Wii 4.2E softmod tutorial. Easy to follow guide.
Register
Page 1 of 63 1234561151 ... LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Wii 4.2E softmod tutorial. Easy to follow guide.

(Updated 15/06 2010) OVER 167,000 VIEWS NOW !!!!

(From Ade),"I don’t generally do a new post when I’ve done a modification to some of the guides or updated uLoader, but I feel the latest additions are probably worthy posting about.

System Menu 4.2 Wii’s softmodding process has been updated to include an application called multi mod manager. This one app now does the whole job for you, apart from a few button presses the whole thing is pretty much automated. It’s now more difficult to get it wrong than it is to get it right!!

I’ve also included cios249 version 19 into the packs for all Wii softmods as well as a mod of Wadmanager, called yet another wad manager mod which enables you to batch install a number of wad files. Especially useful for those doing safe upgrades of the system menu.

uLoader has also been updated to version 4.9c. Another reason for doing a new post about this is because a bug in how 4.9A handled the uloader config file was causing a number of hard drives that worked before to fail. This most notably affected the buffalo drives. This problem should now be fixed and those users may now want to upgrade to 4.9".

Grab the files you need from here,

http://www.mediafire.com/?zogjimgyyqm
    Install THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL FIRST................Then....
    Any black screens or DSI stack errors that may occur during any of the steps below are 99% harmless. Simply power off your Wii and turn it back on, then continue from the step you were on.

1. Copy the contents of the pack you downloaded above onto the root of your SD card keeping the folder structure. Overwrite any existing files.

2. Power on your Wii and go into the Homebrew Channel.

3. Load Multi Mod Manager.

4. Press down then press A to select ‘Install and patch IOS36.’

5. Press A to select Express mode.

6. Loads of text will splash across the screen, when the process has finished press any button on the wiimote.

**If you were only able to install Bootmii to IOS, you may want to install Priiloader now and make a NAND backup of your Wii and familarise yourself with how to access Priiloader before the system menu should you ever need to recover your Wii. Press Home to exit GP DOP-IOS if you choose to do this in order to return to the homebrew channel. When finished installing Priiloader you can continue from step A5.***

7. Press down so Remove stubbed IOS is selected then press A. When asked to check for stub IOSs press A. A number of stub IOSs will be discovered. Press B for ‘NO’ for all IOS files except 222, 223, 249 and 250. Which you should press A to confirm deletion of. Press B for all other IOSs. When the discovery of stub IOS is complete you will be sent to the MMM menu. If you were not asked to remove 222,223,249 or 250 move to step 7.1. Otherwise to continue to step 8.

If you accidentally delete any other stub IOS, it is not the end of the world. However when inserting an original game disc it may ask you to update your system. Should this happen to you visit the ‘safe upgrade to 4.2 page‘, and follow the instructions in that guide to recover your IOS files to the latest versions.

7.1 Run Any Title Deleter MOD from the Homebrew Channel. Choose IOS36 and press A. Go to System Titles and press A. Select the following IOS files one by one and select A to delete them one after the other: IOS222 IOS223 IOS249 IOS250 If any of the above are not listed, check ‘other system files.’ If they are still not to be found, do not worry, just ignore and move onto the next step below, the guide may still work. Press home to exit when finished.

8. Still in MMM, press up to select Run WAD Manager, then press A.

9. Press 1 to select all the wad files in the folder, then press A to continue.

If you get any install errors with the above wads, try step 7.1 above and then try again.

10. When finished press home on your wiimote twice to exit back to the homebrew channel.

You are now set for playing backups on your Wii.

Tutorial above with pictures, thanks to the poster Rob Mulally !!!
    http://www.robmulally.net/my-wii-gui...ames-from-hdd/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EVERYTHING BELOW IS FOR THE OLDER TUTORIAL OK.30/03/2010.
    DELL_XPS
    DIGITAL_KAOS_2010
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Post from AdeWii 08/05/2010
    As one of the few places of where I actually post (all be it rarely) I just wanted to let you know this morning I made the tough decision to leave the front line of Wii softmodding support. I would like to thank everyone that made the tools possible, and anyone that found my tutorials useful.

Of course there is still plenty of useful resources out there on the web including this forum. I will occasionally still monitor these forums at even more rarely GBATemp.

I do have a backup of the blog pages, so if there is any particular guide that you feel has been wiped from the face of the web for good, then PM me and I can post you the content, I will not start topics of them myself as the main reason for pulling the blog is simply I don't have the time to keep it at the forefront of what's going on anymore and answering people's questions was also taking up too much time. So feel free to re-post and modify anything you see fit (although some form of credit would obviously still be appreciated for the underlying work)

All download packs are still available so any guides such as this one which have been re-posted, the links for the downloads are still live.

