Keys, SoftCams and Emulators (EMU)
Register
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

Default Keys, SoftCams and Emulators (EMU)

There are two types of channel that are sent out by the cable company; FTA (free-to-air) and encrypted.

Free-to-air channels are basically freeview channels. You don't need to subscribe to a package to get these channels. If you use an image without an emu or keys you would still get these channels.

Encrypted channels are channels that the cable company want you to pay for. These channels are encrypted before being sent out and normally you would pay the cable company for a smartcard which you would slot into your recevicer and this will allow you to receive the encrypted channels. It's kinda like when you buy software and you get a key with it. You won't be able to use the software without knowing the key.

Keys are also included in the cable stream. Normally your digital smartcard will extract the keys from the stream and store them in memory. It would then use these keys to decrypt the channels when you flick through them. Since we don't use a smartcard with a dbox we need something else to decrypt the channels. This is where the softcam (also known as a cam or emulator (emu)) comes in. The box or image itself doesn't know what to do with the keys, it's the softcam that grabs the keys from the stream and stores them in a file (keylist.txt, Autoroll.key, Autoupdate.key). If the keys are changed by the cable company the softcam will update the keys stored in the file.

The enctytion that the cable company usesis called Nagra1. So we also need to include nagra rom files in our images. These go in /var/scce and /var/keys.

There are several different softcams that we can use; evocamd, mgcamd, newcamd & gbox. It doesn't really matter what one you use, they all do the same thing. Some emu won't work in certain areas or on certain providers so it's good there are alternatives. The emu can also cause problems with direct recording over ethernet so if you have a blocky recording, try changing the emu or the tuner driver.
    Get Digital Kaos on your Apple or Android device with Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Devilfish For This Useful Post:

billybob69 (15th April, 2014), nongnong (23rd February, 2014), pirsquared8 (27th April, 2013), TCBigsy31 (7th August, 2013), technocell (1st March, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the concise and informative post Devilfish , im new to the dbox , though not to linux , just starting to build up a picture of how all the pieces fit together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

always wondered how it all happened

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help needed

Rom 7 is the only rom needed this was new to me, of all the other forums this forum is impartial and teh most informative, thanks mainly to good administrators and members

Keep up the good work

Cheers
    Last edited by balikuyu; 17th July, 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good stuff, im learning all the time on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks m8. My Commando 6 is not auto updating, what should I do? The dbox was switched off for one year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrKahn View Post
    Thanks m8. My Commando 6 is not auto updating, what should I do? The dbox was switched off for one year.
    its because the roms in that image are now out of date you either flash a new image to your box with up to date files or you can try and install the new ones into your image you have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have the latest blade trinity image, is that capable of auto updating

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shy9010 View Post
    i have the latest blade trinity image, is that capable of auto updating
    its like any image m8, if where you got it deleted the keys and roms, then no it will not auto update.

If you can ftp to your box, and look in the keys and scce folders, you will find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info on where things go...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for sharing !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can i decrypt nagra2 channels using this DIGITAL KAOS v1.1 image ? I have a dump from a local smartcard, which keys i need and how do i store them on dreambox ? Thank's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

just need to jump in here,probably feet first, i have just flashed sportster and done a channel scan but only freebbies are working' its my understanding that i needs keys to unlock these, i have downloaded some files and used my ftp to try and put them on my dbox2 but there's no change. so i must be doing something wrong. can anyone help with some files that work and maybe a guide as to how to do it, not asking much hey
    thanks

Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

All rom files go in /var/scce and all key files go in /var/keys.

The rom files will end with .bin. It's probably a good idea to put them in /var/keys and /var/scce to be safe.

All other files, i.e. Keylist.txt, Autoroll.key, camd_cfg, Softcam.key, Autoupdate.key, etc. these go in the /var/keys folder.

Once you've got the files in the right folders, go to sky sports 1 then restart the EMU....there's usually an option in the blue button menu. Give it a few minutes and see if it auto updates the keys and the channels should come on.
    Get Digital Kaos on your Apple or Android device with Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i have tryed the above, i am sure i am doing it right,however i am getting a message files failed to transfer, and i am still locked out ,any idea's were i am going wrong, have i got the correct files?,there just look the same as what is all ready there if it asks that the files are allready there i click on overwrite,
    thanks
    aback again (hours later and after reading loads of posts) finally got it all working, how, well two main things i checked first the ip address on my pc and dbox2 were correct,that got the files moving but box was still not working till i read a post about deleteing the files form the keys folder and than transfering the new ones the same with the other file. and its working great.
    so a big THANKYOU to all that replyed to my posts, and all the other posts i got info from
    Last edited by davmac; 21st September, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast