Openbox - no signal on most FTA channels
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Openbox - no signal on most FTA channels

Hi,
    I am a novice regarding satellite dishes/boxes and looking for some help in setting up my openbox. I bought it a year ago as a cheap 'freesat' box in my rented property that had a satellite dish. Seemed easy to use - just plugged it in to the satellite cable and ready to use. I have just moved house and can't get it to work properly. I don't really understand the set up in the new property. There are 2 satellite dishes outside. There is a twin cable coming into the house with 2 coax cables. I don't know which of these to plug into the openbox. I have tried both, but with either I don't get a signal on any of the normal FTA channels (BBC, ITV etc). If I do a scan for new channels it finds lots of them (Dave, Really, Sky News, Channel 4+1), but I still don't get any signals on the normal FTA channels. So I know the box is picking up a feed from the dish, but can't seem to find all the channels. A quick google search came up with info about LNBs. At this point I was getting very lost and unsure what a LNB is and whether I need to reconfigure the openbox for an alternative LNB. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    467 Posts

Is the dish a communal one, shared with other households, or is it for your property only?

If it's a shared dish, I was wondering if it might need the "no signal fix" that affected channels on vertical polarisation, but I see that you mention "Really" as one of the channels that you can view. Really is on a vertical transponder, so it can't be that issue.

Your LNB frequency settings on the Openbox should be set to Universal (9750 - 10600).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hadron View Post
    Is the dish a communal one, shared with other households, or is it for your property only?

If it's a shared dish, I was wondering if it might need the "no signal fix" that affected channels on vertical polarisation, but I see that you mention "Really" as one of the channels that you can view. Really is on a vertical transponder, so it can't be that issue.

Your LNB frequency settings on the Openbox should be set to Universal (9750 - 10600).
    Thanks for the feedback. It is not a communal one. LNB is set up to be Univeral. I had tried changing it to other LNB's but this didn't seem to make a difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just a bit more info, if I do a blind search with each of the two coax cables, I get a large number of channels (a few hundred on each) but these channels are different for each coax cable. I am searching using Sky UK 28 satellite. However, neither of the cables find any of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 channels (although one seems to find Channel 4 +1). Most of the channels it finds are foreign but there are quite a few of the more obscure English FTA Channels (eg Dave, Quest, Really). It finds all the normal scrambled channels (Sky Sports, Eurosport, BT Sport etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

After a bit more research I think I have found the cause of my problem which may be of interest to others. Firstly whilst I have 2 satellite dishes, one of these has been disconnected. The other box appears to be set up for Sky Q. This has 2 cables and will only work with Sky Q boxes as it uses a proprietary LNB. My solutions are to subscribe to the Sky Q service (expensive) or to replace the LNB on the dish (much cheaper, but need a ladder!). I somewhat naively thought that all satellite dishes were the same, but I now understand it is a lot more complex than that. I am a bit old school and look back fondly at the good old days when you simply plugged your TV into the aerial and got 5 channels!

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/...-universal-lnb
    Last edited by James Morgan; 1st October, 2018 at 06:37 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to James Morgan For This Useful Post:

Hadron (4th October, 2018)