PDA

View Full Version : UK interest rates slashed to 3%

Devilfish
6th November, 2008, 01:31 PM
The Bank of England has cut interest rates in the UK by one-and-a-half percentage points to 3%, its lowest since 1955, in a shock move.

Last month it cut rates from 5% to 4.5% in an emergency move co-ordinated with other central banks.

There had been widespread calls from industry for a major cut as the country begins to face up to the prospect of a deep recession.
It is the most dramatic cut since a two percentage point reduction in 1981.

'Bigger than expected'

The cut comes after a raft of weak economic data recently.

It is the first time the Bank has cut rates by more than half a percentage point since gaining its independence in 1997.

BBC economics editor Hugh Pym said: "The Bank of England is using terms like 'very marked deterioration in the outlook' and 'severe contraction'.

"It is clearly very concerned about the possibility of a prolonged recession in the UK.

"The risks of high inflation have now evaporated, and because the bank is worried that inflation will now fall well below its target, it has felt the need to come up with this cut, which is much bigger than expected."

Mortgage fears

There have been concerns that following a cut in the Bank of England's base rate, it would not be passed on to borrowers.

Output in the manufacturing sector has fallen for seven months in a row

Prime Minister Gordon Brown was asked about this problem in the House of Commons on Wednesday because Abbey had just raised its tracker mortgage rates for new customers.

"We want the banks and building societies to pass on the interest rate cuts to their mortgage holders," he said.

"What we've been trying to do over the last few weeks is get the liquidity into the system, recapitalise our banks and then get them to resume the lending that is necessary."

However Lloyds TSB has promised to pass on the rate cut in full to its variable rate mortgage customers.

The group, which also lends through Cheltenham & Gloucester says its standard variable rate, currently 6.5%, will never be more than 2% above Bank of England base rate.

Manufacturing decline

The Bank of England's interest rate move came after a series of figures released this week provided further evidence that the UK economy is sliding towards recession.

New figures from the Halifax showed house prices fell by another 2.2% in October, pushing the drop in house prices to 13.7% over the past year.

Activity in the service sector, the backbone of the UK economy, shrank in October for the sixth month in a row.

According to an index compiled by the Chartered Institute of Purchase and Supply output from services was at its lowest level since its poll began in 1996.

Also, the Office for National Statistics said that manufacturing output fell for a seventh month in September - the longest run of monthly declines since 1980.

Manufacturing output fell by 0.8% in September, much worse than analysts' expectations, making output 2.3% lower than a year earlier, the sharpest decline since May 2003.

Devilfish
6th November, 2008, 01:33 PM
So now everyone that's been sensible and on a fixed rate is now being penalised and paying double what they should be.

Where is the extra cash going? To feed the fat-cats bonuses! Tossers!

thered
6th November, 2008, 01:39 PM
well at least they might pass this one on to customers they didnt pass the last one on to me

banks are wan*ers they have never helped me out through any sticky patch i have had but first sign of trouble for them and we have to bail them out as taxpayers the system stinks

and your right df most of these execs even though they have ran there companies into the ground have all had millions in bonus's making a mockery of the banks plight the full state of affairs is shambolic

aftermath
6th November, 2008, 01:44 PM
my fixed rate runs out in 2 months.

so this is good news for me to try get a fixed rate for another 7 years.

thered
6th November, 2008, 01:56 PM
well you wont go far wrong m8 lol

still with the rate cut it would not tempt me to buy a house in the current market as i dont think many others

this will only happen when the prices stagnate and at the minute there only going one way down fast

people will not buy houses no matter what the rates get cut too till the market steadies and i dont think it will happen in the near future

it was always a bubble that would burst one day and maybe in the long run will be a good thing as our homes may become more realistic in price instead of the overblown prices of the last few years

freeloader
16th November, 2008, 12:56 AM
No worrie, Europe is still going to hell, cause US is cutting it's Libor to 0%

baaldi
5th December, 2008, 12:28 AM
Hi All

The banks have to pass it on to the mortgage holders now, the sooner the better!!

The experts recon to look for a fixed mortgage rate of around the 4% mark long term. I'm still locked in mine for another 10 months.... DAM

Ballistic
5th December, 2008, 12:50 AM
my fixed rate runs out in 2 months.

so this is good news for me to try get a fixed rate for another 7 years.

