Thread: Cloning MED9.1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cloning MED9.1

Hi All

Newbie here

I own a 2007 B7 RS4. For the last few months ive been having an ongoing problem with the O2 sensor.

This has happened after a clutch change, the O2 cables weren't tied up away from the prop shaft resulting in them being damaged.

I've had to resort to fixing the damage myself, but thats for other reasons

The problem i have at present is that i suspect the ECU is damaged and would like to clone the current one and see if my problem goes away on the clone ecu.

The car runs and drives fine, but i constantly have a MIL light on the dash.

I'd like to clone the ecu myself - what would i need to do this?

The ECU is a Bosch MED9.1
    Audi part number 8E1 910 560
    Bosch part number 0 261 S02 165

Im going to purchase a second hand ECU - would I need to buy the same Bosch part number? or will any MED9.1 from a VW do just fine?

My car is remapped hence the need to clone it, im OK opening the ecu case to do this if need be.

The other reason for wanting to do this myself is that i have two other VW cars too which I would like to remap/tune too.

I've done some tuning in the past on my own Evo using ecuflash, but that was quite some time ago, so this will be learning from fresh again.

Basically i could do with pointing/guiding in the right direction too get me started to get my problem resolved, if it helps im in the UK.

Thanks for any help
    evosingh
    Last edited by evosingh; 21st July, 2018 at 02:43 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Hi, for this job you will need a tool with bdm capabilities such as ktag, fgtech etc. You can use even a clone but will need a good one. You must open the ecu for cloning. You can use a bdm frame with adapters or even you can solder the wires on the ecu and read the donor ecu and clone into your spare ecu.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tehnosoftex For This Useful Post:

evosingh (22nd July, 2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the ecu, i still need to purchase one, do I need to buy one with same number, or will any vw/audi med9.1 be ok?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

It is better to buy with same bosch number, 0 261 S02 165. The bosch number is the hardware number so if you will buy an ecu with other bosch number is possible to have hardware differences.