PDA

View Full Version : Mini R56 CAS and DME VIN change

YannickF
7th July, 2023, 10:25 PM
Hello

For some reasons (disconnected coil ground wire) I had to change DME, CAS and DSC modules in my 2011 Mini Cooper (1.6).

Vehicle started with donor DME, donor CAS and donor keys, but I still had problem with DSC. I read it was because of unconsistent VIN in the vehicle (but I'm now convinced it's because of an coding error in new modules)
So, with an R270 EEPROM programmer, I changed VIN in donor CAS (with its checksum) and by the way I also reset the odometer.
I also used WinKFP to flash/update DME and change his VIN.

But now, the engine starts but stay on idle. (OBD2 indicate anti-tampering protection level 1)

In CAS, the long VIN seems OK, but the short VIN is 0000000.
I can't find a way to change the short VIN : WinKFP can't flash the CAS, and NCSexpert doesn't change anything.

What can I do to solve this problem ?
Thanks !

kiszka
8th July, 2023, 08:12 PM
Hello

For some reasons (disconnected coil ground wire) I had to change DME, CAS and DSC modules in my 2011 Mini Cooper (1.6).

Vehicle started with donor DME, donor CAS and donor keys, but I still had problem with DSC. I read it was because of unconsistent VIN in the vehicle (but I'm now convinced it's because of an coding error in new modules)
So, with an R270 EEPROM programmer, I changed VIN in donor CAS (with its checksum) and by the way I also reset the odometer.
I also used WinKFP to flash/update DME and change his VIN.

But now, the engine starts but stay on idle. (OBD2 indicate anti-tampering protection level 1)

In CAS, the long VIN seems OK, but the short VIN is 0000000.
I can't find a way to change the short VIN : WinKFP can't flash the CAS, and NCSexpert doesn't change anything.

What can I do to solve this problem ?
Thanks !
did you do eeprom dump before changing vin in cas

tomvleeuwen
8th July, 2023, 09:46 PM
Problem is that the Cooper has FSC which enable its power (engine is the same as One and One Minimalism)
This FSC is locked to the VIN.

If you're luckey, you can request the FSC at the dealer and program it in the DME, but this is only possible if current DME is from an older vehicle (or from a One)
If your DME is from a Cooper that is newer, it's almost impossible to get it working with your VIN (except cloning off coarse).
You can always program the One Minimalist software, but it has less power.

YannickF
9th July, 2023, 09:10 AM
did you do eeprom dump before changing vin in cas

Yes, I have a backup of Flash and EEPROM of the CAS.

Do you think I need to use the backup and reconfigure DME with the donor VIN ?

tomvleeuwen
9th July, 2023, 05:32 PM
Any particular reason not to clone the original ECU to the donor and install the original CAS again? At least you can then order new keys at the dealer again.

YannickF
9th July, 2023, 05:51 PM
The original DME is totally dead..... I've tried to read it with a KTAG clone : not possible.

YannickF
10th July, 2023, 08:34 PM
Will it be functionnal to restore the dump of the CAS, program DME (winkfp) with its original donor VIN (I think I made an update with WinKFP).
And, in order to not have DSC error, do I need to code DSC with donor VIN too ?

tomvleeuwen
11th July, 2023, 09:35 PM
If you use the donor VIN in CAS and DME, it will work as long as it is from more or less the same year.

Probably you need to align the steering angle sensor to ensure that there are no DSC errors.

But more importantly, you need to read the Vehicle Order (FA) from the original CAS and write it in the donor CAS, otherwise it can be very hard to code the DSC correctly. Factory i-level can also be important, especially since there are a few modifications to the way the DSC operates, so make sure you copy that from the original CAS as well before coding the DSC.

Or just install your old DSC.

YannickF
12th July, 2023, 01:06 PM
Old DSC is "dead" : as soon as I plug it the PT-CAN bus is not working.....

CAS was correctly coded with FA

the problem is that now DME is in anti-tampering mode, probably because I changed VIN in CAS EEprom....

tomvleeuwen
13th July, 2023, 06:42 AM
I was just explaing what other steps are involved after you change the VIN back to the donor.
Either you change the VIN back or you find a way to install the correct FSC files.

I often see that the wrong FA is used (e.g. from the donor CAS), but if you are sure that it is correct including factory i-level then that's fine.

YannickF
13th July, 2023, 08:48 AM
Actually FA was wrong, I changed VIN because I was told it was explaining the DSC error (but now I think bad FA was the cause)
Then I put correct FA and correct in CAS. But I have now the FSC problem.
Will try to put back donor VIN and I'll see !

For i-level, how is it possible to change it ?

YannickF
13th July, 2023, 06:28 PM
I was just explaing what other steps are involved after you change the VIN back to the donor.
Either you change the VIN back or you find a way to install the correct FSC files.

I often see that the wrong FA is used (e.g. from the donor CAS), but if you are sure that it is correct including factory i-level then that's fine.

Before trying to revert to original donor VIN, I have just obtained the FSC files from BMW (they didn't know what was a FSC file)
Actually it's a Zip file with 4 files inside : one is xml, one is .der and two are .fsc)

I have no idea how to use them !
Can someone help me ?

tomvleeuwen
13th July, 2023, 08:49 PM
There are two options, ISTA/P and Dr. Gini. (FSTool is an option too, but that's even more complicated)

Once ISTA/P works, it will automatically ask for a USB drive with the 4 files on it.

I always use an old version of Dr. Gini(B014) instead of ISTA/P, since it is much quicker and gives you the ability to check the old FSC.
With Dr. Gini, after identifying the car, you can select "FSC E-Series" tab, start the server, and select the correct ECU address (12) and application ID (76). Then you read the original VIN and FSC.
If your VIN is newer, you can then update the VIN and FSC to the correct one. Select FSC file <VIN>_00760001.fsc and update it.

I don't know what happens if you try to update the FSC with an older one (both with ISTA/P and Dr. Gini), I just know it will not work.
It might just refuse it but it might also invalidate the original donor one, meaning that you have to fix it using BDM.

When using ISTA/P, I think it will automatically read the I-level from the FRM but I'm not sure. You can always use Tool32 and use i_stufe_lesen and i_stufe_schreiben with the correct .prg opened.

YannickF
15th July, 2023, 06:38 PM
I did not try to use FSC : I just came back to donor VIN in CAS and DME ... and now the engine runs very well.....
I also needed to code donor VIN to DSC to avoir numerous error lights on dashboard.

There are still errors concerning mileage and communication between ECUs but they are not significant.