Guide: Flash and Backup an Image via Telnet - Page 3
Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

excellent stuff, first time for me updating dm500c since buying it, stable system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    you may have created more problems than solved m8, if its a bad flash you,ll need a null modem cable and dreamup software to rescue the box.

it will flash a new image to the box safely, i always use the null lead to send images to mine, it takes longer but is safer and you can rescue it if it goes tits up.

hopefully you already have a null modem cable at home, if so plug it in your pc and box and use dreamup software to send the image to the box.

for people who are not into telnet and fxp it is the easiest way to go.

start software select com port1 click connect, plug box in(power) then flash image, simple no going wrong but it takes a bit longer than the other ways.
    What should you do when it goes belly up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i had the 600 working on cli image and wanted to try a different one ,dreamup would not flash. [useing laptop / vista and comport converter ] so i thaught i,d do it as you suggested with telenet. ie
    mount -o remount,rw /boot
    rm -f /boot/*
    reboot
    used putty program to do this. i had ip set on the box and i could telenet to the box before this. after putting in the command mount -o remount,rw /boot
    rm -f /boot/*
    reboot the box went off and came on with red light flashinrg and the odd green flashing light every now and again. now i.m stuck,any idea,s m8? thanks for the reply.also tried restarting the box with power button held down , still no joy.???????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am doing a friend a favour by trying to get his DBox up and running, and wondering do the telnet commands that are detailed on this thread work on a dbox.
    I have been using this method for my 500c and have never had a problem, so I was hoping I could flash a image using this telnet method for the DBox.
    Also I know it is doubtful, but is it possible to flash DK1 image on a DBox or is this image specific to dreambox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Easier?

is it easier to use telnet dcc or dreaup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default backup

just wondering if you backup the image off one dream box is it possible to copy it over to another box so there running on the same flash software

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default help

Quote Originally Posted by thommo View Post
    you may have created more problems than solved m8, if its a bad flash you,ll need a null modem cable and dreamup software to rescue the box.

it will flash a new image to the box safely, i always use the null lead to send images to mine, it takes longer but is safer and you can rescue it if it goes tits up.

hopefully you already have a null modem cable at home, if so plug it in your pc and box and use dreamup software to send the image to the box.

for people who are not into telnet and fxp it is the easiest way to go.

start software select com port1 click connect, plug box in(power) then flash image, simple no going wrong but it takes a bit longer than the other ways.

my box won't allow you to click on to flash as it is greyed out.. what am i doing wrong...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question dead box now

followed your instructions to the letter and my box is useless now,i've only a green light on the front,nothing else but a black screen,no menu's or welcome screen,channels or anything,any ideas?????????how can i rescue this now?????????????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is there a similar way to use telnet to make a .nfi backup image for a 600....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having problems with Dreambox tools v3
    When I run universal dreamup I get an error "there is something alive with IP 192.168.xxx.xxx in your network that is not a dreambox. Dreamup may not work properly"

Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hope this above will work for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks !!!!!guys!!very helpful if you dont have dreamup!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, Will this command work for image backup from Dreamup?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh god...

i renamed the image wrong when i ftped it - i typed in the command and it got as far as erasing but stopped when it couldn't find a matching image file

i then repeated the command and get the error message:

"cp: unable to open '/dev.mt/3': no such file or directory"

what should i do?

edit:

nevermind i restarted my telnet client and redid the commands - which seems to have done the job
    Last edited by godsakes; 21st February, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alliv View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i had the 600 working on cli image and wanted to try a different one ,dreamup would not flash. [useing laptop / vista and comport converter ] so i thaught i,d do it as you suggested with telenet. ie
    mount -o remount,rw /boot
    rm -f /boot/*
    reboot
    used putty program to do this. i had ip set on the box and i could telenet to the box before this. after putting in the command mount -o remount,rw /boot
    rm -f /boot/*
    reboot the box went off and came on with red light flashinrg and the odd green flashing light every now and again. now i.m stuck,any idea,s m8? thanks for the reply.also tried restarting the box with power button held down , still no joy.???????
    Ok first time poster here but this looks like you erased your boot loader very smilar command in osx rm -rf / will delete every thing /boot would this not be the bootloader use jtag to reprogram ?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast