Register
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

Default VMWare 14 (12) Win7 x64 Host USB issues

Been having fun with a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and originally the only thing installed was VMWare 14.

Two drives:

C: for OS and D: for VMs.

Everything seemed to go fine with all my VMs working - W7x86 and XPsp3 installs with Diagbox, IDS, JLR, Renault Clip etc. Then, seemingly out of the blue the Diagbox couldn't see the interface. Didn't seem to be any reason for it. Host W7x64 didn't seem to want to pass the USB device (Lexia interface). Loads of posts on the net but nothing concrete. As the Diagbox VM was an XP guest import from VMWare 12 I guessed a fresh Diagbox install on a W7x86 guest on the new VMWare 14 might be in order but we all know how long that takes.

Then I remembered a post I had read by a bloke who had USB issues with his official Sentinel dongle. About 2 weeks or so after my initial install of the OS and VMWare I installed EGG345 on my host and obviously that messes about with USB emulating the official dongle. Luckily I had ghosted the initial install so I restored C:
    So far Diagbox interface is back being recognised by the guest. I'm wondering if a lot of VMWare USB issues for us lot is to do with EGGs Sentinel emulation. None of the posts on the net complaining about VMWares USB issues mention EGG but it wouldn't surprise me if quite a number of the hosts out there have a dodgy Sentinel emulator running.

What do you boys think.

The plot thickens a little. Just been through all my VMs again making sure the interfaces are passed from host to guest and all was fine until my clone VCM2 was plugged in. That was fine but when that VM was shut down and Diagbox started again and the interface plugged in the host started trying to install drivers for it. Obviously VMWares capture drivers failed to start with or were slow to react. Maybe host OS issue after the VCM2 had been plugged in. Anyway, clicking VM/Removable Devices and connecting the Lexia that way let it connect ok. Tried this with EGG installed and it definitely wouldn't get passed to the guest. Wonder if Windows was secretly coded in Germany cos it's as bad as the over priced German tat I get stuck with fixing week in week out.
    Last edited by Dunker; 30th December, 2017 at 10:07 PM.
    V Series TMS470 / EEPROM data - encryption / decryption, totally pwned.

IEC 62056-21 - new discussion: sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=60412.0