Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Default Help CAS2 - new key problem

Hello, i've got a little problem with a CAS2, whether possibly a key problem or corrupt eeprom, and was hoping someone here could help me to fix it.
    I'll tell the whole story from the beginning to help you understand.

A customer given me a CAS2 module to add a new remote key, as they only have the plastic valet type transponder key which is put in an adapter to slot in the dash.

I've hooked up the CAS module to VVDI2 using the CAS plug adapter, and it connects fine. I like to make backups where possible before doing any work. So I read the eeprom data several times in VVDI2 and compared the files - there were differences each time, so i reverted to using VVDI-prog to read the eeprom data and flash too while i was hooked up. Comparing several reads, the file were showing the same... all good.

Now that i had the backups, i proceeded to add a key using VVDI2 'cas key learn'.
    The customer has put the CAS module back into the car, both the original key and new key start the engine fine, however the new key remote doesn't work the locks (i've had the customer check the key battery is fitted correctly). I've not got access to the car right now, but using the original eeprom backup i took before starting work i've loaded it into the VVDI2 'file make key' function and it throws up an error "CAS eeprom maybe damage. The made dealer key may can't start engine". The VIN, mileage, key frequency and key code etc all show fine on the display, however there must be something in the file corrupted (i've attached a screenshot of the error). Can anyone check the attached dumps to identify what may be corrupted, and can help repair the file?

Is it likely the corrupt eeprom is the culprit for the remote fault, or is it more likely a key problem (Bought from a big UK supplier). Are there any other things you recommend to check? I'm trying to make some plan of attack just now before organising to tackle the car again.

Thanks in advance for your support

P.S. I've posted this here instead of the VVDI2 support thread as i don't think this something exclusive to VVDI2. To me it seems either a key problem or the eeprom is corrupted as indicated from my original backup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts

hmm what key slot on dashboard are we taking about? what is model is that cas from, and what key did you program, cas3 868mhz key won't work? Cas2 uses "old" shaped bmw keys (like e46) with classic ignition barrel.... pcf7942 id46....

ddd2.jpg
    automotive repair software
    Last edited by dtip; 26th April, 2023 at 06:36 PM.

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtip View Post
    hmm what key slot on dashboard are we taking about? what is model is that cas from, and what key did you program, cas3 868mhz key won't work? Cas2 uses "old" shaped bmw keys (like e46) with classic ignition barrel.... pcf7942 id46....

ddd2.jpg
    The customers vehicle uses the rectangular CAS key that slots in the dash, i've attached a photo of the key they were using (not sure how long they owned the car and have been using like this - but wanted to get a remote key done) - they used the plastic key blade to lock/unlock the doors and put the ket into the adapter to slot in the dash for starting the car. The vehicle is a 2006 5-series (M5).As i understand, there is no ignition barrel and then cannot use the diamond style key.

The key application list is also attached, which would likewise indicate it's the correct key for the vehicle.
    Both keys start the vehicle, just the new remote doesn't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts

Now someone with more bmw experience will maybe correct me so don't take this for granted...but that is CAS 3 key. You had Cas2 in your hands and you need cas 2 key - diamond shaped like you said. Now as they are both id46 i guess cas3 will also start car when programed. What confuses me is how the hell then he have a slot in that car to put that key in... maybe they key slot/reader was retrofited somehow and that would be reason why first key remote don't work - just like new u made... as i said someone with more experience will probable tell you what is happening but i am pretty sure that is not key for CAS2...

Yes your list have E60 listed but that is becouse E60 can have cas3 and can use that key (in case of cas3) but that is not case with your car since they sent you Cas 2 so must use diamond shape cas2 key.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    279 Posts

Hi
    your new key need to work at 868MHz
    and your cas dump that you post "eeprom ory" has allrady 4 key programed... This last key Nr. 3 has bad key traks!
    I´m missing your actual cas dump with new key...

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dijo View Post
    Hi
    your new key need to work at 868MHz
    and your cas dump that you post "eeprom ory" has allrady 4 key programed... This last key Nr. 3 has bad key traks!
    I´m missing your actual cas dump with new key...
    What do you mean key #3 has bad key traks, you mean key 3 is corrupted?
    After adding key directly to CAS module in VVDI2, i didn't open again to take another backup unfortunately.

Do you think there is any other data corruption in the file?
    If the original file can be repaired, then i can try write the eeprom and prog the key again.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    279 Posts

Key 3 is bad yes, I repaired your eeprom on Key3, program new one...
    Attention key numbers start from 0!
    I think VVDI dont work for this cas dump (but I dont know for shure, dont have VVDI)
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dijo For This Useful Post:

WRX 14 (13th March, 2018)

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Key 3 is bad yes, I repaired your eeprom on Key3, program new one...
    Attention key numbers start from 0!
    I think VVDI dont work for this cas dump (but I dont know for shure, dont have VVDI)
    Thanks, i've loaded your file into VVDI2 and it still gives the error message about a corrupt eeprom.

