Diagnosing a tripping RCD to septic tank
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Diagnosing a tripping RCD to septic tank

Hi all,

Quick question for the sparkies I have a bio tank pump that had been working fine up until today, it tripped the main rcd out. If i isolate the bio tank as it has its own radial I can reset the RCD. I disconnected the pump and still the same I disconnected the industrial connector and had the bare wires separated and it still trips when the MCB flipped so it must be the wiring it travels the length of my house down the wall and about 10 metres underground, it's normal plastic cable that doesn't appear to be in armoured conduit but anyway are their any easy ways to to test this? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to cut the wire at various points (before it goes underground) and see if that helps and then rerun the the remaining wire. Interesting when it first tripped I had the socket apart at the pump noticed the earth wasn't connected (deliberate?) Connected it up put back together and it was ok for a few hours. Now it trips even without the pump or connectors attached, I was trying to rule out water ingress so freed wire at pump end.

I have continuity between neutral and earth I guess that's expected and not a n/e fault as I can reset the RCD if the MCB is isolated. I guess I need an I/r tester to do any real testing? No measurable continuity between l/e...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts

There shouldn't be continuity between earth and neutral. This will cause tripping