PDA

View Full Version : linux black box 500c

dabba
4th November, 2008, 01:56 PM
How does the linux black box 500s fair against the Dream box?

is it as good as the dream box or have any problems , firmware etc

thanks

delboy13
4th November, 2008, 01:59 PM
as far as i am aware the internals are the same on both boxes just a different cover

Devilfish
4th November, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yip...exactly the same electronics. Think of it as a dm500 in disguise. ;)

All PC apps for the dreambox work on the linux blackbox.

.: JaCkPoT :.
4th November, 2008, 05:22 PM
Isnt this a cable receiver not sat?

alunfennell
4th November, 2008, 09:24 PM
There are three models DBV-T DVB-C & DVB-SD

Will it take the Gemini Image's ? or will you make a door stop the this receiver, I would be interested in playing with the Black box 500s as long as it not like a Eagle Linux Box

thered
4th November, 2008, 09:36 PM
gemini 4. something cooks them apparantly

bigman2
4th November, 2008, 09:49 PM
There are three models DBV-T DVB-C & DVB-SD

Will it take the Gemini Image's ? or will you make a door stop the this receiver, I would be interested in playing with the Black box 500s as long as it not like a Eagle Linux Box

What wrong with the eagle box ? Its got a good following on a few other forums.

alunfennell
4th November, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah and it was to late for thousands before the warning came out about using Gemini 4 on Dreambox clones.

alunfennell
4th November, 2008, 10:04 PM
What wrong with the eagle box ? Its got a good following on a few other forums.

Im not say there a bad machine but the MAC Addresses that are supposed to be one of a kind with the EAGLE receiver and other clone receivers you will usualy find multiple of the same MAC Addresses which makes it much harder to connect to cs sites or servers, so when you sell thousands of cheap receivers with the same MAC Addresses all across Europe then you will see a problem.

As a stand alone receiver Its supposed to be very good

A registered Mac address on a product in production will cost between 15-30 Pounds so you can tell if a receiver is 80 Pounds the MAC Address is not registered.

dabba
4th November, 2008, 10:05 PM
Isnt this a cable receiver not sat?

sorry my error it should read linux black box 500 S

and my concern is that it will be fried by certain firmware.....

bigman2
4th November, 2008, 10:21 PM
As a stand alone receiver Its supposed to be very good

A registered Mac address on a product in production will cost between 15-30 Pounds so you can tell if a receiver is 80 Pounds the MAC Address is not registered.

I see now. But you can maybe just change MAC to an old proper PC one couldnt you ?

Do these openmedia boxes have a proper IP ? I have some old motherboards in the loft with built in ethernet ports, so was thinking if I could check if they are pucca registered MAC adds then I would use them on some cheap boxes.

alunfennell
5th November, 2008, 11:53 AM
I see now. But you can maybe just change MAC to an old proper PC one couldnt you ?

Do these openmedia boxes have a proper IP ? I have some old motherboards in the loft with built in ethernet ports, so was thinking if I could check if they are pucca registered MAC adds then I would use them on some cheap boxes.

Mac address are usualy bought by the manufacture and entered methodically during Programing of the receiver, Openbox and other IP Receivers designed especially for the purpose are fine.

But the Eagle Linux Box & other Dreambox clone receivers made in china all use existing used Mac Adresses and when the Gemini team made Gemini 4 patching software fro the dreambox they intenchionaly wrote in a harmfull script for the clone receivers, which made thousands of clone dreamboxes door stops over night.

Many people still do not know they have a fake Dreambox and now China have launched the fake Dreambox 800 they sell on EBAY for the same money as the real product, look the same, work the same, but the Mac Address wich is supposed to be unique is not .

At least Eagle patchers are writing software especially for there receiver and now there are not been thought of as a clone, black box also are not pretending to be a dreambox so hopfully they buy there Mac Adresses.

dabba
5th November, 2008, 03:20 PM
Can anyone shed some light on how this will affect the Linux Black box 500S

this will be my 1st to play with, but dont want to spend ?80 for it to crash and burn.

or are the Black boxes, although technically a clone, genuine ?

thanks

alunfennell
5th November, 2008, 05:29 PM
The specs of the reciver are the same as that of a Dreambox, if they are under Liesance from Dreambox which they could well be as Dreambox to my knowledge have wound down production of the Dreambox 500s for the replacement model the DB800 with HD, If this is the case Black Box could have paid for the rights to product theis receiver and would have to maintaine the standards of Dreambox.

If its the same as the Eagle Linux Box with no Liesancing from Dreambox nobody knows what short cut will be made in the production of the receiver.

My hunch is they are all coming out of china after trying to disguise them as dreamboxes (basicaly clone Machines) for the past year or two have now changed there approach by calling them different names so they can sell more of them in stores and online .