There is no point posting something like this without explaining myself, so I may as well.

As I said, time is the main reason. Contrary to popular belief I am not some spotty kid in his bedroom. I am 30 years old, have a house to upkeep and a job which more than ever is now sending me all over the UK at the drop of a hat. My girlfriend has also recently become ill, its nothing serious but has made me realise she deserves a bit more of my time, especially due to my job situation. So something had to go.

Like I say here and GBAtemp will be the only places I will keep an eye on. I will try and get involved as much as possible with the community, both here on the Wii pages and also the Xbox360 pages.

Keep up the good work everyone and thanks for the traffic to my site and the support over the past 12 months or so.

Older Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by adewii View Post
    Wii consoles purchased towards the later half of 2009, including all black Wii consoles have a newer DVD drive (D3-2) inside them. These Wii consoles will not play games from blank DVD discs, they will however work with a USB loader. To find out if your Wii is likely to have a D3-2 drive go to this site.
    It's been a while since I did anything with the Wii, anyways I was asked to softmod a 4.2E, tried a few tutorials but couldn't find anything quick and easy to get it done. ( I know there's a few tutorials posted but i couldn't get anything to work with the 4.2E firmware). After a few hours of searching/googling I came across this well written tutorial, and if you install cIOS 14 or 15 ( see attachments below) using Uloader 3.3 you will get the newest Mario game etc working, once cIOS 14 or 15 is installed, start up Uloader then select load/play and it's as easy as that, (see below for instructions on how to install cIOS 14 or 15) .I take no credit for any of these tutorials, I'm only pointing people in the right direction as I thought It was a pain in the (*)(*) to find out how to softmod a 4.2E Wii.This tutorial does not work for version 4.0,4.1 or lower Firmware peeps, only use with 4.2E, and it's not my fault if you brick your Wii, unlikely but, always always read everything twice !!!! Anyways.............

Here goes, this should take you no more than 30 mins tops, I have only done this on a 4.2E version as mentioned above it only works on 4.2E.....

Download bannerbomb v2 from here,
    bannerbomb
    follow the instructions, as soon as you have the homebrew channel on your Wii your good to go......

Next.....
    Visit this website, Ade's blog....
    HOWTO: Setup a System Menu 4.2 Wii for playing backups of commercial games with uLoader Ade's Softmodding Wii blog

Download this file:
    complete4_2.zip

Follow the tutorial.
    Any black screens or DSI stack errors that may occur during any of the steps below are 99% harmless. Simply power off your Wii and turn it back on, then continue from the step you were on.

Method A

A1. Copy the contents of the pack you downloaded above onto the root of your SD card keeping the folder structure. Overwrite any existing files.

A2. Power on your Wii and go into the Homebrew Channel.

A3. Load GP DOP-IOS MOD. Press A to continue

A4. Press down to select ‘Install an IOS that accepts fakesigning.’ When asked choose to load IOS from SD. Follow any further prompts and press A when it finishes to return to GP DOP-IOS MOD menu.

**If you were only able to install Bootmii to IOS, you may want to install Priiloader now and make a NAND backup of your Wii and familarise yourself with how to access Priiloader before the system menu should you ever need to recover your Wii. Press Home to exit GP DOP-IOS if you choose to do this in order to return to the homebrew channel. When finished installing Priiloader you can continue from step A5.***

A5. In GP DOP IOS. Press left on the D pad until IOS 36 is selected. Press A. Press A again. When asked to check for stub IOSs press A. A number of stub IOSs will be discovered. Press B for ‘NO’ for all IOS files except 222, 223, 249 and 250. Which you should press A to confirm deletion of. Press B for all other IOSs. When the discovery of stub IOS is complete you will be sent to the DOP-IOS menu. Press home to exit back to the homebrew channel. If you were not asked to remove 222,223,249 or 250 move to step A5.1. Otherwise to continue to step 6.

If you accidentally delete any other stub IOS, it is not the end of the world. However when inserting an original game disc it may ask you to update your system. Should this happen to you visit the ‘safe upgrade to 4.2 page‘, and follow the instructions in that guide to recover your IOS files to the latest versions.

A5.1 Run Any Title Deleter MOD from the Homebrew Channel. Choose IOS36 and press A. Go to System Titles and press A. Select the following IOS files one by one and select A to delete them one after the other: IOS222 IOS223 IOS249 IOS250 If any of the above are not listed, check ‘other system files.’ If they are still not to be found, do not worry, just ignore and move onto the next step below, the guide may still work. Press home to exit when finished.

