So far down the rabbit hole, TVHeadend, DVB-C and linux/windows/libreelec woes.
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So far down the rabbit hole, TVHeadend, DVB-C and linux/windows/libreelec woes.

I'm hoping somebody out there can help me, im pretty close to tearing my own hair out. I recently purchased a sandtek DVB-C/T usb stick that supports windows, linux and a host of other OS and embedded devices.
    My ultimate goal is to have a small TVheadend server and kodi clients in rooms receiving the broadcasts. All very simple... in theory.

My initial steps upon recieving the stick was to install it on my raspberry pi2 running open elec, i enabled the TVH server and set about configuring it, upon initiating a scan i received a failed tune, this theme continued for a couple of hours, i then ran a successful scan returning 255 channels, 20 + of which are usable as they are not scrambled, great you say? that's what i thought. I set about mapping the scans but on completion all scrambled channels did not map ( hardly surprising, and not realy an issue) and some FTA didn't map either, this is a issue.

After another hour fiddling i decided to delete the results and re-scan. i entered the figures as i thought i entered them first time around but got no results. i spent another hour or two on this with no luck what so ever. Starting to get miffed i went to my DM800se, installed all the relevant software and ran a scan with the stick, 60 channels found, most of which are scrambled and only about half of the FTA i should see listed.

Frustrated i installed the stick on my windows machine, the best option for scanning i could find was mediapportal 2, using the brute force option it found all the channels and mapped every single one success! Ok so now i have all the frequencies and sym rates for the channels MP2 has found, should be a piece of cake on any other system right? Well no, it isn't, using the frequencies and sym rate, even the NET ID from the MP" scans TVHeadend still returns no results, this is on a RPI2 with 2 different installs and builds of libreelec and a freshly installed copy of ubuntu 14.x on my laptop.
    I ran a W_scan from the fresh linux install verifying that it see's the stick correctly, has the correct sym rate input and scans a range of 43khz to 100.1khz, it returns a blank scan saying it can find nothing on the network, I let the program use the predefined settings and it returns the same again, nothing detected.

Just to make sure i reinserted the stick into my windows machine and redid the MP" scan, it scanned every single channel! Oh and MP2 reports excellent signal on all it's scans, all FTA channels are viewable also.

Im at my wits end, can anyone shed any light on this or give me a direction to move in to, MP" just isnt the software to be running a Tv server, it's clunky, runs on windows and is a PITA.

Im in the UK, newcastle upon tyne trying to access the virgin network.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

not done myself yet but i have read for cable scan on tvheadend you have to add an extra 3 0's to frequency for it to scan for some reason. i have bought a dvbsky t9580 got sat working but cable side having driver issues for which i did not find a solution yet. not looked in a while though

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

i have the dvbc version of dvb sky usb and had to run driver update first before using it on linux boxes,if you have your netid from providers box you can add details for it to scan better.qams 64 and 256 enabled.old image versions may not have driver updates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kanifee View Post
    I'm hoping somebody out there can help me, im pretty close to tearing my own hair out. I recently purchased a sandtek DVB-C/T usb stick that supports windows, linux and a host of other OS and embedded devices.
    My ultimate goal is to have a small TVheadend server and kodi clients in rooms receiving the broadcasts. All very simple... in theory.

My initial steps upon recieving the stick was to install it on my raspberry pi2 running open elec, i enabled the TVH server and set about configuring it, upon initiating a scan i received a failed tune, this theme continued for a couple of hours, i then ran a successful scan returning 255 channels, 20 + of which are usable as they are not scrambled, great you say? that's what i thought. I set about mapping the scans but on completion all scrambled channels did not map ( hardly surprising, and not realy an issue) and some FTA didn't map either, this is a issue.

After another hour fiddling i decided to delete the results and re-scan. i entered the figures as i thought i entered them first time around but got no results. i spent another hour or two on this with no luck what so ever. Starting to get miffed i went to my DM800se, installed all the relevant software and ran a scan with the stick, 60 channels found, most of which are scrambled and only about half of the FTA i should see listed.

Frustrated i installed the stick on my windows machine, the best option for scanning i could find was mediapportal 2, using the brute force option it found all the channels and mapped every single one success! Ok so now i have all the frequencies and sym rates for the channels MP2 has found, should be a piece of cake on any other system right? Well no, it isn't, using the frequencies and sym rate, even the NET ID from the MP" scans TVHeadend still returns no results, this is on a RPI2 with 2 different installs and builds of libreelec and a freshly installed copy of ubuntu 14.x on my laptop.
    I ran a W_scan from the fresh linux install verifying that it see's the stick correctly, has the correct sym rate input and scans a range of 43khz to 100.1khz, it returns a blank scan saying it can find nothing on the network, I let the program use the predefined settings and it returns the same again, nothing detected.

Just to make sure i reinserted the stick into my windows machine and redid the MP" scan, it scanned every single channel! Oh and MP2 reports excellent signal on all it's scans, all FTA channels are viewable also.

Im at my wits end, can anyone shed any light on this or give me a direction to move in to, MP" just isnt the software to be running a Tv server, it's clunky, runs on windows and is a PITA.

Im in the UK, newcastle upon tyne trying to access the virgin network.
    i have enabled a tvcard on linux ..... i seem to recall ..i had to setup the kernel to accept the chip that tvcard uses ...search regular linux forums for how to install tvcard with openpvr... sorry for vagueness it was 10 years ago . I tell you where to get the answer !!! raspberry pi official forums with the developers