PDA

View Full Version : can you run xp of a dongle

leeunwin
18th March, 2010, 08:37 PM
is there anyway to get windows xp to run of a usb dongle

i dont currently have a hard drive in my laptop and was thinking this??

dasteph
18th March, 2010, 08:53 PM
the following link will tell you how but it depends if you can change the boot order in the bios.

SolutionBase: Boot Windows XP from a USB flash drive (http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5928902.html)

opsmonkey
19th March, 2010, 06:47 PM
if you mean can you install it to a pen drive then no you cant.. you need an internal HDD to install it on

Dreamer
21st March, 2010, 03:10 AM
I think you can install it to a pen drive now.. but it is a rather long and involved proccess and not always succsessful. it depends on your computer specs basically.
generally usb drives/ pen drives are only used for troubleshooting and not as a permanant basis. you can install a mobile version of xp which you can have on a pen/usb drive and take it from computer to computer with your own files and op system ready to go. but need setting up for each individual computer and obviously doesn'nt hold a lot of data apart from the operaing system

You would be cheaper buying a decent sized internal drive to replace your (non present) one. than using a large sized usb drive and spendin g 3 days trying to make your usb pen drive bootable and compatible with your computer