A6. In the Homebrew Channel Run WAD Manager.

When it opens choose IOS36, Press A to open from SD slot. Install the following WAD files as listed below to your Wii:

cIOS202[38+60]-v4.wad
    cIOS222[38]-v4.wad
    cIOS223[38+37]-v4.wad
    cIOS249-v14.wad
    cIOS250-v14.wad
    IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND].wad
    uloader-UMRD wad

If you get any install errors with the above wads, try step 5.1 above and then try again. If still no luck start over with method B below.

You are now set for playing backups on your Wii. For details of using uLoader scroll down to past Method B.

If you often access the SD menu on your Wii console, delete the boot.elf from the root of your SD card to prevent bannerbomb from launching everytime you enter the SD card menu.

Method B

B1. Load Trucha Bug Restorer. Press B to choose No IOS Reload. Wait a few seconds and then press 1 to continue. Choose Downgrade IOS15. When prompted, choose load IOS from SD and press A to continue, follow the prompts and exit when finished.

B2. Load Trucha Bug restorer again and this time press left on the Wii remote until you select IOS15 and Press A. Wait a few seconds and press 1. Choose IOS36 menu. Copy the settings so they are exactly as listed below:

Install IOS to slot (36)
    Hash check (trucha) YES
    ES_Identity YES
    Nand Permissions YES

Scroll back up and select install patched IOS36. When asked choose to load IOS from SD. Follow any further prompts and exit when finished.

B3. Load Trucha Bug Restorer yet again, now choose IOS36 and press A. Wait a few seconds and press 1. Choose to restore IOS15. Press A to restore. When Prompted always choose ‘Load IOS from SD’ follow any further prompts and exit when finished.

If at this point you get a DSI stack error, try powering down your Wii completly and then turning it back on and carrying on from step 3. If the DSI error continues, in the Homebrew channel press the home button and choose to go into the Bootmii menu. From inside Bootmii choose to load the homebrew channel again, and then run Trucha Bug Restorer. You should now be able to follow the step B3 instructions fully.

**If you were only able to install Bootmii to IOS, you may want to install Priiloader now and make a NAND backup of your Wii and familarise yourself with how to access Priiloader before the system menu should you ever need to recover your Wii. When finished installing Priiloader you can continue from step B4.***

B4. Run Any Title Deleter MOD from the Homebrew Channel. Choose IOS36 and press A. Go to System Titles and press A. Select the following IOS files one by one and select A to delete them one after the other:

IOS222
    IOS223
    IOS249
    IOS250

If any of the above are not listed, check other system files. If they are still not to be found, do not worry, just ignore and move onto the next one or the next step below, the guide may still work. Press home to exit when finished.

B5. In the Homebrew Channel Run WAD Manager. When it opens choose IOS36, Press A to open from SD slot. Install the following WAD files as listed below to your Wii:

cIOS202[38+60]-v4.wad
    cIOS222[38]-v4.wad
    cIOS223[38+37]-v4.wad
    cIOS249-v14.wad
    cIOS250-v14.wad
    IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND].wad
    uloader-UMRD wad.

You are now set for playing backups on your Wii.

Ade has updated the files so ULoader 3.3 and cIOS 14 is included now,you can download cIOS 15 below if you prefer to use that, Ade explains the differences between cIOS 14 & 15 see below.

I have tested a few 4.2E with cIOS 14 and 15, both work great,the new ULoader is even simpler to use as well.These files will enable you to play the very latest games, New Mario game etc, the only game I'm led to believe that does not run from disc is the new Ghostbusters game, if anyone can clarify this please let me know asap ?....

This guide does not work on older firmware !!!, and it will only work with the new black 4.2E Wii's using a Hard Drive, using DVDR's will just give you an error.....

How to Install cIOS rev 15, attached below....

1.download cIOS38_rev15-Installer.dol ( see attachment )

2.make a folder on your SD card in apps called, CIOS15, copy the cIOS38_rev15-Installer.dol into it, rename it to boot.dol, now the folder on your SD card should look like this Apps--CIOS15--boot.dol

3.Fire up the homebrew channel, locate the CIOS15 folder, install it via NETWORK not by wad or you get an error, you have to be connected to the net to download it, so make sure your online when doing this !!!

4.Once installed make sure you still have the uloader on your SD card, click on ULoader in the Wii channel, press 2 to launch from DVD,if you have downloaded an NTSC/JAP title go into config options and select NTSC or JAP b4 running/loading the game,If I have missed anything send me a PM, cheers.

And lastly a big thanks to Ade for the blog and the files,he is now a member on Digital Kaos, cheers m8 !!!

