Register
    Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Which Oscilliscope ??? Coices choices...

Hi Guys,
    I am thinking of Getting a scope to start trying to learn & improve my diagnostic Firepower.
    I see there are several choices available of course Pico & snap-on are known to be the Best but not knowing too much about them yet thought I would ask the experts.

1)
    How Nessasary is a scope these days

2) Are cheaper scopes such as Sealy TA4000/ Hantek / autel worth a look i.e. can they do just a good a job as Pico & snapon scopes if not what are the drawbacks.

3) What experiences have you all had with scopes good or bad..

Thought it would be a good discussion to start & maybe if scopes are really as good as I here they are is it worth starting a Forum waveform library????

Cheers JAPN......

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Rigol DS1054Z. Those are cheap and good But thei are bench scopes I have old DS1052E hacked to DS1102E (100MHz) i use it for cars too )

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

Pico best. Cheap but good for money Autoditex. And I have some of their far cheaper accessories that I use with my Pico. There's alsorts on the market now including some small LCD bench scopes that can be used for auto. I prefer the Pico but they are too expensive. Autoditex do a 4 channel wireless scope as well. Also, the tw@ts at Pico won't let u use their auto software with their better spec scopes anymore. Tossers.
    Last edited by Dunker; 16th January, 2018 at 06:53 PM.
    V Series TMS470 / EEPROM data - encryption / decryption, totally pwned.

IEC 62056-21 - new discussion: sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=60412.0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunker For This Useful Post:

japn (18th January, 2018)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts

Default Which Oscilliscope ??? Coices choices...

If you need to repair cars and If you know how to use it then Hantek USB or similar in that price range is enough .
    If you prefer to repair electronics then non of USB osc. is not good enough.

Here you can see oscilogram of CAN H-L made by Hantek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mikroel For This Useful Post:

japn (18th January, 2018)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Talking Autoditex oscilliscope

Quote Originally Posted by Dunker View Post
    Pico best. Cheap but good for money Autoditex. And I have some of their far cheaper accessories that I use with my Pico. There's alsorts on the market now including some small LCD bench scopes that can be used for auto. I prefer the Pico but they are too expensive. Autoditex do a 4 channel wireless scope as well. Also, the tw@ts at Pico won't let u use their auto software with their better spec scopes anymore. Tossers.
    Hi there thanks for your reply. I did just look at the Autoditex website, the kits look very well fitted out even including amps clamps for £399 but was interested to know from someone who has used it. The oscilliscope I saw only had 2Mhz Bandwidth and also fairly low sampling rate. What physical effect did this have. Can you still do all the tests quite well with it. I did love the fact it had isolated channels, power supply & good over voltage protection.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[QUOTE=mikroel;3190960]If you need to repair cars and If you know how to use it then Hantek USB or similar in that price range is enough .
    If you prefer to repair electronics then non of USB osc. is not good enough.

Here you can see oscilogram of CAN H-L made by Hantek

Loved this reply Mikroel, what model of Hantek are you using? As I was thinking of getting a Sealy Ta4000 as an option which is basically a Hantek 3060. But salesman not recommended it as he says not a good scope. I know the over voltage protection is quite low @ 48v but to me looked a viable option. Even the Hantek 6074be slightly higher spec at 70mhz & 1g/s sampling rate seem good. Waveform library a bonus too.

is this the 1st Hantek you have owned...

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    274 Posts

I don't have a Ditex but have used one. Resolution could be better I suppose. I have a Techtronics 200mhz 2 channel for work. Bit outdated but i gave 6 or 7 hundred for it and at just short of 3k when new it was a bargain at the time. Now adays I'd probably be going down the Hantek road or something like it for work. I do a bit of hardware reversing so I need something a bit higher spec for home. Just make sure your laptop is fast enough for USB. A true USB3 scope would be the way forward I suppose. Saying that, for £175 on Amazon the Hantek 6074BE looks well worth a gamble for the garage. I might even get one to try for that money.
    Last edited by Dunker; 18th January, 2018 at 10:23 PM.
    V Series TMS470 / EEPROM data - encryption / decryption, totally pwned.

IEC 62056-21 - new discussion: sonsivri.to/forum/index.php?topic=60412.0

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts

I use fluke 97 very good. Stand alone tool in my opinion better.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japn View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am thinking of Getting a scope to start trying to learn & improve my diagnostic Firepower.
    I see there are several choices available of course Pico & snap-on are known to be the Best but not knowing too much about them yet thought I would ask the experts.

1)
    How Nessasary is a scope these days

2) Are cheaper scopes such as Sealy TA4000/ Hantek / autel worth a look i.e. can they do just a good a job as Pico & snapon scopes if not what are the drawbacks.

3) What experiences have you all had with scopes good or bad..

Thought it would be a good discussion to start & maybe if scopes are really as good as I here they are is it worth starting a Forum waveform library????

Cheers JAPN......
    i have seen a picoscope 3423. Is a 10mhz bandwidth but even a 4425 is only 20mhz. That being said is a 2005 picoscope 3423 still good enough starter for vehicles today. Will it still work with latest Pico software and do can bus or airflow sensors Ect.