PDA

View Full Version : Scart socket hum

bigman2
31st October, 2008, 05:58 PM
I was using my openmedia box via the wire that came with it but today deceided to wire it up using a scart lead. However when I switched to the relevant AV channel on the television I could not hear anything apart from a strong electrical hum.

I switched back to the wires with the box and plugged them into a scart socket and it worked fine. I have tried a different scart lead but it made no difference.

Is this a known problem ? or is there some setting I need to change ?

Besides this problem it is a great little box.

Thanks in advance

portbhoy
31st October, 2008, 06:57 PM
It is a great wee box but it is also very cheaply made I know one that smoke started to pour out of it :bandit: I would return it as faulty theres obviously something not right in there!

.: JaCkPoT :.
1st November, 2008, 02:43 AM
Could be one of the audio input pins which are damaged.
Get a audio video cable and on one end put a scart adaptor. Put the scart in the receiver and the wire end in the tv. Then do it vice versa. Check the if the combination equates to a hum or not and take a note. This will narrow the prob down.

psats
2nd November, 2008, 01:59 PM
try useing a NONE fully wired scart {one way}
plus you can get that hum if you not got the suppressor on the incomeing feed

2nd November, 2008, 02:03 PM
What one of them?

portbhoy
2nd November, 2008, 02:54 PM
mee maw mee maw mee maw, thats a sound Mept's familiar with :bandit:

2nd November, 2008, 04:07 PM
mee maw mee maw mee maw, thats a sound Mept's familiar with :bandit:

I dont know about you but our fire vans dont sound like that. lol
Do these catch fire that easily? Its better to just set 10 tenners alight

portbhoy
2nd November, 2008, 04:16 PM
Do they not, it used to be ne naw ne naw, them wooo, wooo, wooo, wooo but now it's me maw, me maw. It's the only one I've heard of thats went on fire when Mept opened it she said it was quite messy in there with loads of the red stuff they sually cover the screw heads in :s:

2nd November, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hopefully the scart isnt damaged. Scart is meant to be higher quality.

bigman2
2nd November, 2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys and to max who offered to replace the box.

I had another play with it using another television and used a cheap scart lead with flat ribbon and the problem appears to have vanished. I think the fancy scart leads I was using may be a bit connector heavy and may not have been making proper contact with the female scarts on the television or openmedia box. Plugged it all back into the original television and no audible hum yet.

I guess no more fancy heavy scart leads with gold plated connectors from now on.

portbhoy
2nd November, 2008, 06:50 PM
Glad your sorted mate, just for the record my box works fine and I'm very happy with it for the money it's a solid buy ;)

bog1
10th November, 2008, 01:02 AM
o.o im on my 2nd box and i got the hum too o.o

bog1
10th November, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys and to max who offered to replace the box.

I had another play with it using another television and used a cheap scart lead with flat ribbon and the problem appears to have vanished. I think the fancy scart leads I was using may be a bit connector heavy and may not have been making proper contact with the female scarts on the television or openmedia box. Plugged it all back into the original television and no audible hum yet.

I guess no more fancy heavy scart leads with gold plated connectors from now on.
can you tell me ware you got this ie scart lead ribon as iv side im on the 2nd box and got the humm too allso im geting gosting from the menu too =( i can get hold of max ther phone is nother anserd my be fult on the line

max_gee
15th November, 2008, 01:15 AM
im not always able to answer the phone but email is best way to get hold of me

bigman2
15th November, 2008, 09:23 AM
Try ebay and search for flat ribbon scart.

bog1
16th November, 2008, 09:54 PM
iv got a tv reperman comeing on tuesday to look at the tv its lcd and on the phone he side it sounds like a fultty panel iv emaild max and told him this i sick to what iv side befor he gives the best suport of aney shop iv ever done bussens with and thanks for all your help max too

bog1
16th November, 2008, 09:56 PM
:wink:iv got a tv reperman comeing on tuesday to look at the tv its lcd and on the phone he side it sounds like a fultty panel iv emaild max and told him this i sick to what iv side befor he gives the best suport of aney shop iv ever done bussens with and thanks for all your help max too:wink: