PDA

View Full Version : ps3 spinning disk but wont read them

leeunwin
28th March, 2010, 10:09 AM
hiya peeops my ps3 is spinning the disk but will not play them i bought it like this as factory seal was still intact som hadnt been messed with i thought it may just need laser cleaning so ive cleaned it but no joy.

ive heard something where when you do a complete format via the menu where you hold power button untill 2 beebs ect ect..

that this can sometimes sort it out ive tried this and it said something about hard drive being currupt but it did rebuilt drive ect..

ive heard that you sometimes have to do this a few times for it to work is this true????

ps thanks in advance

leeunwin
28th March, 2010, 02:24 PM
73 views not 1 reply lol

can i update render the blue ray drive working if so wil a new hard drive fix this as i no you cant downgrade firmware ect..

thinking of a new hard drive?

broonie35
28th March, 2010, 02:41 PM
Hey just joined, this is my first post!

If I were you I would try using a different hard drive, if that does not solve the problem I think it may be a laser problem, if its still in warranty send it back. If not its around ?80-?100 for a new drive.

andy1weir
28th March, 2010, 04:44 PM
90% sure it would be your laser has gone bust m8, if your techy minded then its easy enough to change yourself, youll pick one up on ebay for around $40 just make sure you get the right model no.

leeunwin
29th March, 2010, 04:57 PM
right ive cleaned laser ive connected it back up and left case of drive so can see disk when i insert it the disk spins then stops then spins then stops 4 times it does this then obviously doesnt work is it laser are is it all blue ray drive itself

andy1weir
29th March, 2010, 05:44 PM
well as its spinning the disc id say deffo laser, if whole drive was ~~~~ed then it wouldnt spin discs, possibly wouldnt even accept or eject them

leeunwin
29th March, 2010, 07:25 PM
cheers mate yes thats what i was thinking surely if its spinning disk even if it isnt doing it for long goto be te laser and not the drive itself

leeunwin
29th March, 2010, 07:27 PM
ps how do i go about finding the correct laser for my ps3 its a 40 gig older type not the slim ones?

andy1weir
2nd April, 2010, 01:29 PM
you would have to take out the laser and look for the number on the side, kes-400a for example, but if you look on ebay most listing tell you how to identify which one you would need and if not sure just email a seller and ask them if their laser would be compatible waith your ps3 system

grantbentley
3rd April, 2010, 04:05 PM
I think it means your blueray driver is broke my first ps3 done this

soul65
25th April, 2010, 06:20 PM
Yes Sounds like your lazer when you have found model number you could buy from ebay about ?40.There are plenty of links on youtube showing how to replace its quite simple i did mine last week