PDA

View Full Version : HDMI to Optical sound, and DVI Vid

xant14
13th March, 2010, 07:51 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a converter to split the output of a HDMI source to Optical (or coaxial) sound, plus the vid side too, HDMI (or DVI).

sirlisterofsmeg
13th March, 2010, 09:37 PM
What exactly are you trying to split from from and into
Then i might be able to help a bit

titona
13th March, 2010, 09:54 PM
So he can fx get optical out to his HIFI system, from a unit that only have HDMI.

cactikid
13th March, 2010, 10:16 PM
eBay.ie: HDMI 2 Component/VGA Converter + Optical/Analogue Audio (item 270522406696 end time 29-Mar-10 11:03:19 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.ie/HDMI-2-Component-VGA-Converter-Optical-Analogue-Audio_W0QQitemZ270522406696QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C omputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3efc645728)

xant14
14th March, 2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.
@Cactikid, yeah, thats about what I was looking for.

What it is for is my 'Telly PC' an Acer Revo 3600, with only HDMI and Headphone socket out for sound. I am using this as my media player. I can play files in Stereo thru the headphone to phono conections, but want to play in 5.1 surround sound.

I have a Sony 1200 AV amp, with 2 hdmi in, 1 out, but I cannot get it to see (hear) the sound. So I am wondering if it is only the video it is diverting.

My main telly has DVI input, (an old 32" LCD).

sirlisterofsmeg
14th March, 2010, 08:35 AM
The Sony 1200 AV Amp only acts as an HDMI switcher box.
and will just pass the HDMI image through to your TV.
It will not process any audio in the Amp itself or handle any video upscaling.
The box Cactikid looks like it will do the job for now providing your Amp will support the codecs your Revo outputs.
I would seriously consider buying a new Amp
One that can handle and process at least 7.1 audio through HDMI just to future proof yourself.
What other kit are you running in you system.

xant14
14th March, 2010, 09:41 AM
The Sony 1200 AV Amp only acts as an HDMI switcher box.
and will just pass the HDMI image through to your TV.
It will not process any audio in the Amp itself or handle any video upscaling.
The box Cactikid looks like it will do the job for now providing your Amp will support the codecs your Revo outputs.
I would seriously consider buying a new Amp
One that can handle and process at least 7.1 audio through HDMI just to future proof yourself.
What other kit are you running in you system.

Thanks for that, I did wonder about that. That is so annoying. When I first bought the amp, I was expecting it to upscale everything, ie composite, S-Video and component to the HDMI out. And then discovered it would only upscale s-vid and composite to component out.

One way I found to get the signal to my amp was using my little Samsung 23" telly with HDMI in and Optical output from the telly vision. Only thing is it is too small for the living room.

My system consists of Denon DVD player, with SACD, no Blu-Ray yet, not sure if I will bother even.
Starview cablebox, with optical digital.
Revo PC R3600 media player.
Topfield PVR Freeview box.
Stands Unique Klarity Speakers Front and Centre, AV One rears.
Wharfdale SW250 Subwoofer.
H&B 32" LCD telly.. good in its day, but well aged now, only DVI input, but lots of other connections, and a very slow refresh rate, probably 25ms.

Oh off the cuff, what Amp would you recommend?

sirlisterofsmeg
14th March, 2010, 10:58 AM
Well the starview will be going soon (LOL)
I think the Topfield has optical out and if im a correct also does Component out via the scart.
I would also imagine the Denon will output Component aswell.
Allowing for future purchases I would get something with at least 2 HDMI inputs and 2/3 Component aswell.
Ideally you would want an amp that can output/convert all in puts to a single HDMI out to your TV using a DVI/HDMI Terminal (About ?5).
I am currently running a Yamaha DSP-AX861SE with a 7.1 system.

Yamaha DSP-AX861SE 7.1 AV amplifier,HDMI 1in/2out (http://www.awe-europe.com/product_description.asp?idProduct=481)

This can output anything via HDMI (even a Composite Feed)
This image shows the output & conversions

http://www.awe-europe.com/images/dsp861_videoconversion.jpg

All of the digital audio inputs are fully assignable to any video input.
Although it's not totally future proof as there is no provision for TRUE HD AUDIO. It does a great job with all my kit.
LG 50" Plasma
SKY HD
SONY BLURAY
PS3 60Gig
XBOX 360 ELITE
XTREAMER (with 5TB Etrays Media Server)
4 port QED HDMI SWITCH
4 port hard wired network hub
LOGITECH HARMONY 785 (operates everything apart from the PS3)
MARANTZ RC5200 (In the sideboard because the girlfriend thinks its too big for her hands)

Although i am looking at upgrading and getting an ONKYO 607

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr607/onky-txsr607

Just trying to CONvince my girlfriend that is more important than a new boiler

Although in the past i have found it is much easier to appologise after i buy something than to ask for permission first

i know i do go on a bit
Hope this has helped

Mat

cactikid
14th March, 2010, 12:14 PM
pioneer kuro 50" plasma
pioneer blu ray
onkyo tx-sr875
klipsch 7-1 speakers with 12"sub
sky+hd
sony vaio pc
panasonic vhs
monster home theatre power centre hts1000
netgear eva700 digital entertainer
forgot about the games chair with built in 5-1 lol.

sirlisterofsmeg
14th March, 2010, 12:55 PM
How do you rate the ONKYO
i am seriously tempted
6 HDMI
TRUE HD AUDIO
What kind of heat does it pump out?

cactikid
14th March, 2010, 01:22 PM
posted wrong model it is the tx-sr875,very happy with it 4 hdmi inputs and plenty of ports in back.does run hot so needs plenty ventilation,on hd channels audio stream changes by itself great.
Onkyo TX-SR875 Reviews (http://www.testfreaks.com/a-v-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr875/)
Onkyo TX-SR875 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products (http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR875)
Onkyo TX-SR875 THX Certified Home Theater Receiver with HDMI - Product Profile - Overview and Perspective of the Onkyo TX-SR875 Home Theater Receiver (http://hometheater.about.com/od/avreceiversreviews/p/onkyotxsr875.htm)

xant14
15th March, 2010, 04:51 AM
Some cracking gear you two lads have got, the Xtremer, I looked at that, and I reckon I would have got that as my media player if it had not of been my Revo 'Xmas pressie' from the missus. I have the Revo now, and I am hoping to get it to work. Bit of an Indian prezzzie really, reason being, it had always been agreed we would give my TVIX media box to her parents when I up graded.
So My ?150 Revo only cost me my 750gb TVix box (about ?80 worth second hand), windows 7 OS for the revo ?35 (got a student deal), ?20 remote mouse, 2gb more memory (when I get it) ?38, 1Tb external HD ?60.
lol, ?240 up to now, and all because I wanted to play .MKV's.

Yeah then denon DVD outputs in allsorts, HDMI, Component, and s vid I think, plus coax dig sound, and optical sound.
I know I should have waited for BluRay to come down in price, which it did, but I have a few SACD's that I love in surround, so at the time, it had to be SACD.
The Toppy does indeed output component thru scart, but what a ballache that was to get the lead. Try asking your spotty faced dixons staff for one.. they are more than willing to sell you a scart to composite for top dollar, and convince you it is the right thing.

The Klipsch speakers sound interesting, not a great deal of UK interest in my opinion, but they must be good, the Yanks like them a lot.

I am now looking at upgrading my Amp, and I think Onkyo is my next step, Although at the moment of purchase, anything could take my fancy.
There again, my telly could do with upgrading... jeeez... here we go again.

sirlisterofsmeg
15th March, 2010, 06:11 PM
I managed to find a Scart>Component lead from an independant electrical retailer in Leicester for about ?15.
I used it with my Openmedia box But since i got rid of the box a few months ago it has just sat in my box of redundant leads & cables.
Have really downsized my setup now
My old system filled up 2 racks
LD Player
S-VHS
Tape deck
vinyl player
Freeview PVR
Nokia Dbox
DVD Recorder
SACD Player
Minidisc Recorder
along with most of the kit i have now aswell
It looked like Blackpool illuminations

If you are going to buy a new Amp/TV
i would recommend Richer Sounds
(i have no affiliation to them at all)
They offer the best warranty i have ever seen
For about 10% of the purchase price they give you 5 years on any piece of kit you buy from them & i believe it is transerable if you ever sell the equipment
They will also price match most things even off the net
(Got ?20 off a Harmony 555 for the den last week with a price match)

Does DK have a market place section
I cant be the last one here to get the ONKYO but need to sell my Yammy first
I would be gutted if Xant14 got it before me

cactikid
15th March, 2010, 10:45 PM
how many of you also use surge protection on your systems.

xant14
15th March, 2010, 11:38 PM
I managed to find a Scart>Component lead from an independant electrical retailer in Leicester for about ?15.

