Register
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Default 2016 Accord Cluster Disassemble - Speedometer

Looking to get information on getting this instrument cluster apart. I already have the 3 smaller needles removed (Tachometer, Fuel, Temp) and trying to figure out the center speedometer without damage. Here is a stock photo of what the cluster looks like. I have already tried the back solder points with no success using my ARlabs programmer.

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

after you remove lens and the three small needles , you have to unglue the face film(the dial markings),move the center needle to the left and unglue the right side and do the same on the left remove the round display , pop the center needle up and wiggle the needle gently out of the opening , sounds odd but afteryou unglue the face you'll understand,good luck

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

I was lucky with carprog original on back points.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

No need to remove needles, plus unless you know how to reset motors you will never get them right again, they will shake and twitch. Use kynar
    Had a issue Had a issue with my uploads so if you see one of my posts and need that dump let me know and I'll post it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Send me a PM if you're still fighting this and I might be able to help.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ascrap2003 View Post
    No need to remove needles, plus unless you know how to reset motors you will never get them right again, they will shake and twitch. Use kynar
    Hi could you please tell how you fix the needles to stop them shaking & twitching ?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dashradio View Post
    Hi could you please tell how you fix the needles to stop them shaking & twitching ?
    Ok do so at your own risk!

If needle pin is attached to needle remove it, if still in motor let be..

Carefully pry off motor cap on back, now using a small T Pin etc, you will see a small hole above center of gauge motor insert pin there and keep a good amount of pressure on it while tapping with a small tool etc on the needle pin on other side till the pin sets. youll know its set when there is little play and when you place needle back on, when moving needle it will move itself to next magnetic stop. Its not always failproof, has worked for me 75% of the time but out of every 10 motors you will lose 1 or 2 so always keep raplacements on hand. Once you get the feel you maybe able to do 2 or 3 clusters in a row before needing to replace a motor.

On another note if you can remove needle without disturbing pin then no problem.

The problem itself is that the needle pin gear and motor gear are spot on and when needle is removed and reinserted the depth/height of the gear is off so either not work, twitch etc.
    Last edited by ascrap2003; 20th September, 2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Had a issue Had a issue with my uploads so if you see one of my posts and need that dump let me know and I'll post it!