War of Independence
Register
    Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default War of Independence

Did Great Britain lose? Do we still run U S A?
    We fought wars against the spanish, the french, the boers, and won.
    Did a ragtag bunch of colonists (and mel gibson) really batter us? or was the distances involved not cost effective so we came to an arrangement.?
    How come Denver International Airport (which is a mystery by its self) is built on land owned by the queen?
    Just what is this "special relationship"?
    I don't propose to have all the answers, but it strikes me as strange that the supposed most powerful nation on earth (usa) can't have a war without a tiny drizzle soaked island tagging along.
    Discuss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

well i dont know much about any of this but il tell you what i do

it pi**es the f**k out of me why we always seem to lick round the usa's arse

we are (or used to be) great britain we should be proud and stand on our own two feet

we used to rule the world and the the waves now we are liile puppydogs

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed I think it's disgusting how the country has seemingly lost it's spine....and now we pander to every whim including the immigrants which is another story for another day which I won't go into now.

This is the first I've heard of the Independance war being secretly called to a truce. I'm not sure it's true though but then I haven't looked into it at all so I'm just going by word of mouth at the minute. We are allies of the Americans right now and they are the superpower that's why we are seemingly arse licking them.

I do think it's disgusting though how we once owned half the world and then decided to give it back to them and now they won't let us in! . Can't say I blame them though however I still think it's stupid. Tally-ho at least we still own Gibraltor .
    Last edited by Raven; 11th October, 2008 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you're over simplifying things the collonists had allies, the French and Spanish. Britain was fighting on many different fronts. The war ended because Britain had bigger fish to fry, the French and Spanish. it wasn't a secret truce it was the treaty of Paris in 1783 that formally ended the war.

thebigman

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

We are the only county to have invaded the USA... And we did sack the city of Washington DC and burn down the White House in 1814.. Although this was after the war of indpendence which was in 1775–1783.

The British were busy fight Napolean in Europe at time we torched the place and it seems is was just a simple gesture in retaliation for an attack on the Canadain parliament buildings or something like that

However it was my undertsanding that as the yanks were being bankrolled by the French and indeed recieved direct French military support especially at Chesapeake . Also our [tactical commander] man in charge out there Lord Cornwallis dropped the ball ona few occasions. Did you knwo that one third of the troops fighting under the British flag were German recruited from german princes.

I, like Raven, had not heard about this 'truce' theory befor. I understood that In London as political support for the war plummeted after Yorktown, Prime Minister Lord North resigned in March 1782. In April 1782, the Commons voted to end the war in America. Preliminary peace articles were signed in Paris at the end of November, 1782; the formal end of the war did not occur until the Treaty of Paris was signed on September 3, 1783, and the United States Congress of the Confederation ratified the treaty on January 14, 1784. The last British troops left New York City on November 25, 1783.

As for the Denver Airport bit, thats amusing, had never heard that before either. However isn't it the case that Manhattan Island is privately owned but the hier is not known but rumoured to possibly be a person (as yet unknown) somewhere in Wales..

But back to the original subject, there could be some interesting theories..

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've heard tell that there are two copies of the original declaration of indepence. one for the americans and one for us. ours, it seems is quite a bit longer than the american version. almost as if its been edited for some reason. and ours states that the americas are still subject to british sovereignty.

and its true what shady says. everytime the americans go to war they call on us. before they decide on a war, its us they come to consult with. just what do they need us for. they are the biggest and most powerful nation on the planet.
    their military is more than just just a group of forces, they are literally a war machine.
    we are just a tiny island nation who just happened to rule almost the entire world at some point (perhaps we still do).
    do they really need us? just what is it about us?
    is it the fact that we do still control them? is it that they are running to daddy when they've got a booboo?
    i believe so and so do many others.
    you don't have to believe it but it certainly makes you think.