BACK UP YOUR NAND (OPTIONAL),(stole this from somewhere on the net....)

Making a NAND backup with Bootmii is highly recommended, it will recover your Wii from 99.9% of bricks.
    Use the same SD card you used to install Bootmii and make sure there is at least 530mb free on it.
    Bootmii is very fussy about what SD cards it uses, so avoid generic ones and try and use a Sandisk or similar.

a) Put the SD card into the Wii, if you installed Bootmii as boot2 then it will load, if it is installed as an IOS go to the Homebrew Channel, press 'home' on your wiimote and select 'Launch Bootmii'.

b) Use the power/reset/eject buttons to navigate the Bootmii menu and select the icon with the gears on it. If those buttons don't work then you will have to use a Gamecube controller.

c) Now select the icon with a green arrow pointing from the chip to the SD card and follow the on screen instructions.

D) In about 10 mins you will have a NAND backup, it is normal to have up to 80 bad blocks so don't worry if you get some.

e) Put the SD card into PC and copy the NAND backup somewhere safe, you can now delete it from your card. If you installed Bootmii as boot2 then also copy the Bootmii folder to your PC and either delete or rename it, otherwise it will load every time you switch your Wii on.

If ever you get bricked then copy the bootmii folder and NAND backup onto your card, do steps a) & b) again, using Preloader to get to HBC if necessary, then select the icon with the arrow going from the SD card to the chip. It is not recommended to restore your NAND if you have Bootmii installed as an IOS.[/COLOR]
    Now on board we have Adewii who wrote this tutorial, here he explains all about cIOS 14 & 15.

Just to clear up the cIOS rev thing.

cIOS rev 15 is quite buggy. It's obvious Waninkoko did a rush job of it since the Wii is no longer his priority. However no one should ever complain because without him we would never have got this far with Softmodding the Wii.

Anyway the only additional feature Rev15 really brings is support for dual layer discs from backup launchers. The only backup launchers that will boot Mario Bros Wii with Rev15 is uLoader and USB Loader GX.

It also breaks the Gamecube backup launcher so if you use that it will no longer work.

Also due to the bugs in it, the author of Neogammar is not officially supporting it either, so if your going to be using neogammer I would recommend you stay on Rev14.

As for the new Mario Bros, most of the fixes for this are actually supplied by the loaders themselves, not the cIOS. The latest version of Neogammer will play the 'patched' version of the game fine from rev14.

uLoader latest version included a method of how to do it so can be run from IOS222. currently it's done manually but an automated way should come soon. (This is the main reason for my guides always recmmending ULoader, because the author of the app is also the author of the cIOS222 most of the features for that cIOS will be supported by uLoader first)

It does involve having the original game or burning a copy of the ISO to DVD and then having to burn another.

I uLoader 3.2 or above:

1) Enter into "DVD" option and press "Show BCA Datas".

2) Copy that hexadecimal string (uloader 3.3 will copy the data to a text file to the root of your SD):

An example would be:

0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000
    0000000000000000 0000000000000000 00000001ab89e754 3047b3f157d44132

3) Take that ISO to the PC and hexedit with a hexeditor, you have to copy that bytes (not insert) from offset 0x100. As shown here:

http://www.eurasia.nu/images/submitt...boots_fine.png

4) Burn to DVD, or copy new ISO to HDD.

An automatic patch will be released soon, but for now, that's the procedure.

Below is the string you would insert for New Mario Bros Wii (yes, they just but in a whole single byte, great protection!!!)

0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000
    0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000100000000 0000000000000000

Otherwise just search the torrent sites for the patched version and play with neogammer or get a 1GB USB pen drive or something and use the USB method of loading, which is obviously easier than trying to do it yourself and i would recommend USB loading over discs any day of the week. Games are much more compatible and load at the correct speeds. (DVD-R can only be read at 3x via softmodding, where as the original games run at 6x which explains why cut scene and games such as Guitar Hero suffer such drastic drag when used on a DVD backup launcher, you get none of these problems on USB.)

If Rev15 is doing the job for you then obviously keep it, the methods outlined above just tell you how to get it working with Rev14 with neogammer or uLoader. Also if your going to recommend uLoader as the main loader for games then I would recommend the games are run off IOS222 and not 249 as it's much more compatible. If your following my guide to softmod then you should be installing the IOS222 etc wad files anyway so shouldn't have a need to load the game from IOS249?

P.S> Thanks to the author of this thread as I get plenty of hits to my blog from here.

I have just tested new super mario bros wii with uloader 3.3 from DVD-R and the game works fine now on cIOS222 rev4.

No need to do any upgrading to cIOS249 rev15 anymore.

