PDA

View Full Version : wireless sharing with neighbour

senga
26th March, 2010, 09:29 PM
My neighbour next door does not have a telephone line and has asked me if he could use my wireless internet connection through in his house. He assures me that neither he or I, can monitor or intercept what each of us is doing and he seems nice. Is there any risk in this? he says that it is just for light surfing and emails and not major downloading that will use up my allowance per month. For him to use it I will have to give him a 26 set of numbers for him to access... is it true what he says that he can`t access my computer and me his? He has offered to pay a bit towards my connection.
Greatful for help again on this.

Senga:girl:

cgscott
26th March, 2010, 09:40 PM
You can set the password for access to your internet via your router.

He wont be able to access your computer as long as you use strict network rules.

Up to you how you set it up. You can also restrict his IP address from accessing certain areas of the web. Or even set time restrictions on when he can use it etc.

Lots of options.

Bulld0g
26th March, 2010, 09:50 PM
As above, all done in your router. Why doesn't he get a phone line ? How well do you know him ? "He seems nice" So he's basically a stranger who wants to use your internet. i'd steer clear if i were you m8.

joearnold24
26th March, 2010, 09:55 PM
Got to admit i agree with Bulldog.. You dont seem like the type of guy that knows a great deal about networking so let me just tell you what I have set up through my wireless network. My xbox is connected to share pictures, movies and music from both my computer and my laptop and certain folders are shared to allow me transfer files with ease between two computers. I can also see the network IP and check other computers ID as well as sharing the printer. I know its hard to say no to people when they come across to you all nice but I would say no this time. If you really cant look up turning off file sharing and get yourself a decent firewall set up. Then atleast you know he deffinetly cant check your stuff :)..

tornado
26th March, 2010, 10:00 PM
that would be all u would need he download kid ~~~~ and the police would come to u and by time u sort it out your have a name for it i wouldnt do it tellhim to buy a dongle if he only wants to read emails etc

senga
29th March, 2010, 08:04 PM
Well that`s it then... the answer is no!...far too much risk, and it does not even have to be him that downloads something very bad. Thanks very much to all of you, and by the way I am not a bloke! and yes I don`t know anything much about networking... but I now know how to get into my router and mac addresses etc.

Thanks sincerely

Senga:girl:

jasbo7
29th March, 2010, 08:09 PM
steer clear m8...looks like he wants into something else if you know what i mean...nudge nudge

senga
30th March, 2010, 07:15 PM
Can`t imagine what you could possibly mean!

kermitthefrog
6th April, 2010, 08:59 PM
be carefull mate he could download music,movies and illiegal ~~~~......and guess whos door would be getting kicked in at 5am with a arrest warrant ! :banghead:

satseeker
7th April, 2010, 11:37 PM
Your neighbour does not need a telephone line to access internet & e-mail. If he has no landline, all he has to do is to sign up for a mobile broadband package that in most cases even includes a free USB modem stick to plug into his PC or laptop see link -
Top 10 Broadband » Cheapest Mobile Broadband - 150+ Deals & Offers - Mobile Broadband Comparison. Dongles, Mobile Internet & Laptops with Broadband Embedded or Built In (http://top10.com/broadband/mobile_broadband/)

tornado
8th April, 2010, 11:02 AM
i think she has got the point by now

iraqi78
4th May, 2010, 10:00 AM
D.T.A.O....

mak21
24th June, 2010, 11:54 AM
no is easy answer , how ever, I just like to mention that you always can use some proxy software at your PC, so u can force him to go through your own filter rules and also have log with all his activities...just in case! :-)

again u should have good security measures on ur network so he can't hack into ur PC and bypass ur rules

davvo
26th June, 2010, 03:32 PM
if Your neighbour was to boot his pc with a Linux backtrack disc

then log in to your router with the key you gave him

he can then access your pc and do what ever he wants with it

obie
26th June, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hi.

As most replies .......... do not share your access. He/they can get mobile broadband and do what they want with it.

Good luck

obie

sandancer
18th July, 2010, 08:12 AM
My neighbour next door does not have a telephone line and has asked me if he could use my wireless internet connection through in his house. He assures me that neither he or I, can monitor or intercept what each of us is doing and he seems nice. Is there any risk in this? he says that it is just for light surfing and emails and not major downloading that will use up my allowance per month. For him to use it I will have to give him a 26 set of numbers for him to access... is it true what he says that he can`t access my computer and me his? He has offered to pay a bit towards my connection.
Greatful for help again on this.

Senga:girl: just tell him to get a dongle about ?10 a month does the job as good as broadband same as ive done .cancelled my subscription now just have dongle go anywhere with it any time magic plug and go thats it .dont feel sorry to say no its his problem not yoursgood luck senga:musicus:

starsky
13th August, 2010, 01:36 PM
If he has access to your wireless network he can intercept your stuff, for doing that sniffing he must bee pretty good with computer and know what he's doing

nraimo
13th August, 2010, 03:42 PM
I'd persoanly not allow him, if he has a decent level of brains he'd only need to packet sniff your connection and could get EVERYTHING you see on his screen. THe Only way to fully protect your self is setting up a network to auth all connections that way you can restrict his access from other computers on the network

Furax
14th August, 2010, 01:38 AM
The method i would use is to get another router and split the networks in a DMZ. Will keep your connection separate from his.

FON (http://www.fon.com/en/)

do a router that has a private network and a public network, if you were to buy one then just give him the details for the public one.

I think most of their routers support DDWRT firmware too, ive got one of the orginal la foneras running DD-WRT acting as a wireless bridge. Cool bit of kit for the money!

twittowoo
18th September, 2010, 01:38 AM
i share my wifi with a house 100/120mter down the road hade to use 2x netgear access point and one cheep 9dbm antt from fleebay lol and a netgear antt at my end been working fine for 2year now only used the home units total cost was ?220 it a lot but has access to my share hd drive to. Any how as a naighour the best way is a cable thro the wall in a pvc pipe and one access point only if thay want wifi in all the house