PDA

View Full Version : Openmedia PSU power supply buzzing, humming dying dead?

waqasahmed
7th March, 2010, 10:09 PM
First of all, sorry about the weird title-its only there to help people with the same problem

Secondly,my problem is that the PSU is simply making a buzzing noise(like crickets chirping) Before, the power light was flashing and now its just buzzing

I have two Openmedia's, so I opened both up and I swapped the fuse from the working one in to the faulty one, hoping it would simply be a fuse fault(At this time I didnt switch it on to find it was humming) but I was proved wrong

I then connected the PSU from the other box, to the mainboard of the box with the PSU on the blink and it worked perfectly

The OM now works, but it just chirps like crickets. Is there any thing I can do? I also am not sure if I should really do anything to the PSU(or send it to someone else) if they have potentially fatal capacitors, seeing as though Ive never done any (life threatening) soldering before!

Hope Ive given enough information

bilsat
12th May, 2010, 06:39 AM
Check that all connections are tight and that you dont have a faulty soldered joint that is arcing on the main pcb. If the PSU is faulty due to the capacitors then you should see a split or bulge in them, if so replace ALL of them!