PDA

View Full Version : log in as root?????

blueflash234
5th April, 2010, 10:03 PM
i have just installed a nas system sorted it in windows ok but trying to sort it so debian 5.0.4 can see it,its a netgear and they give you a cd .In the cd it says login as root,my question is when i try to log in username =root and password it does not except and i then have to give my username plus password how do i log in as root thanks

=

ridgey28
8th April, 2010, 11:55 AM
In the cd it says login as root Log in to debian as root?

ces
8th April, 2010, 06:58 PM
in root terminal type su & insert password when promted then you become root

mikedj84
13th April, 2010, 09:20 PM
in Debian and Ubuntu the root account is disabled: to activate it, you have to run the following command from bash: sudo passwd root and enter a new password for root...

then, try to log in as root (username: root, password: the one you decided):beer:

Montiel
13th April, 2010, 09:40 PM
Login as root in the logon screen is disabled, you need to login as a user, then open a terminal an write
~:su
after that u need to put root pwd, then enter. Of course you only became root for that terminal session, if you close it, you will need to do su again.

Btw, you can enable the root login at logon screen, going to System -> Administration -> Logon screen settings (or something like that) -> Security -> Enable root login blah blah blah.

blueflash234
20th April, 2010, 05:46 PM
sorted thanks to everyone :top:

jwr3
6th June, 2010, 02:42 AM
Assuming you are covered by /etc/sudoers, sudo will only ask for your own password to run something as root, in this case it is "su -" which will give you a root shell, the "-" makes it parse the .profile, etc as if it the account had been logged into.