Buying a GM MDI Clone
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Buying a GM MDI Clone

I need a J2534 pass-through interface to work with Opel/Vauxhall. Is MDI clone a good choice?
    Are there different better/worse versions? What to look at when ordering one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have an MDI clone I purchased recently that works fine with ACDelco TDS web app subscription. I've used it several times for SPS programming on several GM brand cars from 2004 to 2013. I found to get the highest quality MDI Clone ask a few questions:

1) Can it run the unmodified genuine Bosch MDI Manager software here https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro...-mdi-and-mdi-2
    2) Can it do USB, WiFI, and RJ45 wired ethernet (having all three eliminates most of the lower quality clone designs that can only do USB)
    3) Does it "chirp" then "beep" during its power on self test and finish with only the green power LED lit (something else that filters out low quality clones)

And buy only on big name websites (e.g., eBay) so you can be sure to get your money back if things are not as described. Might cost a little more but you get buyer protection guarantees.

GL

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drshock For This Useful Post:

incognitus4 (23rd August, 2018)