Too much limescale in water
Register
    V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Default Too much limescale in water

Is there any way to combat limescale in water supply at your property?

I have two bathrooms & two kitchens in my house and as only one every gets used regular, the other taps seems to clog up with limescale.
    I installed new taps & water pipe tails in second bathroom & kitchen and with in a year they have both started leaking.
    When I dismantled the taps & pipe tails, they are solid with limescale.

I don't want the big bulky water softener machine under the sinks, so what about these magnets that you install around the water pipes, do these work?

Anyone got magnets wrapped around their water pipes & do they work or is there another method to soften the water?

Thanks.
    SLOWLY, OUR FREEDOM IS BEING ERASED.
    SOON, WE WILL JUST BE A NUMBER.
    IF WE DON'T FOLLOW, WE WILL BE ERASED.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts

If you have limescale that bad then the only thing that will work is to install a water softener filter on the line. The magnet and electrical boxes are really woo woo! nice way to empty ypur pockets. If you wish to try them look at toolstation not quite so pricey!?
    1st UN-Official Meat-Head Fan Club Member (banned )

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

get yourself a good water softener.. a proper one that will soften the water for the whole house.. they are installed outside the property or the compact ones may fit under your sink.. depending where the water enters the house that is.. they are very common here in ireland as we have a lot of lime out here in the sticks where im from ... and all the water on my lane comes from private wells that are drilled when the houses are built.. you can buy them online and install them yourself but id advise against it as for after sales support you wont have any.. ie servicing etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello, I am a newbie to this site but have experience on limescale. over 15 years I have had the same system combi mate, worth a look. the only maintenance is to change the filter balls once a year (about £20 to £30 depends on where you buy them. The other method is inline filters such as electrolytic inline scale inhibitor, these usually only work to protect one appliance, so you may have to install more than one