Are you from Leicester then? I am in Melton Mowbray, jus curious.

@Cacti, no mate, no surge protection. Something I ought to think about? I would need at least a couple or a few of them. I have just chiseled out my wall now at the back of telly for a rake of sockets. All protected by just the MCB's and an Earth leakage switch, fast, but dunno if its faster than a surge.

I put the new Amp to the missus, told her how shit my Sony is, coz it doesn't process the HDMI sound, and she agreed! we need a new amp!...
Something funny going on, bet she's shagging GMB45 or somat!

Truth tho, the amp aint my immediate purchase, got a load of stuff to fork out in the next few weeks. So it is on the back burner for a week or two.

cactikid
16th March, 2010, 12:02 AM
whats that saying ,shit happens ,everything needs protection from coaxial cables,sat cables,phone line,and dirty power,why spend mega bucks and use old non shielded cables also.
Monster Home Theater PowerCenter HTS1000: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

sirlisterofsmeg
16th March, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yup
I am using a Belkin 8 way surge protector.
Like a fool i got it from Maplin because i needed one there and then.
Then found out my brother had a spare one after i had ripped the box to pieces trying to open it.
I also have 2 10 way towers with a master power switch on top.
i used one in my office before i downsized all my PC stuff
& 1 i use in my den.
I really should use the spare one for my server/comms cabinet but i dont think it will fit in the space.
Just bought one of those bye bye stand by master plugs to try and reduce our electricity consumption.
But that will mean rewiring the system again as the SKY HD has to be left on all the time for recording.
Plus i dont know how my ethernet hub will react to being turned on & off all the time.
Another weekend on my hands & knees then.

Just on a side note XANT14
I take it that is what you drive.

xant14
16th March, 2010, 08:36 PM
xantia, yeah, many moons ago, stuck with the name now. Had three of them, love them to bits, especially the gorgeous suspension. Got a Laguna now, and I feel every bump.

sirlisterofsmeg
16th March, 2010, 08:45 PM
I had one as well (Now my dad has it to go with his other 2)
Suspension was great i agree
Now got a megane convertible and i know what you mean about all the bumps
I even took it into a mechanic soon after i got it thinking the suspension was shagged.
Apparently soft tops always have stiffer springs anyway.
As soon as the sun comes out ( IF ) it should be worth it though.
Just need to sort out a slight misfire it's acquired.

xant14
16th March, 2010, 09:06 PM
Did you ever put new spheres on the Xantia?
One of my joys was after a new set was just put on. The transformation from a shagged set to a new set is marvellous. You dont tend to notice it as the spheres deteriorate slowly, but the new uns turn it into a floating carpet.
I ~~~~ed mine as soon as bought my first one, I was driving at all speeds and going up and down with the suspension like a pimped Caddy. Only when I got home and read the hand book, that you shouldn't do that.
I am looking at buying a C5 next, would like a C6 (hired one in Spain.. magic!), but a bit thirsty with the 2.7L Diesel.

lol, ~~~~ me.. we gone off at a tangent here... this thread will be getting moved to Auto section.

cactikid
16th March, 2010, 09:26 PM
no scrapyard thread only lol.

sirlisterofsmeg
16th March, 2010, 09:37 PM
SINCLAIR C5?????
LOL

xant14
20th March, 2010, 03:12 PM
whats that saying ,shit happens ,everything needs protection from coaxial cables,sat cables,phone line,and dirty power,why spend mega bucks and use old non shielded cables also.
Monster Home Theater PowerCenter HTS1000: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Home-Theater-PowerCenter-HTS1000/dp/B000EDPN1E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268693787&sr=8-5#moreAboutThisProduct)

?149!! Expensive job that, one here at ?11 Belkin 8-Socket Surgepro Suppressor 2M CABLE 1400JLS 100K - STS181UK2MTLSHB- microdirect.co.uk (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/44748/?source=eshot19Mar10)

cactikid
20th March, 2010, 04:17 PM
does not clean up dirty power and no protection for coaxial cables.wait till you get a lightning strike and see.