Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Need second opinion, C63 misfire

Hi,
    I've carried out some tests so far on an engine misfire, just looking for other opinions.
    So the engine has intermittent misfire on cylinder 1 and 6. Car runs fine at idle, absolutely smooth, fine when revving and fine while driving most of the time.

Coils and plugs replaced, still same fault
    Compression test carried out, cylinder pressures 11-12 bar on ALL except cylinder no.6.
    Cylinder leak test carried out, 75% leakage on cylinder no.6. Air leaking back through spark plug hole of no.7 during leak test. Leak test then carried out on cylinder 7 - 5% leakage which is good, but why not leak back through no.6?
    Wet compression test now carried out, all cylinders 11-12 bar. Leak test carried out again, cylinder no.6 now sealing perfectly.

I have 2 theories.
    1. Damaged rings/piston of no.6, possibly leaking through crankcase and back up to inlet/exhaust valves of cylinder no.7 during leakage test?

2. Faulty/intermittent faulty injector overfuelling no.6 causing bore wash and leakage of cyl no.6.

I'm really hoping to hear possibilities/experience of a faulty injector for this issue. Perhaps the leakage is so minimal at the moment that there is not such a masdive compression loss while the engine is at speed?

But with low compression and high leakage I would expect misfire all the time.

Thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,770 Posts

ON TOPIC:-

put compression tester on and run the engine.

might be inlet manifold jambed with a load of dk posts and thanks buttons

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meat-Head For This Useful Post:

rideon (20th June, 2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

But the wet static compression test indicates a possible bottom end mechanical fault, no?

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,770 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler86 View Post
    But the wet static compression test indicates a possible bottom end mechanical fault, no?
    Eh, other option then is to pour measured quanity of oil doen that whole and see if it drains overnight

then use dk thanks buttons to absorb any remaing oil lefr

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meat-Head For This Useful Post:

rideon (21st June, 2018)