PDA

View Full Version : gemini kills clones- true??

kirit
30th October, 2008, 05:46 PM
apparently there was an image made by gemini which kills all clones a while ago- im not sure about this but it has gotten me worried- im planning on buying a DB 600pvr sat box in a fortnight and i want to be sure that im not buying a clone.

ive asked for gemini image to be flashed on the box and im hoping it will be ok. but is there anything i should know about this story- was it just a rumour and is there still cause for concern.

people share your views, stories, opinions

cheers

cgscott
30th October, 2008, 05:50 PM
Dont touch the gemini images or else you'll be jtaging in no time.

I did upload a gemini image but reflashed after i tested it. The Bomb is on a timer.

Look at the jtag section for some stories on what happens.

rickets
30th October, 2008, 06:45 PM
If its a genuine box you should be ok (ie bought from dream). The image looks at your mac address I believe and if it doesnt like it it removes your boot loader.

If I paid that much money for a nice shiny 600 I would not let gemini anywhere near it on the off chance...

Devilfish
30th October, 2008, 07:35 PM
If the seller is listed here (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/english/dealer_EU.php) then they sell genuine dreamboxes, not clones.

And Gemini should be ok on them. But there are other images available if you don't want to take the chance....Nabilosat, Darkstar, PLi, CLi, etc.

kirit
30th October, 2008, 08:00 PM
im stressing now- i found a delaer via linuxsat he seems a sound bloke always spoken on msn to him and has offered to do me a DB600 pvr for ?195 straight cash- flashed with epg and ccam with a 120gb hdd installed

do u guys reckon its a clone- he says it has a hologram, he now says he can put a gemini image on it but initially was going to do a nabilosat.

ive told him i dont want a clone and dont do clones but im now worried- at that price- is it too good to be true?

your opinions are appreciated

portbhoy
30th October, 2008, 09:30 PM
RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES :D The questions will never end, it will be the worlds longest thread. Hi Kirit, bye Kirit :ciao:

kirit
31st October, 2008, 12:05 AM
oh dear the cable closet boys have arrived ha ha ha very funny

Curious123
31st October, 2008, 01:06 AM
I have an original Dm600 and that cost me ?189 from one of the dealers listed DF's link without a hard drive so I would say that the one being offered to you is a clone. I also have a clone dm600 and that works just as well as the original so i wouldn't worry as long as you aware of what you are buying.

Elric
31st October, 2008, 03:04 AM
If its a genuine box you should be ok (ie bought from dream). The image looks at your mac address I believe and if it doesnt like it it removes your boot loader.

If I paid that much money for a nice shiny 600 I would not let gemini anywhere near it on the off chance...

is they a way to change to change the mac on the box like what you
can do with a nic card mac

Curious123
31st October, 2008, 11:03 AM
is they a way to change to change the mac on the box like what you
can do with a nic card mac

There are a number of program available that can change the mac on most boxes but if I knew my box was a clone than I still wouldn't risk my box with a Gemini image after changing the mac. I am sure that the Gemini image makers would have got wise to the mac changing workaround.

kirit
31st October, 2008, 03:18 PM
he says the box has a hologram at the bottom of it? and denies that its a clone?

Curious123
31st October, 2008, 04:12 PM
If I remeber correctly the Chinese dealers managed to copy the hologram not too long ago but after a while they stopped bothering as people were happy to buy the clones with or without a holgram. Dream only sell through their dealership so if you have any doubts about the claims just check on their web page to see if he is on their authorised list of dealers.

alunfennell
10th November, 2008, 08:25 PM
h**p://de.youtube.com/watch?v=FXom85KSc60

Handy Film Explaining what to look out for....

Gemini and DMM's Attacks on Consumers
For those of you who slept through this, Gemini put a MAC address Harvesting attack, in their v4.30 Image to deny Clones access to "Blue panel" features. Then in V4.31 after claiming it was free from attack, triggered a bomb to disabled units, Clone and Non-Clone alike, leaving the unit inoperable with the screen message "Warning - Clone Box Detected - Contact Your Dealer - Adios Amego!"
Though, who would want to use Gemini's image after they learn these facts, but, all Gemini images prior to v4.30, are safe to use. Dreambox has changed their head.ko file, and is planing to move it into the CVS repository soon. The bomb resides in this new head.ko file, Gemini just delivered and triggered it.
All other images writers products that pull from CVS, are currently safe. It's questionable if they will use the new file, or, continue with the current head.ko file, in their new images, it's up to the image writers discretion. All Clone and Non-Clone users, need to be aware of these facts, and watch for these change to occur.

My Editorial:
This issue is about more than a few clone boxes and bombs in images. It serves to erode consumer confidence in embedded Linux technology being able to survive and grow in what is suppose to be a free market economy. It about how a manufacture uses 3rd world sweatshop labor to maximize profit, while it denies their own countrymen the ability to maintain their standard of living. It's about how to bilk the consumer with artificially high prices for units that were produced for fractions of the cost of normally high quality consumer goods. And it's about creating a product demand, then denying access by consumers to legally purchase that product, in a emerging market, to further drive up profits.
Let the court of public opinion weigh these possibilities, before using Gemini or purchasing a Dreambox.

kirit
10th November, 2008, 08:44 PM
i just puchased a DB 600pvr- looks fine on the outside, also has hologram below box, dealer assured me he never dealt in clones.

unscrewed the box this morning- and its clearly marked on the tuner-
Made in China

yet worked fine all weekend

Curious123
10th November, 2008, 09:10 PM
I have a clone dm600pvr-S from China been working fine since I brought it a month ago. I also have a genuine dm600pvr-C visibly and physically they both look the same and work the same except one is half the price of ther box. Guess you can't believe everything the dealers tell you.

alunfennell
11th November, 2008, 05:32 PM
Made in China now a days does not mean crap like it used to, they make stuff with a high level of quality unlike 10 years ago.