Satellite on the pc
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Satellite on the pc

noob here, i was thinking about getting satellite tv on my pc, whith the something like the TerraTec Cinergy S2 PCI HD, but i don't know which program to use to emu CAM/smart card.
    Cheers Raneth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Program

I used to use progdvb but never really got into the card side of things

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I have gone down the satellite on PC route in the past, and to be honest i cannot see any benefits for it...I had a Skystar HD PCI card, and it used so many resources it slowed my PC down to a crawl....Also if you intent to do c/s you will need to leave your pc on all the time. I suggest you get a decent video capture PCI card and a good Satellite STB. Then you can use the STB for c/s by leaving it on, and then watch the STB through your video capture card on your PC. You can also send a 75ohm coax over to your TV and get a picture on that as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mac & Terratec S7

Had a HTPC which passed:
    -2 video cards Hercules 9800SE..way to hot for HTPC
    and some 6600XT card...much better but noisier.
    -2 sat-cards..internal once sucked big time..never worked.
    Then I got the FireDTV-S. That one worked most of the times
    but Vista is unusable for any HTPC. Those Redmund guys don't
    know how to scedule CPU usages. So on a 2.4GHz, 2Gb HTPC
    you could only watch TV when all else wast turned off.

The I got an iMac, FireDTV was not supported. Got a Terratec S7. Got angry with the sales of the Terratec for not having a driver disk. The only thing he said was: So you did not plug it in yet? So I did. Works like a real TV that can do 2 streams at the same time, or play internet TV at the same time, do time-shifting by default, can index Picasa from 59Gb foto's on NAS and do some finite element in background without dropping frames, without strange noises from the TV or radio. The last 4 at the same time, while having the best upscaler I have seen ever on PC.
    So if you want sat-on a PC....just take a Mac.

Don't know about Linux, but looking at the stability of my Ubuntu NAS and of a HTC Wildfire, I would not be surprised that sat-on-PC also works with Linux....but not with Vista.