PDA

View Full Version : pming a noob

gmb45
9th March, 2010, 07:29 AM
is it possible to change the settings for the noobs so you can send them a pm before they have posted ? we get a lot that come into the chatbox asking questions and before you can answer they have gone, would be handy if we could pm them before they have posted to point them in the right direction. also can the size of this be increased--->Ask your questions in the forums. The ChatBox is for small talk, to make it a bit more obvious, cheeres m8 :D

mickyboy
9th March, 2010, 09:38 PM
good point m8 or even a pm automaticaly as soon as they registar to let em no whats what and not to post in the s/b

.: JaCkPoT :.
10th March, 2010, 02:03 AM
We should not really change the appearance of the forum ( size of that bit of text ) away from How the dedicated members like it for members who cant take the time to read any thing. Increasing the size will not help as most of these people who are refering to are desperate for help And will lay a blind eye to that anyway. I think How we have it now is fine. If they ask for help then we should just guide them in the correct direction in the shoutbox, If they are so Impatient that they are gone by the time you can reply then i can only wish them good luck in finding help with that sort of patience anyway.
As for the pm'ing i did not realise you cant pm 0 posters so No comment on that lol

gmb45
10th March, 2010, 05:06 AM
As for the pm'ing i did not realise you cant pm 0 posters so No comment on that lol
as they say jp, your never to old to learn ;) as for pointing them in the right direction we always do, that might be an idea from mickboy a message when registered about no box talk in sb

Devilfish
11th March, 2010, 10:44 PM
Once a member has posted (1 post) they have PM privileges. This is done to stop people registering and spamming members with PMs without even making a post.
_
New members do indeed get a welcome PM explaining a bit about the forum. ;)

gmb45
12th March, 2010, 05:03 AM
Once a member has posted (1 post) they have PM privileges. This is done to stop people registering and spamming members with PMs without even making a post.
_
New members do indeed get a welcome PM explaining a bit about the forum. ;)
yeh i know they do but a lot of em dont read it, or read it and ignore it lol

.: JaCkPoT :.
12th March, 2010, 10:14 AM
yeh i know they do but a lot of em dont read it, or read it and ignore it lol

What else can we do then? If they cant be asked reading it we cant do any thing to force them. Thats How it is i guess.

gmb45
12th March, 2010, 12:00 PM
send a million volts down to there pooter and fry em :D

ianmac
12th March, 2010, 12:22 PM
Some good points here, Would also like to add this if it's possible.

If a newbie that has not made any posts can be locked into just having read only privilages everywhere in the forum, (maybe even the SB), except the "introduction" section.

That way they can browse through the forum but be locked to only making the first post in the "introduction" section & not anywere else, which would stop the (spam/leech 1 posters) posting @ the end of a long thread with comments like:
"Thanks",
"I will try that & report back", or "I am just posting here so I can get a download".

Which is so anoying to anyone that has subscribed to that thread & get an email each time, then when they go back to that thread to see what the reply was, just to find that it was another first time poster making a junk post in the wrong section.

Thanks - Ian

Devilfish
14th March, 2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks Ian, that's not a bad idea. I'll give it some thought and see what other replies it gets.

ianmac
15th March, 2010, 12:04 AM
Thanx m8, just thought that it would help the frustration & save the mods cleaning up after them... lol