PDA

View Full Version : Smart (451) SAM whoopsie

Mjolinor
17th March, 2023, 01:00 PM
Horn started going and heated rear window stuck on.

Clearly water in SAM so a quick dismantle to confirm this.

Much knackered. :bawling:

Seems to me to be too much work resurrecting this, missing pins, tracks and through hole up the spout.

Seems to me that I have a few choices.

I do have a spare SAM in good order so I could swap the chips if I knew which ones to swap.

I have not installed Xentry for maybe five years or more and it seems that more modern copies have vediamo installed that would allow me to virgin this other SAM then install it.

I probably prefer swapping the chips as last time I installed Xentry I reckon it took five years off my life. Total pain to install.

I should add that despite the extensive damage it was only the horn and heated rear window that gave any problems.

figani
17th March, 2023, 02:02 PM

Seems to me to be too much work resurrecting this, missing pins, tracks and through hole up the spout.

I do have a spare SAM in good order so I could swap the chips if I knew which ones to swap.

I have not installed Xentry for maybe five years or more and it seems that more modern copies have vediamo installed that would allow me to virgin this other SAM then install it.

I probably prefer swapping the chips as last time I installed Xentry I reckon it took five years off my life. Total pain to install.

I should add that despite the extensive damage it was only the horn and heated rear window that gave any problems.

swap 2k79 flash and ee...
and all ok...

if not readable, no matter just read used unit and make ee virgin...
adapt it by DAS...

Mjolinor
17th March, 2023, 04:25 PM
I was hoping it wasn't going to be the big one. More than a hundred legs puts me off. :) So sad.

It was enough desoldering just to remove the PCB then the socket where the problems are.

I shall give it a good looking at before I decide to change or programme. So far just one pin missing on the middle plug and one through hole. I am sure more will come to light as the afternoon progresses.

My replacement SAM is frm a 2009 CDI 45 that I broke and the one it may be for is a 2012 CDI 54.

Are the SAMs likely to be the same other than VIN and mileage?

Dimm27
17th March, 2023, 10:01 PM

What is the block number?

There is for this

Mjolinor
18th March, 2023, 02:13 PM
Hmm, I don't think my spare SAM will do. I think that if you do not have paddle shift then the wire form the horn button to the SAM is a black wire and it is only for the horn.

If you do have paddle shift then the "horn on" signal is analogue multiplexed with the paddle signals and so it is a safe bet that if hte paddle shift works and hte horn does not then the fault is not in the wiring.

I have done half a dozen or so naff connections and put it back in. No horn now which I suppose is an improvement on it going off all the time.

It could be the connection in the steering wheel but I am not inclined to take that off at the moment. I am thinking that the best bet is to stick a horn button somewhere and wire it in the traditional way.

Meat-Head
19th March, 2023, 09:20 AM
Send them to premierd. He somewhere posted anout removing 112 pin mcu, read/write and retitted in 5 minutes

Mjolinor
19th March, 2023, 01:24 PM
Send them to premierd. He somewhere posted about removing 112 pin mcu, read/write and retitted in 5 minutes

:eek: My Smartys do not associate with them as is North of the border. Hyperborians should be avoided at all cost.

Anyhoo. Sorted it. Much track repair and a couple of broken pins, good as new.

Thansk for the info but in the end not needed though filed away for next time.

I really should install Vediamo.