PDA

View Full Version : signal in DB's

vrlika
29th October, 2008, 09:49 PM
I have VM samsung 2110c connected via konig cable splitter and when I go into settings then signal strenght it shows between 35-43 db on various channels .
Is that good enough? Whats that equivalent in percentages ?

Devilfish
29th October, 2008, 10:41 PM
The strength is not the most important, it's the quality level that's important. I think those values are fine though. Is there an SNR reading anywhere?

vrlika
30th October, 2008, 04:59 PM
SNR is 35 db - 43 db and the AGC signal level is 51-52 depending on which channel its on.Still this is coming trough the konig 2 way splliter.
thanx

Dazzonamission
31st October, 2008, 01:02 PM
SNR isn't to bad could be with doing slightly lower.
Signal should be better than that though i would have thought, what's the set up how many boxes / modems do you have ?
And are you getting this information off the diagnostics screen.

vrlika
31st October, 2008, 08:10 PM
yes of the diagnostics menu. straight from the wall into the 2way konig splittter thats it one cable inti vm samsung the other will go into the box when i get .

Dazzonamission
1st November, 2008, 01:31 PM
All you can do is try it when it arrives,the signals on the Samsung do not sound very promising though as i would expect you to have a higher signal than that ,can you tell me if your isolator the small white box on the wall where the cable feed comes out of has one or two outputs,sometimes the older ones have two.... with TV & FM on them.
Problem is these are older QAM isolaters for analogue sevices.

vrlika
1st November, 2008, 02:38 PM
one output.

Dazzonamission
1st November, 2008, 06:06 PM
Nice one, well that's all good are you in a ex NTL area beacuse if so you may have been moved down the tap bank to a more attenuated signal.
What's the situation with your Samsung does it lock on with no problems and do you get a steady return path ?
I would just connect up once you get your box and see if you bring all the frequencies in.
Best of Luck.

vrlika
1st November, 2008, 08:19 PM
samsung is locking on well and return path light is allways on when box is turned on.
will have to wait till monday to see what "the box" does.
regards.

oscar
9th March, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hi guys new here but have a question, I currently run a couple of pvr5000's one through normal cable inlet, one through broadband inlet. i have a friend who lives in an area with only cable internet coverage, no tv coverage yet. would he be able to run a box from the internet link?