Register

Hybrid View

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The explanation below is for the default website, Lyngsat. If you are using KoS or Flysat, it is easy enough
    to change the URL and beam names accordingly.

You'll see in the spreadsheet at 26E that the URL is "Badr-4.html". This means that only beams from the
    Badr-4 satellite will be looked up. If you had an enormous dish and thought you could also pick up channels
    from Badr-5 or 6, you could change the URL to "Badr-4-5-6.html".

As for which beams on Badr-4 are possible, the easiest way to find out is as follows:

1) Type "All" in the beams column for 26E and run the macro. The spreadsheet will then pick up every beam
    available from the website. (If you look on Lyngsat, you'll see that the beams are called MBC, BSS and FSS.)

2) Remember to back up your own channel list!
    Copy the resulting "TPs.ndf" file from your PC to a USB stick, and load into your Technomate.

3) Scan Badr-4 on your Technomate, and make a note of which TPs have actually picked up channels.

4) Go to the Lyngsat website and check the names of the beams corresponding to the aforementioned TPs.

5) If, for example, you find that all those TPs are from the MBC and BSS beams, and that none of the TPs
    on the FSS beam gave you any channels, then you can safely change the 26E beam column of the spreadsheet
    to *MBC*BSS* (or Not *FSS* if you prefer). Next time you run the macro, only those beams will be used for
    TPs, saving you a lot of time when you next scan for channels on your Technomate.

(What really slows down the scanning is having a list of hundreds of TPs that have no chance of being picked
    up. The Technomate will spend 10 seconds or so on each one in vain before moving on. By only using suitable
    beams in the spreadsheet, you miss out all the unavailable TPs from your channel list.)

The reason that I haven't already filled in the beams column of 26E is that I can't pick up anything at all on
    my 60cm dish! I've only entered what works for me from 30W to 42E.

Hope this makes sense; give a shout otherwise.

Jetset
    Last edited by jetsetw; 15th February, 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetw View Post
    The explanation below is for the default website, Lyngsat. If you are using KoS or Flysat, it is easy enough
    to change the URL and beam names accordingly.

You'll see in the spreadsheet at 26E that the URL is "Badr-4.html". This means that only beams from the
    Badr-4 satellite will be looked up. If you had an enormous dish and thought you could also pick up channels
    from Badr-5 or 6, you could change the URL to "Badr-4-5-6.html".

As for which beams on Badr-4 are possible, the easiest way to find out is as follows:

1) Type "All" in the beams column for 26E and run the macro. The spreadsheet will then pick up every beam
    available from the website. (If you look on Lyngsat, you'll see that the beams are called MBC, BSS and FSS.)

2) Remember to back up your own channel list!
    Copy the resulting "TPs.ndf" file from your PC to a USB stick, and load into your Technomate.

3) Scan Badr-4 on your Technomate, and make a note of which TPs have actually picked up channels.

4) Go to the Lyngsat website and check the names of the beams corresponding to the aforementioned TPs.

5) If, for example, you find that all those TPs are from the MBC and BSS beams, and that none of the TPs
    on the FSS beam gave you any channels, then you can safely change the 26E beam column of the spreadsheet
    to *MBC*BSS* (or Not *FSS* if you prefer). Next time you run the macro, only those beams will be used for
    TPs, saving you a lot of time when you next scan for channels on your Technomate.

(What really slows down the scanning is having a list of hundreds of TPs that have no chance of being picked
    up. The Technomate will spend 10 seconds or so on each one in vain before moving on. By only using suitable
    beams in the spreadsheet, you miss out all the unavailable TPs from your channel list.)

The reason that I haven't already filled in the beams column of 26E is that I can't pick up anything at all on
    my 60cm dish! I've only entered what works for me from 30W to 42E.

Hope this makes sense; give a shout otherwise.

Jetset
    Please see pm