Did you know that an Openbox V8s are limited to 120 degrees?
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Did you know that an Openbox V8s are limited to 120 degrees?

Hi guys, I have had three Openbox's and all state "Out of range", when I try to view satellites past 55 degrees east or 64 west (with limits removed).

I have figured it out; Openbox has a turning circle of 120 degrees. Although the motor / dish has a limit of 150 degrees.

So, if your global position was right on the meridian, 0 degrees east / 0 degrees west, then the Openbox would turn to view satellites only 60 degrees east or 60 degrees west. And no more. If you try it will flag up "out of range" on the screen.

Lets move our global position 20 degrees to the west. Now Openbox can turn the dish to view satellites 40 degrees east max, and 80 degrees west max.

I'm sure that the 120 degree limit is written in to the software.
    So if anyone knows of what Windows or Linux based programs can be used to edit Openbox software, then please let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default from-uk

geostationary-arc-from-uk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well thanks for that but what are you trying to say?

My point is the openbox has an arc of 120 degrees, when most receivers will turn the dish to the limits of the motors capabilities. Ie, 75 to 80 degrees in either direction (150 to 160 degrees total).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iknowjack View Post
    Hi guys, I have had three Openbox's and all state "Out of range", when I try to view satellites past 55 degrees east or 64 west (with limits removed).

I have figured it out; Openbox has a turning circle of 120 degrees. Although the motor / dish has a limit of 150 degrees.

So, if your global position was right on the meridian, 0 degrees east / 0 degrees west, then the Openbox would turn to view satellites only 60 degrees east or 60 degrees west. And no more. If you try it will flag up "out of range" on the screen.

Lets move our global position 20 degrees to the west. Now Openbox can turn the dish to view satellites 40 degrees east max, and 80 degrees west max.

I'm sure that the 120 degree limit is written in to the software.
    So if anyone knows of what Windows or Linux based programs can be used to edit Openbox software, then please let me know.
    Thanks for this, I didn't know that and was thinking i was doing something wrong when unable to get sat after 60 degrees....