Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face Gemini Killed my Box

Hi to everyone out there,
    i am a newbie to all this and have only managed to get any pictures at all by luck more than judgement. I have had lots of help by reading your threads, but, have still managed to kill two boxes, the first being an Eagle the second a DM500 both by using the Gemini image, i now reliese that you should n,t use Gemini unless you are 101% sure it's not a clone.

which brings me to my question????
    how can you be sure your DM500 is not a clone?
    is there anything i can do to fix the boxes or should i just tape them to a firework and send them into orbit?

if you have a solution please do not PM me keep the thread going as i'm sure i'm not the only idiot out there (or am I)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi there.

The gemini image erased the bootloader program from your box which allows the box to communicate with dreamup etc.
    You need to rewrite this info back onto the chip. Luckily this is possible by JTAG.
    A JTAG possible of doing this can be created very easily.
    Read this post
    http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...ag-dm500-1954/

The last step can be awkwark as timing is critical to get connection.
    UPDATE: especially check out post 51. This seems to solve the critical timing problem of the windows software.

Hope this helps.
    sKeith
    Last edited by sKeith; 6th November, 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by digital concepts View Post
    i am a newbie to all this and have only managed to get any pictures at all by luck more than judgement. I have had lots of help by reading your threads, but, have still managed to kill two boxes, the first being an Eagle the second a DM500 both by using the Gemini image, i now reliese that you should n,t use Gemini unless you are 101% sure it's not a clone.

is there anything i can do to fix the boxes or should i just tape them to a firework and send them into orbit?

if you have a solution please do not PM me keep the thread going as i'm sure i'm not the only idiot out there (or am I)

Hi
    As you are a newbie you have quite a long learning curve to go through and I would suggest you have a good, long read in the Download / Guides section, link below. You may need a few more constructive posts before being allowed into the Downloads Section. The main section you need to read several times to bring your box back to life is Jtag. The Eagle is a clone and if Gemini killed the dm500 that is also a clone.
    UPDATE : Sorry sKieth you beat me
    Digital Kaos - Downloads - Guides
    jbvid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

i nicked this off another site may help people who are not sure whether they have a clone or not so thanks to dadssguy
    Last edited by thered; 21st November, 2008 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Guy's
    I am not Familiar with JTAG,But, as these boxes have missed launch off and can only be used as door stops I will follow this thread and post my results.
    Please go easy with me as i am a newbie, but, if we can sort this out, Who Knows maybe America will have a Black President.
    thanx so far

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ask help in this thread and i'll try to help as best i can, i'm subscribed to it so it'll notify me. I have brought a dead one back to life myself. my dad put gemini on it and it timebombed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

btw, your dont need to understand jtag. just build the thing with a 25 ping plug and a few resisters and connect it to the inards as shown. if you downt have soldering experience or maybe find a friend that does, and printout all the diagrams. once the computer is connected to the dreambox with these new wires its as simple as running that program. then dreamup a new image to box and you are back in business

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi sKeith is there some where i can get this done for me i m not at all confident at the moment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if you are in Ireland, I'll do it for you if you pay the postage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

even if you are 101% sure i still wouldnt use it, after what gemini have done why give them the time of day, then again you were'nt to know, but you do now!! part of the learning curve my freind, you were not the first to use it and you wont be the last! they have caused a lot of people a lot of problems! and as previos posts said just treat them as clones cos most are, the clones out now are proberbly better than the "old" originals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I m sure that GP are trying to maintain the integrity of DM. but, after all are we all not trying to beat the system? so is it not a case of double standards to open loopholes with one hand and close them with the other? any way still trying to get my head around jtag to heal the dead boxes.

The Box is Dream is dead long live the Draem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanx for the offer sKieth but iam in London, Can anyone let me know if i can buy a premade jtag cable and were from

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

thanx for the offer sKieth but iam in London, Can anyone let me know if i can buy a premade jtag cable and were from
    Hi
    Google dreambox jtag, and the popular auction site, they have them.
    jbvid