Static on new Motherboard help
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Static on new Motherboard help

I've just bought a new Motherboard and to get to the user manual to see what ram I needed to order I pulled out the motherboard and on the reverse side of the board a solder joint pierced the anti static bag and touched my finger and i wasn't grounded. Now i think it was just the mounting for the battery. my thought is I've also ordered a new CPU to go with it, if the board was affected could it also damage my chip.? Cheers guys..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Hi Roryson
    I wouldn't worry too much about your finger touching a part of the mother board without you being grounded.
    I have touched lots of mo bo's with bare hands and no grounding with no ill effects at all.
    It's more to do with touching the actual chips and the processor or memory when you need to be grounded.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AirShowNut For This Useful Post:

roryson (9th May, 2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The chances are that no damage was caused unless you have reason to beleive you were carrying a high static charge yourself . Most damage is caused when the potential difference is great (connecting a fully charged battery to a discharged battery)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to roybach For This Useful Post:

roryson (9th May, 2018)