Also this was with a pre-patched version of the game. So not sure of the original ISO image that hasn't been patched. (I haven't got time to download another 4GB before our work crimbo party tonight)

I'm not sure on the forum rules here so I won't post a link to a torrent of the patched version of the game, but a simple google search will see you find it.

As the OP links to my guide for 4.2 modification anyway, it now includes uLoader 3.3 in the pack, so for any newbies there is no need to go out looking for it.

For anyone else on a lower version you can visit my blog from the OP and then find the page for upgrading uLoader to 3.3.

I'll try and keep an eye on this forum post as it does generate close to 200 daily hits to my blog, but for any direct questions please ask them on my blog as I am much more likely to respond quicker there.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dell_xps; 15th June, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dell_xps For This Useful Post:

odeedj (28th July, 2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hi there
    thanks for the guide!
    got the homebrew channel installed - pop!
    am I best off installing 'bootmii as ios' now or shall i follow the instructions for complete4_2.zip? (want to do a backup in case it goes t!ts up....
    thanks again

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punter987 View Post
    hi there
    thanks for the guide!
    got the homebrew channel installed - pop!
    am I best off installing 'bootmii as ios' now or shall i follow the instructions for complete4_2.zip? (want to do a backup in case it goes t!ts up....
    thanks again

personally, i'd try install as boot2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All installed perfect and works a treat .. now to get that mario working

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ManofScience View Post
    personally, i'd try install as boot2
    i thought u couldn't do that with 4.2!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

i thought u couldn't do that with 4.2!?
    I installed it as an ISO and as Boot2, did a nand backup also to the SD card, then backed it up to my PC just to be on the safe side, this all adds to the time though, crack on to the next bit if you want to skip bootmii/nand backup, BUT if your in no hurry guys do the nand backup, you can use the on/off button and the reset button on the Wii to skip through the menu's in bootmii if you do not have a gamecube controller.
    HTH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wodymanboo View Post
    All installed perfect and works a treat .. now to get that mario working
    Mario Kart, was one of the games I tried first on the 4.2, worked no probs at all m8.
    HTH

EDIT New mario game works, see couple of posts below.
    Last edited by dell_xps; 23rd November, 2009 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Giving me major grief tried with and without the patch (pal version) btw im trying to get it working from disc not usb !
    Keep getting error no dvd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wodymanboo View Post
    Giving me major grief tried with and without the patch (pal version) btw im trying to get it working from disc not usb !
    Keep getting error no dvd
    What discs are you using m8, + or - ?
    I usually use Verbatim, I use a Plextor writer, burn no problem at 16X also.
    if your using + try -DVDR's.
    What speed did you burn the disc at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The new mario game works if the main.dol is patched, look for ind-nsmb-pal_maindol_patched.iso, I use newsgroups, might be the same name in a torrent, as long as it's been patched it will work with this method I've posted above, same will probably go for new releases the main.dol will have to be patched first.
    This is running fine on my Wii, burnt at 16X.
    HTH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank You dell_xps
    All worked perfectly.
    Except I couldn't download Neogamma (Cause i'm new), so i managed to find it somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for this post.I've got a first release wii with a wiinja modchip installed which has been great for nearly 3 years but looks like I'll soon have to update if I want to play latest wave of games (like NSMB).
    Does anyone know if you can softmod a wii that already has a modchip in it.Also can you play iso's from a usb stick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

cheers guys, got this working using an old 2.5" icy box enclosure I had lying around and a scabby 20gb hdd.
    it wouldn't work when I tried burning the iso to a tesco 8x dvd+r even at 2x speed.....
    is there a way I can get it to boot straight into a loader with a menu to then just select which game off the usb hdd?
    thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

cheers guys, got this working using an old 2.5" icy box enclosure I had lying around and a scabby 20gb hdd.
    it wouldn't work when I tried burning the iso to a tesco 8x dvd+r even at 2x speed.....
    is there a way I can get it to boot straight into a loader with a menu to then just select which game off the usb hdd?
    thanks again!
    Try a DVD -R Punter.
    Dont understand your second question m8 ??
    Last edited by dell_xps; 24th November, 2009 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
    Thanks for this post.I've got a first release wii with a wiinja modchip installed which has been great for nearly 3 years but looks like I'll soon have to update if I want to play latest wave of games (like NSMB).
    Does anyone know if you can softmod a wii that already has a modchip in it.Also can you play iso's from a usb stick
    Yes and Yes m8.
    I have a wiikey v2 installed and it's softmodded.
    The stick will have to be an 8GB 16GB 32GB though as most ISO's are 4.3GB,
    HTH

Page 1 of 63 1234561151 ... LastLast