In what way you think this dump is not supported in VVDI2 The tool connects ok, and seems to read data, only when rather than add key direct if i open the dump in the 'file make key' o get the message about corrupt eeprom. For the models not supported normally when try connect you get an error 'security access fail'

I believe i programmed the new key ID #5 in my first photo.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    279 Posts

I dont know if and how VVDI works, but in your firts image key Nr. 4, this key is in eeprom ori file corrupt...
    better take other tool...

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,575 Posts

ddd2.jpg
    Now someone with more bmw experience will maybe correct me so don't take this for granted...but that is CAS 3 key. You had Cas2 in your hands and you need cas 2 key - diamond shaped like you said. Now as they are both id46 i guess cas3 will also start car when programed. What confuses me is how the hell then he have a slot in that car to put that key in... maybe they key slot/reader was retrofited somehow and that would be reason why first key remote don't work - just like new u made... as i said someone with more experience will probable tell you what is happening but i am pretty sure that is not key for CAS2...

Yes your list have E60 listed but that is becouse E60 can have cas3 and can use that key (in case of cas3) but that is not case with your car since they sent you Cas 2 so must use diamond shape cas2 key.
    What the hell are you talking about man!? Don't speak if you don't have basic ordinary knowledge. CAS2 it is normal to use smart key. E90 up to 2006/2007 is CAS2, same as 1 series E87, and they both use smart key. Only old E60 up to 2006 year use old diamond shape key with CAS2 system. All BMW smart keys 1 gen. working with CAS 2-3+ systems, there is no difference beside freqquency...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p1et For This Useful Post:

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

I dont know if and how VVDI works, but in your firts image key Nr. 4, this key is in eeprom ori file corrupt...
    better take other tool...
    Ok thanks... i know what your getting at, but the fact key #4 is corrupt is not to say anything about the tool really.
    Even if i was to take another tool is not to say it will work if eeprom corrupted - this is what i'm wanting to determine first off.
    The backup dump was made only by eeprom programmer soldered direct on PCB, and not by OBD with VVDI2, and Key #4 has never been touched by me either. I used VVDI2 to make new key in ID #5.

Original backup dump taken by one tool and load into another and it shows file is corrupt.
    You have now repaired corruption in key #4 and still i get error file is corrupt, like something else wrong in dump.

For the moment, putting aside the possibility that VVDI2 is no good for this car, or whether it is a false error given etc.
    For now i'm simply hoping someone with better experience, knowledge & tools than myself, can verify whether the full dump looks good, and if possible for them to repair the file.
    From that point if i know i have a good dump, then i could use the eeprom programmer soldered to PCB to write the dump, and try program a key again.
    By all means, the whole issue with the remote not working could be a fault in the remote itself, i can test if it is transmitting but car is little far away right now, and want to be prepared with a good plan before arranging something.

I don't know enough about the data structure in the dump to understand how any new key data for transponder & remote is stored etc.
    Does it put separate data in the dump for the transponder and remote functions, or are both coded into the same place to work together etc etc... I don't really know.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    279 Posts

Ok, I got it... your first post with "eeprom cas ori" is your first read and untouched about new key...
    In this dump only key nr 4 is bad!!!
    That file that I send you is good!
    At this point I dont know which old key is working for start and remote function...
    If your problem is only your new key where remote is not working...
    Than...
    Is it a 868MHz remote?
    Post your dump with Key Nr5 programmed by you and also Hitag image of this Key...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dijo For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Is it estate car? If yes, than they very often had problem with receiver module.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EMCE159 For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

I think that car have a central lock majeur problem not a key problem i faced this problem and finaly the car had a problem with reciever module in the top middle of the front glasse

19. The Following User Says Thank You to issam216 For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    525 Posts

This is from the first dump you post.
    In VVDI2 it starts from 1-4 -- Key number 4 here says PCF7953 and error message pop up.
    In Tang it start from 0-3 -- Key number 3 here says PCF7945 and here it opens without error message. Says E60 old type, 868Mhz
    The other keys are the same in both tools.
    Number 4 in VVDI2 is number 3 in Tang.

Maybe you could try to read it with a different tool. Or use the transponder programmer function in VVDI2. Out of BMW, and start program.
    Test with KD if you have. Tested with a CN key. Got frequency 868Mhz FSK need to test several times to get result.
    It started as low as 315 then 434 and then up to 868 on China key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast