BMW 1 Series F20 2011 FEM Dealer Key Programming - Page 2
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,571 Posts

Maybe this isn't any help here but personally I would just call dealer which are the keys from and ask what to do, as you bought the keys which should start the car straight away but they don't.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by p1et View Post
    Maybe this isn't any help here but personally I would just call dealer which are the keys from and ask what to do, as you bought the keys which should start the car straight away but they don't.
    Tried both local dealers and they say it should just work, although that is the parts department they won't let me speak to a technician.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Autowave View Post
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I have a BMW F20 2011 FEM Keyless lost keys. Unfortunately VVDI2 cannot read isn from this particular ECU so I ordered key from the dealer. Connected VVDI2 and can read FEM (all keys are enabled). But the problem is that because the alarm is going off (had to manually unlock the vehicle) it won't allow me to synchronize the new remote.

Anyone know how to disable this to allow new key to match (dealer key). I have VVDI2 (all auth), BMW ICOM and Launch.

Usually when I buy FEM dealer key, I would just unlock using working remote, leave working remote away from vehicle. Put new remote near steering column and hold start/stop button.

I also experiment with another F20. If you lock the vehicle with remote. Then open with key (so alarm goes off) and you press start/stop button it does not give you message on dash "key not found"

Surely something simple
    Hi, when you picked the lock is the passengers door open also, or only the drivers door?

I have a F34 with no keys to do tomorrow and not sure how to open passenger door to remove FEM.

Thanks

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Ok, so i have got some more information on this hope it can help others. According to BMW ISTA when the vehicle is opened with a mechanical key (ie picked) it will not allow a dealer key to be simply synchronised by holding next to the steering column as it thinks it is being stolen. I have 2 F20's so I can believe this is true. I went to the dealer and spoke to a few technicians and if a retail customer was in this situation they would actually replace the FEM and upon initial installation and coding it will allow the new key to sync.
    So in short new FEM is required according to BMW and in fairness I have tried everything diagnostically.

So I am going to try dmp's suggestion of adding a key using VVDI and my new dealer key for ISN, I will report my findings tomorrow.

@Hugh91 when I picked the drivers door only that opened, the others were deadlocked. But I can still remove the FEM, not too difficult tbh.

I'm surprised nobody else has come across this scenario....watch this space

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Autowave For This Useful Post:

Hugh91 (3rd July, 2018), p1et (2nd July, 2018)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

Use ISTA to unlock deadlock,and then try new key.........
    Guided fault finding = Feature that many factory scan-tools have and real technician despise it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gavra View Post
    Use ISTA to unlock deadlock,and then try new key.........
    ISTA will not communicate with FEM as it needs to see Terminal 15. I can communicate with launch but the steering lock release does not actuate (other actuations do work though)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    627 Posts

100% the dealer is bullshitting you.
    Like I said, I had a M135 with the same issue.
    I went through the same process as you, thinking something was wrong with the FEM.

Is the immo coil powering up on the column when you press the start button?
    From memory, I could communicate with the FEM though.

There is another thought, remove the FEM and try and learn the key on the bench with the immo coil and start button connected.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Use Tool32 writing argument KL15_EIN. In most cases it give you terminal 15 back. Also try VVDI or something there is little option 'emergency switch on'
    I would personally unlock FEM and try write this or another one in.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Autowave View Post
    ISTA will not communicate with FEM as it needs to see Terminal 15. I can communicate with launch but the steering lock release does not actuate (other actuations do work though)
    F series do not need ignition ON for FEM . Tested it today on F25,just because I wanted to check what I need to do in case I have same situation as you
    Guided fault finding = Feature that many factory scan-tools have and real technician despise it.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,571 Posts

And how all this case finished?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

This finished by me buying new fem to keep customer happy as he needed car and was happy to pay.
    He will drop me the car back when he is on holiday for me to do some experiment, which I will report.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Autowave For This Useful Post:

doctore (23rd October, 2018), p1et (23rd October, 2018), phuckyall (23rd October, 2018)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts

had also issues with FEM F20.... but not try to make new key... try to reset FEM Kilometer...

the method is the same...

FEM seems like dead... not seen by ista icom, e sys eent and so on... like dead...

but as @qwojtus wrote... problem is wake up / KL15...

I was not able to handle it and was at the point to buy new FEM for customer...

a guy from mhh helped me... tool32/edibas/e-sys with teamviewer...

my job was only to press buttons in car "electrical consumer", that can bus waked up...

but he handle it... It depends which keys (Keyless entry) the car have and MHZ, have to write virgin on 95128...

and after FEM is back in Life... write back ori 95128...

I worked with DP4, and it seems the problem is the software from FEM, when customer maked a software upgrade by BMW...
    and tool has not newest software...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to figani For This Useful Post:

Autowave (25th October, 2018), p1et (24th October, 2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12