PDA

View Full Version : Which should i buy

vinay88
8th April, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys!,

I am planning to run my own streaming dreambox server.
And im looking for some advice...

Which dreambox should i buy?..

( i am a total neewbie )

aftermath
8th April, 2008, 01:11 PM
sat or cable mate ?

i would opt for a DM500s or DM500c , depend if you going sat or cable m8 ? ive used the 500c on my own network streaming to other PC`s in the house m8, and the quality is excellent, but beware you may not be able to stream a few channels though for some strange reason ( its only 3 or 4 ) on mine i cant stream.

If your going to stream online then you will need to get a Video capture card , unless your Graphics card supports it.

ive heard some good reports about the DM600 as well, but the 500 will do the same job and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

vinay88
8th April, 2008, 02:26 PM
Thank you for your fast reply.

I have a satelite,lnb and motor. Also a server and capture card and fast internet upload)
So i gues i will need the satelite version.

What i want to do :

I want to receive indian channels on my dreambox ( legal, i am willing to pay for it) and stream them online.

My first question is : is that legal to do?

I saw this website: www.idesitv.com and i think the used the same method..
what do you think?

My second question is : what would you advice me to buy ?

Thank you very much for your support

aftermath
8th April, 2008, 02:40 PM
If your paying for the stuff you want to stream, and you are in another place and log on to watch the channels, then i dont see a problem m8, but if you are wanting to stream pay stuff online for others to watch then i am sure its illegal m8,. ( sure if i am wrong here someone will put me right. ).

I would get a 500s if i was you mate, its a ton cheaper than the 600s

Devilfish
8th April, 2008, 03:16 PM
If it's solely for streaming, I would go for the DM600 because it has an s-video connection and the DM500 doesn't. The DM500 only has scart and composite video which isn't the best option in any situation.

Granted the 600 is more expensive, ?200 compared to ?90 for a DM500s, but it's a far better receiver and can house a 2.5" hdd.

Streaming over the internet for others to view is certainly illegal, no doubt about that. Doesn't matter if you offer the service for free.