PDA

View Full Version : mobile internet abroad

terrier
22nd March, 2010, 03:51 PM
Im asking on behalf of my parents. Theyve recently bought a house in france--a renovation job..Because they only go over for 4 weeks at a time roughly 3 times a year then they dont think its viable to get a french phone line to get broadband (or french equivalent)..My mum has a wifi laptop and was wondering how she would be able to access her emails whilst over there..She recently bought an Orange PAYG dongle (as she knows she can get an orange reception in the french house) as she thought shed be able to use it whilst shes over there..BUT, she cant..Does anyone have any ideas other than them going to the nearest wireless cafe and doing it that way, cos at the moment ive to check her emails whilst shes in france and then text her anything of importance which isnt very practical. cheers for any advice

manhatten
22nd March, 2010, 10:41 PM
You need to be very carefull using mobile broadband abroad,a university student using his Orang dongle in france ended up with a huge bill of ?8000 its been in the press,

man

dasteph
23rd March, 2010, 12:24 AM
check french networks for mobile broadband or get a french sim for the dongle that way she will not pay roaming charges.

PETERG
23rd March, 2010, 11:28 PM
check french networks for mobile broadband or get a french sim for the dongle that way she will not pay roaming charges.

Off to Canada in a couple of weeks, I have a 3 dongle, can I get a canadian sim card & put it in, or does the dongle have to be unlocked????

dasteph
24th March, 2010, 10:50 AM
Off to Canada in a couple of weeks, I have a 3 dongle, can I get a canadian sim card & put it in, or does the dongle have to be unlocked????

yes the dongle will have to be unlocked and if the dongle will work on the canadian networks, if you are going for any length of time it would be better to check the canadian networks for mobile broadband.