Mine runs out next month. Halifux are doing this for current borrows

3.99% fixed until 30th April 2011 ,5.00% for the remainder of the mortgage term, early repayment charged until 30th April 2011

Product fee ?3,999 .........Yikes:thumpdown:

B

mickydibble
5th December, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hi All

The banks have to pass it on to the mortgage holders now, the sooner the better!!

The experts recon to look for a fixed mortgage rate of around the 4% mark long term. I'm still locked in mine for another 10 months.... DAM

just been mulling over my mortgage it runs out in march but have one set up waiting at 4.79%,i`ll ring them now i have this news see if i can get abetter deal....:lollypop:

Ballistic
5th December, 2008, 01:41 PM
you called them yet, interested in what they have come back with...

B

Nasnas
6th December, 2008, 12:34 PM
Good luck matey

dctyper
6th December, 2008, 01:25 PM
ha ha, im tracking at .99 below. ooooo yeh

mickydibble
8th December, 2008, 12:11 PM
you called them yet, interested in what they have come back with...

B

not yet sorry might ring today(got xmas on mind) thnx micky:hmmmm2:

alunfennell
8th December, 2008, 01:43 PM
I belive in Ireland three of the main banks are not passing on the interest rate changes to Irish customers, what I would like to know if in Ireland are the British banks such as RBS, TSB and others passing these changes on ? if so surly there must be a EU commision looking into each countrys banking regulations, especially on the back of British banking customers who shuttled the money into Irish banks on the strength of 100% guarantee for deposits unlike the British banks.

No wonder banking across Europe is at stand still with little or no money been transfered between banks when you have Banks in different countrys competing for each others customers with different types of securities.

This trend should be moved into the conspiracies as the people we never hear of who run the banking world from the echelons of power have systematically distroyed the fabric of the global Finance system, all because we as free thinking people have become more and more aspirational over the last twenty years or so basically we have to many chefs not enough cooks.

mickydibble
18th December, 2008, 07:54 PM
not yet sorry might ring today(got xmas on mind) thnx micky:hmmmm2:

no they wont change rate,rang and they said thats a good deal anyways 4.79 fixed 2 years any better elsewhere people.?...m

bugaloo41
21st December, 2008, 09:55 PM
Thats my ?2 savings gone then - no more interest.

ianmac
22nd December, 2008, 01:11 AM
:mad:Got a 5 year fixed :deal: that's still got 4 years left to run.. :puke:

speric07
28th December, 2008, 10:22 AM
The Government/Bank of England are ruining this country.

It is not right to penalize the savers as they have been doing. Also where are the government going to get the money from the taxes that savings give them? If someone earn't 100 pounds in interest they would pay 22% in tax so 22 pounds. With interest rates as low as they are savers are likely to get 50 pounds now and the government only 11.............. I know what they will do ....... they will borrow of course!

Had a fair bit of money in my bank account and have seen interest on my savings go from just over a tenner a month at 12% to less than a fiver now.

Now I move some of my savings to Poland ..... Take your money to Poland in the summer and you will get 6 Zlotys to the pound and take it back in the winter it's 4 Zlotys will get you a pound.

Last year did the following;

Winter 2007 :: 5000 pounds = 30,000 zlotys

Summer 2008 :: 30,000 zlotys = 7500 pounds = 2500 pounds (in 6 months) profit for doing nothing.

Just wish I had more money to play with!

:cobblers:

mickydibble
30th December, 2008, 07:30 PM
The Government/Bank of England are ruining this country.

It is not right to penalize the savers as they have been doing. Also where are the government going to get the money from the taxes that savings give them? If someone earn't 100 pounds in interest they would pay 22% in tax so 22 pounds. With interest rates as low as they are savers are likely to get 50 pounds now and the government only 11.............. I know what they will do ....... they will borrow of course!

Had a fair bit of money in my bank account and have seen interest on my savings go from just over a tenner a month at 12% to less than a fiver now.

Now I move some of my savings to Poland ..... Take your money to Poland in the summer and you will get 6 Zlotys to the pound and take it back in the winter it's 4 Zlotys will get you a pound.

Last year did the following;

Winter 2007 :: 5000 pounds = 30,000 zlotys

Summer 2008 :: 30,000 zlotys = 7500 pounds = 2500 pounds (in 6 months) profit for doing nothing.

Just wish I had more money to play with!

:cobblers:

sounds good but!!! this country is the way it is by investing our money elsewhere,by the way 50% in 6 months everybody would be doing it banks included..no disrespect:pepsi:.micky

mickydibble
8th January, 2009, 02:33 PM
another 0.5% off base rate today,who is giving the best deals?? anyone know...m