of the EDC16 ()
    which is a developers documentation of the ECU, explaining all maps and switches. Here you can find how the EGR Abgasruckfuhrregelung (AirClt) works and what most of the switches mean. I don't have all of them and some have another name, but that's probaly because I have a later version of the ECU and a different manufacturer.

I can't seem to find a general switch for EGR off and a lot of gossip about hysteris maps in VAG (can't find one either in MB) but do have the impression that if I make AirCtl_tEngWrmLo_C from 105 to say 80, the AirCtl_Monitor thinks the engine is to hot and switches of the EGR system. Also, the EGR system helps until 80 degrees C the engine getting warm. Again, this is my first tune so if this is not the case, please say so. If there is a better and more elegant way (maybe switch of the Adaptive Governar by AirCtl_swtGvnVal_C and then just change the Mapping), let me know.

So, now for the DPF. No information about that in the 1999 EDC16 Docs, but digging some more on other fora I've found a Mega link with 750mb of ECU docs, including a EDC16C Audi file. And hurray! there it states:
    Wenn der Wert des Schalters EGT_swtEGTActv über EGTswtEGTActv_C auf EGT_SWT_DISABLED (0x00) gesetzt wird, werden die EGT Funktionen deaktiviert.
    Wenn der Wert des Schalters EGT_swtEGTActv über EGTswtEGTActv_C auf EGT_SWT_ENABLED (0x01) gesetzt wird, werden die EGT Funktionen aktiviert.
    Die beteiligten Abgasnachbehandlungsfunktionen (EGT Funktionen) (PFlt, PFltCD, AddPmp, AddPCD, FlSys und FlSCD) werden über die Auswahl durch ein Botschaft EGT_swtEGTActv informiert.

So, changing EGT_swtActv_C to 0 stops all the DPF related functions. Mine is at 1A52A0

Again, just my fifty cents and thoughts and trying to help other people struggling with the basics of reading a EDC16 file.

Another question? What is the point of all the pass encrypted 'help' files? If you want to help people, just leave the pass off the rar so others can also take a look at the file. First I really just wanted to compare files but most of the MODs on this forum are password protected. Don't be ashamed of your findings. Criticism makes you better at it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bonnem; 13th December, 2017 at 10:31 AM.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Bonnem For This Useful Post:

AGK (2nd November, 2023), al70 (29th September, 2022), barteczekk (22nd August, 2023), BUSUIOKPETRU (14th February, 2019), chrisdev (29th September, 2022), cinci (3rd October, 2022), G2T (26th March, 2018), gerasimov (14th October, 2023), hs82 (1st March, 2021), javier1223 (23rd May, 2018), JTY (28th May, 2018), jurlak1 (24th December, 2022), jwmol (30th December, 2018), koira (13th December, 2017), kokistyr11 (21st October, 2023), MorseHan (7th January, 2021), raving (26th February, 2018), rogerro (28th August, 2022), ShineHunter (23rd August, 2021), Skeptikk0 (20th December, 2018), speedy100 (27th October, 2021)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hi,

first big thanks for your description. Do you maybe have hex file for that a2l ?

best regards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you very much!