111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyrz View Post
    Xc-mini
    Instacode on your phone
    Autopropad
    Small duplicator xc-009
    Set of Auto smart books

That pretty much covers you and gives you plenty of room to grow
    Also I don't know what that moron was doing that he set off the airbag,...........

never even heard of this
    Thank you on another note whats majority of bizz? Lockouts, Duplicates Or All Keys Lost?
    Had a issue Had a issue with my uploads so if you see one of my posts and need that dump let me know and I'll post it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'm in my 25th year as a trade qualified Locksmith, 4 year apprenticeship etc in Australia.

The advice I can offer you is.

1: Make sure you have enough money to buy the key machines before you even think of starting. The cheapest way is a HPC blitz & Sec-09 & Instacode.
    2: You will need the skills to do surface mount (SMD work)
    3: A good inverter to run mains power in your case 110V
    4: A good amount of room in your van
    5: A good buddy that you can call on to get an answer when you get stuck on a job. This is the most important thing.

Be prepared to walk away from a job.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locksmiths For This Useful Post:

ascrap2003 (13th September, 2018), Automat (22nd September, 2018), lock-key (6th December, 2018)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Locksmiths View Post
    I'm in my 25th year as a trade qualified Locksmith, 4 year apprenticeship etc in Australia.

The advice I can offer you is.

1: Make sure you have enough money to buy the key machines before you even think of starting. The cheapest way is a HPC blitz & Sec-09 & Instacode.

2: You will need the skills to do surface mount (SMD work)( not much in america really 99% obd.......)

3: A good inverter to run mains power in your case 110V yes get a PURE SINE WAVE inverter if running a van(equipment runs better smother and lasts longer)

4: A good amount of room in your van yes yes and yes

5: A good buddy that you can call on to get an answer when you get stuck on a job. This is the most important thing. holy hell i have made some calls that have saved my ass so yes

Be prepared to walk away from a job. adding to this know when to not take a job in the first place

but yes i agree with that guy mostly

you got any key cutting equipment yet?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ascrap2003 View Post
    Thank you on another note whats majority of bizz? Lockouts, Duplicates Or All Keys Lost?

locksmith

all of it everyday

never the same day twice

24/7 365.25

could be doing high end doors needing lock holes mortised into them for multipoint locks or rekeying a doorknob

might be doing a car lockout

possibly drilling a safe or opening someones luggage that they lost the key

maybe somebody lost their keys for their 1958 austin healey or their 2018 altima or their scooter

could be doing an eviction with the police or wearing a vest with the squatter squad

maybe you got a little cabinet and i need to sit there and hand file a key from scratch for it

need a copy of your house key maybe?

locksmith that and a lot more
    Last edited by sleepyrz; 13th September, 2018 at 05:46 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I got a cheap 339C duplicator to start with till I get the funds to get the Condor Mini.

I also ordered a bunch of Lishi 2 in 1 tools and gonna order access tools and some transponder key blanks.

Gotta start somewhere gonna go with mainstream automotive lockouts and duplicating till I get some more funds and experience. Thinking of staying on the automotive side for time being also

I have a Maxisys currently so I should be able to program most key copies. Ford, GM, Toyo, Honda etc. Maybe some Vag but gonna stay away from Benz BMW etc till i get some experience, I also have VVDI prog and Carprog.

As for SMD soldering, eeprom reading etc i am good on that end, since doing dashes for over 3 years now and I repair GM/Ford clusters on a daily basis and reflow motorola MCU all the time.

As mentioned I tried offering some locksmiths in the town over money for ride alongs but no one cared so as usual I have to learn alone, with the help and guidance of you gentlemen of course. As for a freind to call I'm outta luck on that one, don't know any locksmiths.
    Had a issue Had a issue with my uploads so if you see one of my posts and need that dump let me know and I'll post it!

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyrz View Post
    locksmith

all of it everyday

never the same day twice

24/7 365.25

could be doing high end doors needing lock holes mortised into them for multipoint locks or rekeying a doorknob

might be doing a car lockout

possibly drilling a safe or opening someones luggage that they lost the key

maybe somebody lost their keys for their 1958 austin healey or their 2018 altima or their scooter

could be doing an eviction with the police or wearing a vest with the squatter squad

maybe you got a little cabinet and i need to sit there and hand file a key from scratch for it

need a copy of your house key maybe?

locksmith that and a lot more
    Are you in the US?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

So got my lishi tools in, tried on my truck, did it the first time within 2-3 minutes, tried several times after, cant pick it. I wonder if I just got lucky or damaged tool? tried lubing with WD40 and still cant pick..2002 Ford F250

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,460 Posts

FO38
    Have a good look at the tool.
    Align one side of the levers, and then have a look where the opposite side stands.
    These tools would break, before they bend.

Watch some YouTube,
    You Will need to know, when the shim is in the correct position.

And cheat, use your key, as a Guide.
    Take a marker, and put stripes on the lishi readout.
    It will help you to get a feel for it.
    Last edited by rob h; 19th September, 2018 at 10:32 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rob h For This Useful Post:

ascrap2003 (20th September, 2018)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob h View Post
    FO38
    Have a good look at the tool.
    Align one side of the levers, and then have a look where the opposite side stands.
    These tools would break, before they bend.

Watch some YouTube,
    You Will need to know, when the shim is in the correct position.

And cheat, use your key, as a Guide.
    Take a marker, and put stripes on the lishi readout.
    It will help you to get a feel for it.
    Your genius!
    All great advice, I got it to pop again but still need practice, I think I had to much rotating pressure, gotta start soft and every 3 or 4 pins picked add a little more pressure and even let off at times.
    I guess I gotta realize I'm also not gonna pick it right away, either may have to let pressure off 4 or 5 times to let some needles reset and or to relive pressure and will be needing to go back and forth. What is a typical acceptable time range to pick a auto lock by a noob 5-10 minutes give or take? On another note I'm gonna need a stool, I'm older and overweight and the pain in my knees from kneeling down takes away concentration.

On another note there is a local locksmith here that will code cut keys for me for $20 and has several locations around town so I can go thru them till I get a condor. Is there a place to get a clamp/adapter for single and double sided auto keys like my ford? My vertical cheapo machine seems like only duplicates laser and other high security keys.
    Last edited by ascrap2003; 23rd September, 2018 at 03:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12